Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 06:02 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times

Advertisements

I imagine Macy's will keep one store open in the valley, probably the one at Fashion Show Mall and JC Penney's will probably close all but the one at Meadow Mall but Meadows Mall seems like a dead mall to me as well. Perhaps there's space for JC Penney's in Fashion Show Mall as well and they may move there.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:02 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,057,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Well that is incorrect. But please, find the source where it's 1.6%
Okay, how about someone else on the board come up with an actual rebuttal with facts and statistics instead of me doing all of the work for you?

Why don't YOU find the source that proves what I've said wrong, and post it.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Check out this youtube channel. He's been documenting a lot of dead malls and stores on his videos. They've already not been able to keep their shelves stocked in several stores including the one in Vegas.

In the 2nd video they talk about how they pulled product from multiple stores to stock their Vegas store during CES and it still felt like a dead store.
Awful...Sounds fatal. may force me to start up to keep my id functional.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Fry's has been quietly dying for a while now. I went to Fry's here back in November, and half the aisles were empty. If you dig around on youtube you can find a couple videos from people inside Fry's showing the empty shelves. On another board I am on, there was some discussion about this at the time. Some people supposing that Fry's may have been selling down to file a bankruptcy at the end of the xmas season. That doesn't seem to have come to fruition, though.

Macy's and JCP are typically mall anchors. If you're not aware of what's been going on with malls the past few years, go look up Dan Bell's Dead Mall Series on YouTube.

Kohl's is typically an anchor in "power center" style strip malls. I haven't seen many of these dying. The last time I was in the Kohl's down on Blue Diamond, it looked like shopper numbers were pretty typical.

A lot of manufacturing centric areas of the US no longer have the populations they once had. I suspect that's one of the reasons a lot of these places are dying. If you spend any time reading comments on some of these dead mall videos you'll often find comments indicating that the stores in question didn't actually shut down per-se, they just moved to a better/newer location where the shoppers are now.

A lot of these malls were built in economic development zones where the master plan never fully came to fruition. After many years of mediocre performance, the owners are finally calling it quits and looking for redevelopment.

Here in Vegas, I think Boulevard Mall and Meadows Mall are two examples. Both have taken some steps to branch out beyond what was typically available in a mall setting. The last time I went to Galleria, it looked mostly okay. Some empty storefronts but by no means deserted.
Kohl's has too many stores in many metros. It is one of the last shoes to drop in the retail apocalypse.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Kohl's has too many stores in many metros. It is one of the last shoes to drop in the retail apocalypse.
I've read the same things about malls in general being overbuilt.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I've read the same things about malls in general being overbuilt.
We still have an over saturation of retail. I think Europe has 3-4 times less retail than USA.

Downtown Summerlin should've built a high rise residential tower. They just added another mall that will be dead in 20 years.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:15 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
The retail apocalypse was going on well before this. Amazon and Walmart took a lot of their customers. I don't know if this will accelerate that or not. Amazon is hiring a ton of new workers to meet the recent demand though. I was reading an article in the WSJ talking about how they're seeing the fastest labor shift in history. People losing jobs are going where they can find more stable work. https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/cor...ft-11585474206

Old 03-29-2020, 06:59 PM

727 posts, read 1,057,071 times
Quote:
okay, how about someone else on the board come up with an actual rebuttal with facts and statistics instead of me doing all of the work for you?

Why don't you find the source that proves what i've said wrong, and post it.
lol

Old 03-29-2020, 07:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Frys has the worst sales and service staff

Old 03-29-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
lol
Yeah, lol. I've posted link after link and fact after fact and all that the opposition seems to post is senseless bitching and "no you're wrong" with no actual evidence to back up their arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas