Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 04:01 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times

Advertisements

They're also about $20k more expensive. I also don't like buying those kinds of cars pre-owned. You just don't know if they've been tracked and beat up.

Being in a Camaro club, I've seen it first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 04:36 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
They're also about $20k more expensive. I also don't like buying those kinds of cars pre-owned. You just don't know if they've been tracked and beat up.

Being in a Camaro club, I've seen it first hand.

I saw one with 5k miles going for 50. Not much more than an SS and it's pretty hard to screw up a well built car in 5k miles.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
It will. I do a lot of work on Hondas. The 90s Hondas used to last forever and be really easy to maintain. Modern Hondas break down quite often and are a lot harder to maintain.
Matter of fact one of my mechanics is a die hard Honda guy. He has 7 of them and has had several more. He won't buy any Honda newer than 2005.

That said, MOST modern cars will do just fine if you maintain them properly. Honda, Mercedes, Bmw, and Chrysler just tend to be really finicky about everything.

I'm a Honda guy, and just like your friend won't buy anything newer than 2005. I've had 80's, 90's,00's honda's forever and they are rock solid. But Honda lost their way, they're not the same company as before.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:28 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,782 times
I have learned so much about cars from this guy below. He has been a mechanic for over 50 years. He will tell you that Toyota's and Lexus's are the best built and trouble free cars. Only buy a Honda or Mazda with a manual transmission. Avoid Hyundai's and Kia's. Nissan's were good until Renault merged with them. Do not buy newer ones, especially with the cvt transmission. These are a few things off hand that I have learned from him.

https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykilmer

Old 04-30-2019, 03:34 PM
EA

That dude is on cocaine. Not even joking. He's a big joke in the mechanic world. I'll take a recent Hyundai or kia over a Toyota or Lexus. Toyota used to be fantastic. Now they don't even build half their cars. Subaru, BMW, GM, Yamaha, and a couple others build their cars now.
They rode their name for so long they're practically garbage now. The old Tacomas were amazing and unbreakable. The new ones are straight garbage and overpriced.

Nissan is fine for the most part. The cvt does have some issues but with a warranty they are covered. Mine was replaced no questions asked and no cost to me.

The only issue with mazda is parts sourcing. They make em in mexico and japan and apparently they use different suppliers in each country. You need the vin to get the parts but that's not a big deal.

Honestly, any car with a warranty is fine. It's when that warranty runs out that'd I'd avoid some of them like Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Chrysler/dodge, Subaru, and Nissan.

Even with Toyota declining in quality I would still own one out of warranty. Same with Kia and Hyundai.

I wouldn't take a single Chevy car except for the zl1 and z06.
Ford has some ok stuff but I'm meh about them. I would take an f150.
Rams are the only Chrysler products I'd buy. I wouldn't even take a Viper. Seriously. You couldn't pay me to take a Dodge or Chrysler. The sebring is probably the worst car ever made.
Maserati is Chrysler so avoid those too.
They're so bad I turn them down at the shop. I don't want to touch a Chrysler product.
F mercedes. I turn those down too.
F VW but I will work on them.

Audi and bmw I would take with a warranty.

Surprisingly the new Ferrari, Mclarens, and Lambos are pretty great.
People are daily driving the Huracan, 458, 488, 570s, 670, and 720s. If I could afford to buy one I'd absolutely daily drive a Huracan, 458, or 720s. I know a guy who put 50k miles on his Huracan and supercharged it 20k miles ago. Daily drives it and has only had 1 issue beyond basic maintenance. One brake line broke but was more than likely some jealous idiot vandalizing it. Hard brake lines don't typically break like that.

Porsche I don't know about. I've never driven one or even ridden in one. I've never worked on one. Hell, I don't even know anyone that has one that isn't air cooled. (technically beetle engines)

Old 04-30-2019, 03:59 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,969 times
I got four Honda cars and the newest is a 2013 Pilot. All of them are rock solid.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I have learned so much about cars from this guy below. He has been a mechanic for over 50 years. He will tell you that Toyota's and Lexus's are the best built and trouble free cars. Only buy a Honda or Mazda with a manual transmission. Avoid Hyundai's and Kia's. Nissan's were good until Renault merged with them. Do not buy newer ones, especially with the cvt transmission. These are a few things off hand that I have learned from him.

https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykilmer

Everybody does have their own opinion. I never really cared for Scottys assessment on vehicles in his past videos.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
I got four Honda cars and the newest is a 2013 Pilot. All of them are rock solid.
I'm not saying every Honda is bad. But they do have a lot of potential issues. With that Pilot keep up with the transmission maintenance. That's their main issue.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I'm not saying every Honda is bad. But they do have a lot of potential issues. With that Pilot keep up with the transmission maintenance. That's their main issue.
Your sure right with that. I do a four quart tranny fluid drain and fill every other oil change on all of them. I lost the tranny on my 05 Pilot at 147K. Got it rebuilt and updated and its been running like a champ currently at 107K.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
One of these: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/m...mer-h1-review/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas