Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2020, 07:11 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Or Beaumont, CA, already cheaper than Las Vegas. Excellent weather at 2,500 ft. elevation, higher than Las Vegas.
Many areas of the Las Vegas metro are at 2,500 ft. elevation, or exceed that, fyi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 08:12 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Have you been to Moreno Valley in the past 20 years. The smog is no worse than LV. Much better than SLC in the winter.
Certainly far worse than Baker, at least until the new international airport is built just down the road in Ivanpah.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:16 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Might be expanding the weld school into LA. I'm looking forward to the weather but the pay difference I'll need after taxes and increased expenses is insane. Weirdly though the shop space is cheaper than here.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:53 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whenever there's talk of downsizing or closing a military base in the U.S., you hear the screams: This city needs those jobs, whether the jobs are needed or not.

It's no secret the biggest waste in Washington is the military.

And what I find suspicious, is that 90% of our Senators receive campaign money from the war industries, and they vote accordingly. Let's not bite the hand that feeds them, year after year, decade after decade.

I'd love to see them close Monathan here in Tucson, I'm tired of the noise, the noise, the noise. You have to be careful buying RE in this city, as you don't want to be in the path of Monathan AFB. And then we have that Army base out in Sierra Vista, some 20-30,000 of them out there.
So you being tired of the noise of jets means that it is military waste? The base was there before you bought. Some of the most expensive real estate in CA is on the flight path of bases in the San Diego area.

Also Ft Huachuca has maybe 5000 soldiers not 20-30,000.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:16 PM

628 posts, read 397,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
That’s the trick the government pulls on people, making it an individual issue to get people to draw attention away from the broader issue of waste; the single military soldier and their family when in reality the waste is more systematic.

Most of the waste comes from no bid contracts, bloated projects for hardware that costs billions that will never work, use it or lose it budgeting, redundant programs, etc....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mil...waste.html/amp

I have great respect to the lower ranks of soldiers who commit to defending this country and whatever benefits they get since they earned it. I do take issue with the idea that the military budget gets a pass when it comes to waste when we could be funding other programs with the 125 Billion that’s just being burned; child care, early education, low income work grants, lower taxes, ect.

Before anyone jumps in and starts to point out that the government wastes money on other programs, or should not tax anyone just needs to chill. I’m not interested in that debate.

My point is that in the name of patriotism we blindly support the largest source of waste on our government while demonizing any waste or program that goes to people that are less fortunate.
Boom Batter, and my pockets are getting fatter. Yes, as a contractor I tend to make significantly more than my counterparts in the private sector although UMC for example pays up to 38.00 hourly for what I do.

We pay the price in other ways, no real stability, annual layoffs are not uncommon. Nine of us sat home with our thumbs up our rears collecting unemployment of 400 per week from 11-22 to 12-27.

I have a great example to share. I was hired in 2010 to work at Elmendorf in Anchorage and was told a minimum of one year. I drove an old Ford Contour with 100,000 miles on it for sixty hours one way. My company had me start in late June 2010, by the end of September, they lost the contract and said the numbers do not justify your position. What if I had moved my whole family up there? I was single luckily.

So what is that? Something to put on my tombstone? Character building? It never ceases to amaze me how people can hide behind their computers and make blanket statements. Get down in the mud with me and then come and talk to me! No bid contracts? 17 companies bid on our contract for eight employees.

Last edited by WisconsinVegasHeights; 01-07-2020 at 11:32 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 01:25 AM

779 posts, read 471,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Baker is the gateway to the budding metropolis of Victorville, which will soon be linked to Las Vegas by high speed rail. Time is running out to snap up bargains.
Pass.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:59 AM

628 posts, read 397,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Whenever there's talk of downsizing or closing a military base in the U.S., you hear the screams: This city needs those jobs, whether the jobs are needed or not.

It's no secret the biggest waste in Washington is the military.

And what I find suspicious, is that 90% of our Senators receive campaign money from the war industries, and they vote accordingly. Let's not bite the hand that feeds them, year after year, decade after decade.

I'd love to see them close Monathan here in Tucson, I'm tired of the noise, the noise, the noise. You have to be careful buying RE in this city, as you don't want to be in the path of Monathan AFB. And then we have that Army base out in Sierra Vista, some 20-30,000 of them out there.
I work with Active duty, Civilian GS employees and other contractors. They are human beings and the vast majority of them are of very high character. You will not find a more honorable group of people in the whole of Las Vegas or North Las Vegas.

We all support one another and when I first started I said to my Captain, thank you for your service. That means a lot to them. He went to U.A.E. for six months and came back with his same level of integrity and support for all of us.

I have worked at a few other bases and the level of respect from the military leadership is unprecedented in my experience. I could easily be one of their fathers at 48 and who wouldn't love being being called "sir" all day. Nellis rescued me from a lost and abandoned career.

Let me tell you something, 17 years ago I was in the same field as I am now and remembered my visit to Las Vegas in 2001 and it was always in the back of my mind how cool it would be to live in a city that I instantly adored in 2001 and then the thought of working at Nellis was always there in my mind somewhere.

A life cannot be put on a schedule and it took a long time but here I am. Time to live in the moment.

Ah, people ask me questions
Lost in confusion
Well, I tell them there's no problem
Only solutions
Well, they shake their heads and they look at me, as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry, I'm just sitting here doing time.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:43 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I'm looking forward to the weather but the pay difference I'll need after taxes and increased expenses is insane.
I have had several inquiries from corporate headhunters, mostly for jobs in California. The discussion usually ends when I do the math. Add in the cost of moving, paying state income tax, and an insane housing cost (one area that I was offered in Orange County has a housing cost about five times what it is where I currently live), and it just hasn't been worth it.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Guess who won't let the VA close obsolete hospitals? Yep - the US House of Representatives, specifically Congressmen/Congresswomen from affected and surrounding districts. Sad.
Have you ever spend a night looking at some abandoned hospital videos on YouTube?

I have heard many times over the years that these hospitals were "obsolete" yet even if you look at the ones built in the 1930s, aside from architectural style, the general principal of the place seems to be exactly the same as the hospitals we build new today. The US is literally littered with abandoned hospitals.

I have to wonder why these older establishments cannot be renovated economically.

I suppose a lot of it has to do with older, asbestos containing structures. The US Gov't seems to have a decent track record of abandoning asbestos containing buildings, opening the windows and the doors, and waiting for them to fall down on their own - even leaving utilities on probably hoping the place will burn down on its own.

But even then, there are some places clearly built in the 80s that would not have these problems that have just been left to rot.

I guess what I'm getting at is the VA will probably complain that they need to get rid of these "obsolete" hospitals, but then they'll be screaming out of the other corner of their mouth that they need more money to build new ones.

For instance, a few years back there was a hospital in DC they shut down. About a year later, the city wanted funding to tear it down because it was allegedly "obsolete," yet they were just successfully treating patients there a year before? A couple years after that, people were complaining of lack of hospital services in the city and the city wanted funding to build a new one. Sounds like a racket to me.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:26 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I have had several inquiries from corporate headhunters, mostly for jobs in California. The discussion usually ends when I do the math. Add in the cost of moving, paying state income tax, and an insane housing cost (one area that I was offered in Orange County has a housing cost about five times what it is where I currently live), and it just hasn't been worth it.
I've had the same experience. I regularly get headhunters wanting me to move to Cali to fill position XYZ but the numbers just don't add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas