Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:49 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
We drove from MI to LV in June 2006 with 3 kids and 2 dogs. We also took the northern route. It actually was fine. We took 3 days and stopped whenever we wanted to. The worse part was going through the mountains in Colorado. My black Lab and my 9 year old daughter were both whining about their ears. Seriously, my poor dog whimpered in the back for about 3 hours while driving. We kept thinking he had to go to the bathroom but whenever we stopped he just rolled around and scratched at his ears.

The other thing was, when we stopped at rest stops starting in, I believe Colorado, we started seeing a spigot marked "potable water". Well, we had no idea what kind of water it was so we would take the water jug into the bathroom and fill it with water for the dogs. Later, after arriving in LV, we asked a relative what "potable water" was and they told us it was water that is suitable for drinking. Soooo, save yourself the trek to the restroom and fill the dogs water at the "potable water" spigot!!!!

Good luck and enjoy the drive, there is some beautiful country out there.
Never thought about the altitude hurting dogs ears. The Eisenhower tunnel is at 11,000 feet I think. Maybe your vet can give you some ear drops. Or take the southern route. One should see both routes at some time in their lives. From Cleveland it might be the same distance either way. We made that trip early in the evening on the 4th of July one year. On the western slope there is one ski resort after another and each one entertained us with a fireworks display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
the "northern route" came out from my gps.. what is the southern route

Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 PM

92 posts, read 184,768 times
We drove from Michigan last October with our two dogs. They weren't even used to car rides, other than to the vet, to the boarder, etc. The first 1/2 day or so, they were pretty anxious, but then they settled down and really did quite well. We had the back seat fixed up as a bed for them. Be sure to fill in the floor with boxes or something, so that they have an even area, and won't slide to the floor. Frequent stops are necessary, and I even got a dog water bottle kind of thing so that I could give them drinks without stopping. They didn't eat much during the trip, but we offered them food every evening, and they did eat their treats. It was surprisingly easy to find lodging that would take pets. We found the AAA travel guides more helpful than the pet friendly info that we bought on line. The AAA books list all the motels, and have little pet icons for the ones that take pets. They also tell whether or not there is an extra fee, and have phone numbers for all of the motel/hotels, so you can call ahead.

We couldn't stop and do restaurant meals--it was strictly fast food and eating at rest stops, because we didn't want to leave them alone in the car. But the trip was really surprisingly easy with them.

We went the southern route, because I drove out with my daughter taking the northern route the year before, and the Eisenhower pass almost gave me a nervous breakdown. Snow, ice, and no visibility--and it was late April.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 PM

how long did it take from michigan and how often did you have to stop with your dogs? what is the southern route?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the "northern route" came out from my gps.. what is the southern route
Southern route is 96 miles further but you don't go over an 11,000 foot mountain. There are some mountains though, and more desert.:
Driving Directions from Cleveland, OH to Albuquerque, NM

Northern Route:
Driving Directions from Cleveland, OH to Las Vegas, NV

Both are scenic but different kind of scenery. You're looking at three long days either way. Four if you plan to take it easy.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM

if you take either route, where would you stop? is it better in the desert or in the mountains with the dogs.. luckily, the car we would drive is a 2008 so i would assume no problems. figure 10hrs a day driving.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
if you take either route, where would you stop? is it better in the desert or in the mountains with the dogs.. luckily, the car we would drive is a 2008 so i would assume no problems. figure 10hrs a day driving.
Where you stop depends on where you is. Up until Texas you'll be in the east with all kinds of towns. But Amarillo, TX, Tucumcari, NM, Albuquerque, NM, Flagstaff, AZ, are good places to shoot for. You'll see small motels along the way in small towns though. Again, they are spread far apart and the motels won't be the nicest probably. If you drive 10 hours a day, you will probably stop at least 2 hours, so figure how far you can get in 12 hours or whatever. Print out that Mapquest map and use it. Keep in mind that once into New Mexico the towns are a lot farther apart. The dogs won't care which so one isn't better than the other. Do you plan to get here as fast as possible or are you interested in stopping to see some really interesting stuff along the way? Whatever, don't stress out. Just enjoy the drive. It's great scenery either route. Try Googling all the states you'll pass through and read up on what you might get to see. If you take the southern route stop in Albuquerque to eat. Best food in the U.S., but it will probably be spicy for Ohio tastes.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:04 PM

If you take the northern route, after Denver I'd shoot for Grand Junction, CO. We spent a night in Green River, UT, once. Beaver, UT, has a few decent motels but once you get there you'll smell the barn and want to keep driving. It's about 200 miles from Vegas. Cedar City is very nice as is St. George, UT, if you're too tired to continue driving. I don't know what you find before you get to Colorado, but I do know that driving across Iowa and Nebraska is the most God awful boring drive there is.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM

40 posts, read 120,685 times
Default some ideas

I have driven from Philadelphia PA to Las Vegas about 4-5 times and i have taken both routes. If you take I70 you have to go through colorado and depending on the time you go you might still have snow to deal with. The rest of that drive is pretty easy except for the colorado part. i have been told that your car has to be specially tuned for high altitude and I didn't know that so I was going about 35 miles and hour in my 4 wheel drive toyota(6 cyl.) with a small uhaul on the back up the big mountains of colorado. everyone around me was zipping around at about 75....felt pretty dangerous going so slow. I don't prefer that route. a couple of other times I took I40 through tenn, texas, new mexico....a much better route i think. Although some things to think about is the heat if you are traveling in the summer. it is pretty bad through texas and new mexico. Texas also has some pretty bad weather to deal with in the summer. Bad thunderstorms and possible tornadoes. But, the next time i drive back home it will definitely be on 40. I wouldn't put my animals on a plane either. they toss them around like luggage. i took my cat with me one time and we just stayed in motel 6's. they charge you 10 per pet per night, but it was worth it. It took roughly 4 days to get out here driving 10-12 hours a day sometimes less. it is nice to get a good look of the country and you should really enjoy it!! good luck!!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,927 times
i have driven all over the place with my dogs (including multiple trips between the west and milwaukee...both of the discussed routes) and never had too much of a problem. just make sure they are used to riding in the car and they will be fine.

both routes have their positives and negatives, but it sounds as if you are in a newer vehicle so neither should be a problem. obviously use your head...if it is hot, don't leave them unattended in the car (e.g. you will be eating your meals in the car). personally, i find having them along makes it easier to drive further legs because i periodically stop to let them out - meaning i also get out and walk around...15-20 every couple hours seems to make a difference, especially when i was driving my old truck (no cruise cntl on that beast).

i'm jealous that you might be swing thru NM...i really miss the food (as buzz pointed out it is something special if you inclined toward spice)...but it would be kinda hard to eat the good stuff on the run (i still have family there, so i always have a place to leave the dogs while i go for a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas