Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 PM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear more on why Siena is losing their golf course. I don't get to play much out that way but always liked that course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I currently live in Sun City Summerlin and absolutely hate it. Whoever said it is greener tends to be somewhat blind. This past year the Board had all the grass removed. It now looks like a stone quarry. SC received a generous rebate from the water company for removing the grass. Something like $400,000 and sneakily as they do everything, this amount never showed up in our balance statement. Instead our dues were raised again right after that.
You don't know what you're talking about. At a guess you've never been to Sun City Anthem. If you have and you still think SCS is not greener you are not somewhat blind you are completely blind.

Grass? We have neighbors with grass, which we don't need here. There's grass all over in our community. Do you only drive on a few streets?

Quote:
As a resident, we have no vote on anything that is done. It is all run by the elected board. The street I live on for instance, is on a steep grade and cars speed by many times a day at over 55 mph. The Board refuses to allow us to have the city put in speed bumps. The Board spends our money loosely. Then they just came back and raise our dues. They are now $122 a month. Higher than Anthems which is run by a management company. And lower than Sienna which is in the process of losing their golf coarse.
I agree with the speed bump fiasco. They put a test strip on a 25mph street and it was so rough you had to drop to 10mph to go over it. Put one in that slows cars to 25mph. Dumb test. If you don't like what the board is doing run for a position.
Quote:
We are controlled with the color we paint our houses, the color we paint our front doors, when we put up Christmas decorations and take them down, if we wash a car in the driveway, etc. The pools are only 4' feet deep. Basically wading pools. No floats are allowed. Very few people use them. It is a very snotty, keep to themselves area. I have lived here 9 years and am still waiting for a neighbor to come and introduce themselves.
And you haven't moved away from this terrible place yet? Did you not bother to read the contract you signed before you bought here? You did no research about how things are done? How did you find the reasons for moving to a community with an HOA if you detest everything that is controlled in one?

Quote:
We have asked for years to have an area designated as a dog park. I, as a former realtor, have tried explaining to them most seniors have dogs and a dog park makes the area even more saleable. The Board refuses to listen. Whenever an board member election is due to happen, those running all claim they are for dogparks but once they get voted in, that suddenly changes and nothing happens.
There is a park on Villa Ridge Drive that people use as a dog park. I see them there all the time.

Quote:
The area is very pro golf and a great deal of our money goes for new carts, bunkers, etc. We also have a large population of coyotes. Nothing can be done about them. Because of them, we have very few rabbits, Nevada quail, feral kittens and little dogs must be constantly supervised.
I agree with the ridiculous amount given to golf here. It's a dying sport and we should not have to support it.

We have quail all over our neighborhood. Our back yard is full of them quite often. Usually six to ten at a time. We see them all the time when we drive around. Rabbits as well. As for coyotes, this is their natural habitat. If you want to live where they aren't you need to move.
Quote:
These places are known as God's Waiting Rooms and now that I live here, I can see why. I would say half the population never leaves their houses. A good percentage of the houses in here are selling around $250 a square foot. For that same amount of money you can buy something in a low priced attractive HOA neighborhood of about $20-40 a month and get a 3 car garage, 3-4 bedroom, fireplaces and your own pool. It's sad to reach retirement age and then be treated like a kindergartner.
You must not go to anything here. Every show at the Pinnacle is almost always full. Any time I go to one of the community centers there are people there. Are you a member of any clubs?

And yes, these places are known as God's waiting room. Mostly for unhappy people who sit and gripe instead of getting out and enjoying life. Contrary to your experience we have found there is so much to do here that we have to turn down offers. We have met wonderful people, joined clubs, and travel with friends in the U.S. and Europe. We don't find the rules to be restrictive. We appreciate not having a purple house next door. We appreciate that there are standards to be followed because so many people don't take care of their property if there aren't.

Last edited by elnina; 11-28-2018 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: OP request

Old 11-25-2018, 11:57 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
I know you love it here Tek Freek. I've had communications with you on Next Door Neighbors. I have no interest in community rooms, overpriced work out equipment, tennis courts or any of the 62 clubs or spending $14 for unknown groups at the Pinnacle. We are part of the group on Villa Ridge. Come down some evening and I'll gladly talk to you in person. That is not a dedicated dog park. It's a piece of land that has never been built on. Us dog owners have to watch our pets like a hawk. Perhaps you have never noticed it is not gated and since this long street is one I live on, I can assure you many cars take it at 50 some miles an hour. Also it has a culvert and if you know anything about coyotes, they tend to hang out there. I have always lived with HOA's and at times been a board member. These HOA's were run with the members voting on issues. All I want of my next one is supervision of neighborhood standards. If you approve of how your money is spent, God bless you. If you can be that loose with your money, lucky you. I really wished I lived in the not aware of things world you lived in.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:13 PM

I am very aware. I was aware of the environment being a desert and grass, bushes, trees, etc are not a natural thing. I was aware that there were coyotes here. There were coyotes where I lived before. I knew what the HOA fees were. I knew there were numerous golf courses and that they needed help staying afloat. I knew all this because I took a lot of time learning about the community before deciding to move. Something you obviously did not do. What it costs to live in this community is acceptable to us.

And I don't think this community is perfect. No community is. It seems that you want everything your own way and to Hell with everyone else.

I think my late brothers house is for sale. You can do whatever you want there and there is no HOA fee.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/31%C2%B026'17.3%22N+111%C2%B001'41.8%22W/@31.4381389,-111.0304719,594m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x86d68193794d14b f:0x11419bf28db982c7!2sGreen+Valley,+AZ!3b1!8m2!3d 31.8542511!4d-110.9937019!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d31.438138!4d-111.0282642?hl=en

I don't look for things to complain about which seems to be your thing.

I am not on Next Door.

I'm okay with the majority of what money is spent on. Not all (Golf courses). I agree there should be a dog park. It's silly that there isn't one.

This is the natural habitat for coyotes. You are not allowed to harm them. You should not be allowed to harm them. If you had done due diligence before you moved here you would have known this. I hope that the next time you move you do enough research that you won't be miserable like you are here.

Good luck on your move.

Edit: I have been to exactly one show at the Pinnacle I didn't care for. I think perhaps you just refuse to enjoy anything here. It's a shame.

Last edited by elnina; 11-28-2018 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: OP request

Old 11-25-2018, 12:34 PM

158 posts, read 174,662 times
To the OP. My parents regularly take advantage of the golf, fitness center, pools and shows. Sun City Summerlin is perfect for those who want to live an active lifestyle. If your looking for a beautifully maintained active adult community look no further than Sun City Summerlin.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:56 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,317,694 times
And let me add to the end of this discussion, people with unlimited funds who do not care how their money is spent.

There are no contracts that are signed with the HOA when you purchase, In fact, it takes about 3 weeks before you are presented with the 3 inch binder that contains all the rules you must live with. One might get a little edgy at closing when they are charged a $1464 fee for what they call a NORA. If one checks, it stands for new owner registration and is another way to get additional money out of you. Supposedly it costs that to enter the new owners name.

I will not go into how the Board has gotten into our reserve fund, which if I'm not mistaken is illegal, and how our money is spent. Seems I have encountered someone who is quite happy spending heavily to make friends and have things to do. Me, I worked 3 jobs most of my life to arrive at this time. To others, when I say I have not had much success meeting others to socialize with, what I just ran into here gives you a good example.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:30 PM

158 posts, read 174,662 times
Quote:
And let me add to the end of this discussion, people with unlimited funds who do not care how their money is spent.

There are no contracts that are signed with the HOA when you purchase, In fact, it takes about 3 weeks before you are presented with the 3 inch binder that contains all the rules you must live with. One might get a little edgy at closing when they are charged a $1464 fee for what they call a NORA. If one checks, it stands for new owner registration and is another way to get additional money out of you. Supposedly it costs that to enter the new owners name.

I will not go into how the Board has gotten into our reserve fund, which if I'm not mistaken is illegal, and how our money is spent. Seems I have encountered someone who is quite happy spending heavily to make friends and have things to do. Me, I worked 3 jobs most of my life to arrive at this time. To others, when I say I have not had much success meeting others to socialize with, what I just ran into here gives you a good example.
The NORA fee goes towards the capital improvement fund. Any buyer is given the CCnRs and HOA bylaws before closing. I can assure you that the board has engaged in no illegal activity and to flippantly and erroneously suggest otherwise is reckless. As someone whose career has been dedicated to large HOA and municipal audits Sun City Summerlin is the best run and fiscally responsible association I have ever reviewed.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:33 PM

Whether or not you sign an agreement you can gain access to the documents and read them. Not doing so is on you. We knew exactly what was in them before we signed closing papers. One more example of you not doing due diligence then and bitching about it now.

I found this resource without logging into the site. Scroll down to Governing Documents. Everything you need to know regarding our association's Rules and Regulations, By-Laws, Covenants, and Design Standards is there. All you had to do before you bought here was find it and read it.

We do not have "unlimited funds". What a stupid assumption to make. And you're not the only one who worked multiple jobs to get here. No sympathy since I've done the same. I spent years doing s**t jobs most would never consider. I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and ended up with a good career at the end of my working life. Zero help from anyone and no college education. So save your boo hoo for someone else.

What you ran into here is likely the same you run into off these boards. That would be people like me who avoid negative, complaining, whiny people. No one wants to spend time with someone who does nothing but feel sorry for themselves.

Your "end of the discussion" is an egotistical statement. No one gave you permission to end this thread.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 11-25-2018 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 PM

And I would like to apologize to the OP.

This discussion is not indicative of every day life here. All it takes is one poster who is very much uninformed and biased to send us off track.

Pay attention to what Princeton1990 says. That poster is well informed.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
To the OP. My parents regularly take advantage of the golf, fitness center, pools and shows. Sun City Summerlin is perfect for those who want to live an active lifestyle. If your looking for a beautifully maintained active adult community look no further than Sun City Summerlin.
We agree. We don't use as many things as others due to (mostly my) health problems, but we take advantage of a lot of activities here. As I said in an earlier post there is so much to do that we have to turn down invitations.

OP, next time you are in town DM me and if we are here I'll give you a tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: