Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
It is ironic that Nevada is the most dangerous state, yet Vegas is 75% of the state, and we are not in the top 25 most dangerous cities. Just goes to show you.
That is strange. I just did a bit of looking and it kinda makes no sense at all.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM

81 posts, read 356,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbird12000 View Post
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I'm moving my family out to NW Las Vegas from Southern California. California too expensive, dangerous and over crowded.

I have an opportunity to live in the 89108 Off Rainbow, South of Vegas BLVD. and North of Washington AVE. I'm 38 years old, Rent limit for me is around $1,400. BUT this house is from family and I'm moving in for 1,000 a month straight. 3 bedroom 1,350sq. ft. single detached house.

I spent the night over there last night, neighborhood is quiet, took a drive around the surrounding area to the end of Rainbow and then back down to the south of the 159 at night and all was quiet and seemed pretty nice; new shopping and restaurant areas north of my place. neighbors are friendly and the woman who lived there for 3 years said there has never been any problems. However, that crime map can be a little bit un nerving with the burglaries. Even in the Sommerlin map , there were a significant number of burglaries and other crimes. I'm interested to know what you think.

I know Summerlin is just west of me, but I am wandering about the crime and danger areas of my potential new home. Any insight and knowledge about the 89108 area I'm talking about would be greatly appreciated.

I got the finger on the red button, so if there's a safety concern out there I have no problem ending the deal.

THanks again.
did u guys consider phoenix?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Is that east of Rainbow? We lived on Greyeagle from 91 to 94 and it was all right then. When I drive through there now some of it looks like it went downhill quite a bit and some of it is OK. We walked all over that area at night and never a problem. I don't think I would now though. Summerlin is quite a bit west of there but what is in between isn't the best. For that low rent, take it and see what you think after you've been there a while. Can you get it on a month to month or do you have to sign a lease?
Luckily I can do the month to month.. It's East of Rainbow on Miners Hope Dr.

Last edited by Manbird12000; 04-07-2008 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That is strange. I just did a bit of looking and it kinda makes no sense at all.

Why?
It is structural. If you go to the FBI statistics stuff you will find out that on violent crime rate NV is third or fourth depending on whether you include DC. It is number one only on the CQ foolishness...which includes car thefts to avoid being identical to the FBI data.

If however you go to a cities above 100,000 it is in the middle third.

The reason is that NV is the third most urban state in the US...behind only CA and NY. Urban areas generally have higher population density and higher crime rates than suburban and rural areas. Simple as that. NV is really one big city and one small city and not much else.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,421 times
That is a very good point.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 AM

13 posts, read 28,354 times
Default Dont move to vegas

I have lived here now for 4 years and have wanted to get out for more than 3 1/2. Dont mve your family here, it will be a huge mistake, this towns cares zero about children and family's. The crime rate here is horrible, most of which never hits the news due to the fear of losing gamblers. Las vegas is not as high as so cal, but not much different and the weather here us miserable unless you like hell. the place reaks of hookers everywhere, not just the strip, nothing to do for familys at all, and finding a job here that sticks is not happeneing. I must have been through 5 seperate comapnies all to fail miserably due to the transient people and buisness here. Trust me please find somewhere nice to move them. Your wife will be miserable and so will your kids. This place is the cess pool of the US

Old 09-02-2008, 01:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtavegas View Post
I have lived here now for 4 years and have wanted to get out for more than 3 1/2. Dont mve your family here, it will be a huge mistake, this towns cares zero about children and family's. The crime rate here is horrible, most of which never hits the news due to the fear of losing gamblers. Las vegas is not as high as so cal, but not much different and the weather here us miserable unless you like hell. the place reaks of hookers everywhere, not just the strip, nothing to do for familys at all, and finding a job here that sticks is not happeneing. I must have been through 5 seperate comapnies all to fail miserably due to the transient people and buisness here. Trust me please find somewhere nice to move them. Your wife will be miserable and so will your kids. This place is the cess pool of the US
Is that why the county parks and recreations department builds a couple of public pools a year? Or why Vegas has more parks per capita than any other city I've lived in (all over SoCal and Seattle), especially the 5 within a 2 minute drive of my home in the NW particularly the new Centennial Hills YMCA ? Is that why in the 15 years I've lived here I've never come across a hooker, even though I've hung out on the strip quite a bit in my younger days and downtown quite a bit as well (not the Fremont St Experience, the real downtown)? Is that why my son is one of the happiest, most well behaved children I have ever known, particularly compared to the many spoiled brats in CA? Nothing to do? How about youth sports of all kinds, including ice hockey? How about summer camps, science clubs, scouts, hiking, fishing, the mountain, the lake, Red Rock, bowling, museums (although more scarce than in CA), the zoo, the petting zoo at Bonnie Springs, libraries, and of course there is the old stand-by quality family time (reading, board games, BBQ's, swimming, etc.) The crime rate out here is very average, and this has been proven time and again with FBI statistics, even multiple times in this very thread. Vegas, like anyplace else, takes effort to make it work. It sounds to me like you aren't willing to put forth any, with either your family or your employment, and you will reap what you sow whether it be here or WA or ID or ND or any of the abundance of other states that you would consider more "family friendly". Good luck to you wherever you end up.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:04 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
One man's paradise is another man's hell...and vice versa.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
In any and every city some subset lose. It is often the propensity of the one who loses to blame the city rather than his or her own abilities or blind luck.

Las Vegas is, and remains, a rather standard southwestern city. It is neither better or worse than the others.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbird12000 View Post
Luckily I can do the month to month.. It's East of Rainbow on Miners Hope Dr.
It's definately not one of the better zip codes in the valley...I have the same one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas