Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Since no one on here knows why they started doing this, my only guess I think, would be the big number of renters in my little community and maybe they are late with bills, so they lump everyone in together? Still doesn't make sense. I will contact the Public Utilities people because trying to get this resolved with Nevada power did not do anything. They told us that everyone that accepts automatic bill pay will not have to pay a deposit, so essentially, they lied. I hate liars.

The only other alternative would be to not use any a/c, and I just can't do it. It was 90 degree's upstairs last night, and I could not sleep for hours, so I got up and put it on 85 with two fans running, and I eventually fell asleep. When it gets too hot in the house, it makes me lethargic and nauseated. I turned it off in the morning.
Pink - Go down to the big office on Sahara and see if you can get a human to explain what is going on. And I would also start hitting the PUC on why this is happening. You might also try the lady on 13 who loves this stuff.

And you sound like you are doing all you can...I complain about 78...and sometimes drop it to 74 if the Admiral is not watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
When we moved to the valley almost 20 years ago, we paid a deposit to get our power turned on, and they returned it within a year. Normal just like any other city.
Now this last year, we received a notice that if we did not let them do automatic withdrawal from our bank account every month, then we would have to pay a $175 deposit. The cooler months it is fine, but not the hot months that started now.
The summer months get too hot, raising bills up too high, so we always did the payment plans. And if we get huge electric bills, they could easily wipe out money needed for other things.
Having to pay an extra deposit just because we have to make payments because we cannot afford the entire thing at once is not a good move on their part. And we just don't have an extra
$175 to give them. Is this deposit only reserved for us that cannot afford to write those $350 summer checks? Or is everyone having to do this as well?
Have you ever asked for balanced billing? They divide your average yearly by month. Makes it much easier to budget. Maybe if you appealed to someone there, they could put you on that plan. Also, look into LIEAP. It's an energy program to help people with those nasty power bills.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:47 PM

47 posts, read 63,434 times
Pink, I don't post much. but your comment on having to not use your AC and suffering through it due to cost caught my attention. Others have given excellent suggestions on how you might find answers to your immediate concern with NV Energy. After sorting that out may I suggest lookng into swam coolers to decrease you summer energy usage. I believe there are lengthy threads on this subject already. I use one myself and it does help lower my energy cost. I use my AC only 2-3 weeks out of the year when humidity goes up making using the swamp cooler ineffective. My electric bill hardly goes over $100 now vs $200+ prior to using one. Just my 2c.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:54 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Pink - Go down to the big office on Sahara and see if you can get a human to explain what is going on. And I would also start hitting the PUC on why this is happening. You might also try the lady on 13 who loves this stuff.

And you sound like you are doing all you can...I complain about 78...and sometimes drop it to 74 if the Admiral is not watching.
I will drag my husband down there and see what we can accomplish. I will also contact the PUC. Do humans every answer that phone? Or email? Are they in the U.S or India? India reps are hard to understand.

I hate summers here only because of the big bills and those rotten big roaches that come in only during the summer. I sometimes think that our a/c isn't working properly, the temps are off, something. It is 15 years old, but cannot buy a new one.
Thanks for the info.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Have you ever asked for balanced billing? They divide your average yearly by month. Makes it much easier to budget. Maybe if you appealed to someone there, they could put you on that plan. Also, look into LIEAP. It's an energy program to help people with those nasty power bills.
The problem with balanced billing if they are going to include the summer months, is the other 6 months of the year, the bills are super low. Easily affordable. If they balanced it out, it would mess up something. The idea sounds good I think if someone uses a lot of electricity.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangler View Post
Pink, I don't post much. but your comment on having to not use your AC and suffering through it due to cost caught my attention. Others have given excellent suggestions on how you might find answers to your immediate concern with NV Energy. After sorting that out may I suggest lookng into swam coolers to decrease you summer energy usage. I believe there are lengthy threads on this subject already. I use one myself and it does help lower my energy cost. I use my AC only 2-3 weeks out of the year when humidity goes up making using the swamp cooler ineffective. My electric bill hardly goes over $100 now vs $200+ prior to using one. Just my 2c.
I like the idea of it, but our HOA will of course forbid it. We are in townhomes, everything has to be the same. Thank you for your concern.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:02 PM

47 posts, read 63,434 times
That's a shame. Perhaps one that does not have to be installed on the wall? A portable maybe? I assume it's better than AC + fans and still not get some relief from the heat. Anyway, I hope you find a better solution to your energy consumption.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 PM

9 posts, read 8,638 times
Quote:
I will drag my husband down there and see what we can accomplish. I will also contact the PUC. Do humans every answer that phone? Or email? Are they in the U.S or India? India reps are hard to understand.
Their office on Sahara does not offer in person customer service. To do this you need to go to their North Las Vegas office.

Have you tried to call them and ask why there is a deposit? They are open 24/7 and when I got a deposit put on for being on payment arrangements after coming off the equal payment plan with a large balance they were more than happy to waive it as a one time courtesy. Their reps are human and speak good English. Not sure if they contract their call center or are local, but the woman I talked to was really easy to understand and walked me through everything they were doing.

Last edited by fast1xc; 04-24-2018 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-24-2018, 06:55 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
The problem with balanced billing if they are going to include the summer months, is the other 6 months of the year, the bills are super low. Easily affordable. If they balanced it out, it would mess up something. The idea sounds good I think if someone uses a lot of electricity.
Mine would be very high in summer, like $300 plus and low in winter, about 45-50. On balanced billing it ended up being like 100 a month or something. This was when I lived out by you.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:

I hate summers here only because of the big bills and those rotten big roaches that come in only during the summer. I sometimes think that our a/c isn't working properly, the temps are off, something. It is 15 years old, but cannot buy a new one.
Thanks for the info.
Pink - Get hold of a reasonable temperature gauge and check the temperature at the inlet grate to your AC and at the outlet grate. You should see something close to 20 degrees F difference. If you don't your AC is busted. And you could be spending money to cool for no purpose.

You can also get a swamp cooler that is entirely inside your unit. Works pretty well in one room. Just have to open the inlet window 6 inches or so and open the outlet windows a bit. you have to haul the water by the pail but it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas