Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 01:53 PM

661 posts, read 631,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
whats the deal when you have a home warranty and your hvac unit dies? they surely cant cover the cost of a replacement?
The most common issues for AC unit not working is the run/start capacitor in the outdoor unit failing or the fan blower capacitor failure in the indoor unit. Both are easy low cost fixes to replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 02:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
whats the deal when you have a home warranty and your hvac unit dies? they surely cant cover the cost of a replacement?
You need to be very careful about what is in your home warranty. We have one that will cover roughly 70% of a reasonable unit and the costs of cranes etc. It is a premium plan and costs over a grand a year. We have it only because our two units are about 35 years old and have to fail very soon. Note we have been saying that for the last 15 years. Note also the units have to be properly maintained - that is yearly service - or they claim not covered or limit the amount.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,714,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
The most common issues for AC unit not working is the run/start capacitor in the outdoor unit failing or the fan blower capacitor failure in the indoor unit. Both are easy low cost fixes to replace.
Your correct, just don't tell people its easy because there are a lot of people who cannot even use hand tools and they might kill themselves replacing a capacitor with a charge in it. You always have to discharge the capacitor before you attempt to uninstall it from its place. Also its good to use good quality units and the correct farad rating. I know this is also common on pool pump motors and there has been people getting hurt not discharging the capacitor.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:37 PM

638 posts, read 594,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You need to be very careful about what is in your home warranty. We have one that will cover roughly 70% of a reasonable unit and the costs of cranes etc. It is a premium plan and costs over a grand a year. We have it only because our two units are about 35 years old and have to fail very soon. Note we have been saying that for the last 15 years. Note also the units have to be properly maintained - that is yearly service - or they claim not covered or limit the amount.
I'll have to take a look. I'm with American Home Shield paying about $60 a month. 2 of mine are about 35 years old too! I was told that the refrigerant in one wouldnt in one of them would be impossible to get soon.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:33 PM

2,853 posts, read 4,524,100 times
NEVER Jonaire!

Old 05-23-2020, 05:31 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,809,236 times
Quote:
Had the fan motor die too, easy for me to replace personally, saved at least $400 doing it myself.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:59 AM

355 posts, read 213,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Not Goettl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWNLV View Post
Not Goettl
They seem so nice in their own commercials

Old 05-24-2020, 08:00 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,841 times
Yup. I keep a run/start cap, blower cap, and contactor on hand just in case.

Quote:

Old 05-25-2020, 06:28 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,591 times
I used Las Vegas Air Conditioning before they were bought up by Goettl. When I vetted companies Sierra was the runner-up and will probably get my business the next time the system needs service. So far, its been 6 years and the system hasn't needed any service.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:04 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,016,354 times
Quote:
My original upstairs unit went out (compressor died) and Old Republic replaced the guts of the system and now it's pretty much new. I only paid the trade fee. Cost without warranty would have been like $2400!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: