Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 PM

72 posts, read 278,884 times

Advertisements

I am bringing my car with me on my move, but I plan to get rid of it and purchase a new car within about 2 months after I get to Vegas. I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of registering it and having the inspection if I'm not going to keep it.

Is this going to be a problem? How would anyone even be able to tell? I mean I'm not going to get pulled over just by having an Alabama license plate am I?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkbean View Post
I am bringing my car with me on my move, but I plan to get rid of it and purchase a new car within about 2 months after I get to Vegas. I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of registering it and having the inspection if I'm not going to keep it.

Is this going to be a problem? How would anyone even be able to tell? I mean I'm not going to get pulled over just by having an Alabama license plate am I?
No, just don't change your driver’s license over right away. As long as you license is the in the same state as your registration, your fine. But NVDMV states that if you work in the state of NV, you are a resident, and if you are a resident you will need to get the license and reg. But I don’t see how the cops would even know that. If they ask you where you’re going, just say to a friends.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:30 PM

255 posts, read 361,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
No, just don't change your driver’s license over right away.
When I first moved to Henderson from Dallas Texas, I waited six months to get my Nevada license. Before purchasing a home, I wanted to lease an apartment to give myself time to decide exactly which area of town I wanted to settle down in.

In about my fifth month, on my way to work, I made an illegal u-turn (the no u-turn sign was so small I couldn't read it). I got pulled over, but the police officer seeing my out of state license and registration let me off assuming I was un-familiar with the area and did not see the no u-turn sign. Had I had a Nevada license and registration, I probably would have gotten a ticket.

BTW, I still hadn’t sold my Texas home at that time; and I used it as my official address prior to actually purchasing a house here and getting my Nevada license and registration.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:35 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,443 times
I have been brushing up on Nevada law and you have 30 days by law to change it over so 2 months is no big deal. Just tell the cop you just moved here.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 PM

11 posts, read 49,805 times
Default DMV reg...

Yes, you really only have 30 days to change everything over, however no one will no if you go 2 months. I am and insurance agent here in town and here is information that I provide to my clients that are new to the area. Good luck to you.

For even more useful information you can go onto:

Las Vegas Relocation Guide - Issue 14

Vehicle Registration

For updated and complete information about driver's licenses and vehicle registration, please visit the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles web site.

New residents have 30 days to register their vehicles in Nevada. There is no grace period for vehicle plates.

Drivers applying for registration must provide the following documents:

Current registration certificate

Out-of-state license plates

Title - unless it is held by a lien holder

Nevada evidence of insurance card. You must have a liability insurance policy in the amount of $15,000 for the death of injury of one person; $30,000 for the death or injury of two or more persons; and $10,000 for property damage. You must carry proof of insurance in your vehicle

A Nevada smog emission certificate

An Emission Control Inspection Certificate obtained from an authorized service station (most gas stations and dealers are licensed)

Vehicle Inspection Certificate verifying the identification number of the vehicle

An odometer reading at the time of registration

A copy of the leasing agreement if the vehicle to be registered is being leased

Vehicle purchased in state from dealer:

Green copy of dealer’s report of sale

Nevada evidence of insurance card

If the vehicle is used, you need an emission control inspection

If transferring plates from another vehicle, you will need registration certificate or license plate number

Vehicle purchased from dealership out of state:

All applicable bills of sale, contracts, manufacturer’s certificates of origin, lease agreements required

Use/sales tax is 7% of full purchase price, 5% of trade, if appropriate, is credited

Reciprocity of taxes paid to another state credited upon verification

Vehicle purchased from private party:

Five percent sales tax is collected at time of registration based on manufacturer’s suggested retail price. If an authorized appraisal is presented, the 5% tax can be calculated from that figure.

The basic registration fee is determined by the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, the age of the vehicle and the weight of the vehicle. For passenger cars under 8,500 pounds, the fee is $27.00 plus $6.00 for the support of the Nevada Highway Patrol and a road tax.

Personalized Plates: $36.00 and $20.00 annual renewal fee in addition to all other applicable fees. Maximum of seven spaces.

Certificate of title fee: $20.00, vehicle registration outside Nevada.

For updated and complete information about driver's licenses and vehicle registration, please visit the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles web site.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
I have been brushing up on Nevada law and you have 30 days by law to change it over so 2 months is no big deal. Just tell the cop you just moved here.

I waited 6 months before registering my car in Nevada and getting a Nevada driver's license, with no problems.

I even got a speeding ticket during that time. The cop just said "register soon" and didn't make an issue of it.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 80,108 times
do you need a nevada driver's license before registering a car in Nevada?

i'm still driving with a California license and plates, but i'm getting a new car soon and i was planning on just registering it in Nevada and taking care of my license after if possible

i have a feeling i'm going to need the license first though

Old 08-09-2007, 03:56 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaire00 View Post
do you need a nevada driver's license before registering a car in Nevada?

i'm still driving with a California license and plates, but i'm getting a new car soon and i was planning on just registering it in Nevada and taking care of my license after if possible

i have a feeling i'm going to need the license first though

No you don't because of the Mountain States compact agreement. You can keep your California license untill it has expired. Plates are not included in the compact. All states west of Kansas are in the agreement.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:43 PM

30 posts, read 132,131 times
Actuallly you have 60 days to get your registration and your drivers license.

Quote:
If you are coming from another state, please register your vehicles at the same time you obtain your driver's license, within 60 days after you establish residency in Nevada or before the out-of-state registration expires
as stated on the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles wesite.

Nevada Vehicle Registration

You should have your registration, old plates, Emissions Vehicle Inspection Report, Nevada Vehicle Inspection Cert, and Title

Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 12,036 times
what steps are required to purchase a car private party from one person to another in Arizona and to register it in Nevada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas