Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,901 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone can offer some advice here... Being a resident of LV for 15 years, I cannot believe what I'm going through! I went to the DMV to register my new motorcycle that I paid cash for, from from a guy in AZ. He is an independent dealer working from his home. In trying to register this bike, I first went thru a VIN inspection at the DMV since the bike was new and never registered before, and all went well. I took that paperwork, the bill of sale, the title, and my proof of insurance to the counter, only to realize the odometer statement was never filled out on the back of the title. Of course, I was told to get that information from the seller. Well, I can't seem to get that done. I cannot get the seller to cooperate. Always busy, never home, always on the road, tells me he'll be there, and never shows, never returns phone calls... etc... This has been ongoing for almost a month and I'm about out of patience! A lesson learned!!! Anyway, I did check with the manufacturer, and the bike is legal, not stolen or anything like that. He is an authorized dealer as well. I'm just unfortunate to be dealing with a "flake" who took the money and is now hard to reach. How do I get around this? If he suddenly left town, and I couldn't locate him, then what would happen? How would I get my bike registered without his odometer statement filled out on the back of the title? No one seems to know. If he forgets to sign the back, he drops dead tomorrow, and I cannot get his signature, does this mean I can never register the bike? There are no provisions for something like this within the DMV? I'm about to sign the back of the title myself (or get someone else to do it) and be done with it! I'm simply trying to do the right thing. If someone knows a way around this... please share. Thanks!

Last edited by RV guy; 04-26-2008 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 01:25 AM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
Just scribble on the back of the damn thing and get on with it. I registered a salvaged 73 VW Bug at the DMV with nothing but a "bill of sale" written on a yellow legal pad. It took some fancy foot work while the DMV Technician scrached her head, but we got it done. As long as there is some ink on the paper and in the right place, they dont seem to ask many questions.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 AM

30 posts, read 93,638 times
Respectfully , that is NOT a DMV problem, it is a problem YOU have brought to the DMV....

Goldwingin

Old 04-27-2008, 09:15 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
first off, it is probably illegal for a dealer to sell out of his home in Arizona (That is a HUGE no no in Ohio), so i would call the Arizona DMV. They will probably force him to buy the bike back. Then (at least in Ohio), it is a 4th degree felony to curbstone (sell out of home without license more than 5 cars a year)...

however, i agree with the above poster, if all you have to do is put the miles in, do it..

Also, is this a new or used car dealer? In Ohio, a used car dealer cannot sell a vehicle with a mso. meaning a new vehicle...

hope this helped

Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 38,595 times
OMG DMV anywhere is a mess...its 2008 they should have some type of way to make that place less frustrating

Old 04-28-2008, 02:10 PM

226 posts, read 1,007,778 times
I would just write in the miles and sign his signature and get on with it!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Now I would never suggest that someone breaks the law, but in this case I might be inclined to find someone who you trust to "look" at that form and suddenly "notice" that the mileage was there!

I have no love for any DMV, here in Hawaii I had a situation where the car was purchased in Ohio, but the plates were from Alaska. I had just paid off the car so they sent me the original Ohio title. I tried to get the plates and title switched over to Hawaii and they wouldn't let me. Instead they seized the title, gave me Hawaii plates with a little piece of paper that was in lieu of a title (you couldn't read it, thank God I never was pulled over) and made me get a hold of Alaska DMV to prove they never issued a title (despite the fact is clearly stated the lien holder on my Alaska registration as being Chase Bank). So for 4 months I owned my car, but wasn't allowed to sell it, trade it in, or even ship it off the island.

Yea, I just love the DMV.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 PM

32 posts, read 621,062 times
DMV in Henderson is an absolute nightmare!

In my home state of New Hampshire just 2 years ago I had to go to the DMV to register my new car and was able to complete it at lunch time. Only took 5 minutes. The one in Henderson took me 1.5 hours! Only reason I had to go was to register my car. When I re-registered I did it over the web.

Moral of the story? If you have to do anything with the Nevada DMV, if at all possible, do it online!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas