Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 06:58 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Most stores don't have dressing rooms open now, they are just being lenient in returns so you try it on at home. The empty shelves thing is a very real, yet hardly reported on story. Supply chains are broken and the attempts at tariffs and a trade war with China is causing issues, but the media is still fixated on the virus. Some media outlets probably would report the story with the angle of saying shame on you for going out shopping.

OK so I'm not crazy. We figured it would happen, but now I'm actually seeing it.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:59 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Most stores don't have dressing rooms open now, they are just being lenient in returns so you try it on at home. The empty shelves thing is a very real, yet hardly reported on story. Supply chains are broken and the attempts at tariffs and a trade war with China is causing issues, but the media is still fixated on the virus. Some media outlets probably would report the story with the angle of saying shame on you for going out shopping.
Yeah, because the main problem is my lack of a new summer dress.

I thought Trump solved the trade war with China? At least that is what he said.

Personally I DO have a problem with our medical supplies being tied to any other country beside ourselves. My ability to buy new boots is nothing next to my medical need for taltz. Or our countries need for testing supplies, masks, prescription meds, and PPE. But alas, none of that was addressed in our trade agreement with China.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Right? See I used to like shopping online, but its been so long I want & need to try stuff on first. Not only am I hearing you cant try things on you cant return either. I'm going to call Macy's Tomorrow to see if that's the case.

I accidentally forgot to remove contact solution from my Smiths order. Told the person when I picked it up Im going to go in to return it they said no you buy it its your no return of any kind due to Covid.
I go to essential stores (grocery, drug store), and I have been able to return things. Mainly Costco, various items. Returned something RV related at Walmart.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:09 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702;58513238[U
Supply chains are broken and the attempts at tariffs and a trade war with China is causing issues, but the media is still fixated on the virus. Some media outlets probably would report the story with the angle of saying shame on you for going out shopping.

This comment below is not by me, but it stuck with me. It ties in perfectly with what you wrote.

Quote:
A quick 'Heads up' guys -

I am involved with Logistics and Supply (specialized equipment and products) and I can confirm that there are now some very significant supply issues affecting many industries.

Much of real serious nature of this is still 'behind the scenes', but it wont stay hidden for not much longer.

The most significant supply line issues involve parts of products (and actual manufactured products) coming from China.

The significance of the coming shortages has been lost on 9 out of 10 people, but not the Politicians - that is why you will not hear a peep of this in the mainstream.

Basically, much of the tech and the 'simple' electronics and equipment we all rely on use Chinese made components or are fully made in China.

China is either restricting, or simply cant supply for whatever reason, many of those 'simple' but critical parts - especially if related to critical industries.

Stockpiles of 'cheap' and plentiful components I used to take for granted have vanished, and I am now being given lead times for supply of 6 to 8 weeks, which I have come to regard as being optimistic due to international demand of the same components / products.

Also, some parts and some finished products have seen quoted prices for supply increase by as much as 300% in just the last month (400%+ year to date).

This price inflation may of course be due to opportunistic price gouging / profiteering, but it may also be an early harbinger of wider and greater price inflation of imported products due to behind the scenes revaluations and power play.

Some products I simply cannot source, even when offering to pay significant 'premiums' or 'commissions'.

In one industry I am very close to, they have approx 3 to 6 weeks of market ready supply available - but then that is it, nothing.

Another I am close to has run out and is simply 'winging it'.

Even if the (optimistic) 6 to 8 weeks of lead time I am working to is achieved, we will see significant disruption to maintenance or replacement schedules of many items we take for granted or don't even consider until they stop working.

For those inside logistics and supply it is clear that China have called the Wests bluff on the so called 'trade war' and the west have been exposed as weak and vulnerable. Worse, the west are incapable of producing even simple components quickly, cheaply, and in mass scale. This means the west have little to no real negotiating power in the short term, in the same way I have no power to negotiate down the inflated prices I have to pay to obtain critical and urgently needed parts. Indeed I am actually grateful that prices quoted are 'only' 300% higher as I would have to buy even at 500% or 1000% higher.

If supply line disruption is not resolved in the 6-8 week time frame many are working to, I fear we will see disruption to services, to transport, and to industry the likes of which we have not experienced since WW2, and the price inflation on what is available to buy will be massive (certainly above the 300% we currently see).

I suggest that if any components, manufactured parts, or even finished products are important to the survival and continuation of your business (or even your family), that you buy what you can now.

The real severity of this has not yet hit the mainstream, but if / when it does, expect 'toilet role like panic buying' on everything of value.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:21 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, because the main problem is my lack of a new summer dress.

I thought Trump solved the trade war with China? At least that is what he said.

Personally I DO have a problem with our medical supplies being tied to any other country beside ourselves. My ability to buy new boots is nothing next to my medical need for taltz. Or our countries need for testing supplies, masks, prescription meds, and PPE. But alas, none of that was addressed in our trade agreement with China.
I completely agree, but that is not a problem that a trade agreement can address. We must solve it ourselves by increasing local production.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
This comment below is not by me, but it stuck with me. It ties in perfectly with what you wrote.
Wow. Is that recent? Of course trade agreements can address this. That is the whole purpose. Otherwise your whole article is WAY behind the curve.

This has been well known for at least a decade. But while the US is worried about the voting base of farmers, China is gathering the power of the medical field.

Welcome to the discussion. Almost all ingredients necessary to manufacture meds comes from China and India. The BASE ingredients, without we cannot manufacture meds. But you are worried about corn and TVs. It's been cute to watch.

We cannot get PPE for our first responders, meds for our citizens, masks for the population and glass vials to make vaccines.

But wait, who bought the most pigs?!!

Old 06-29-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Wow. Is that recent? Of course trade agreements can address this. That is the whole purpose. Otherwise your whole article is WAY behind the curve.

This has been well known for at least a decade. But while the US is worried about the voting base of farmers, China is gathering the power of the medical field.

Welcome to the discussion. Almost all ingredients necessary to manufacture meds comes from China and India. The BASE ingredients, without we cannot manufacture meds. But you are worried about corn and TVs. It's been cute to watch.

We cannot get PPE for our first responders, meds for our citizens, masks for the population and glass vials to make vaccines.

But wait, who bought the most pigs?!!

It was actually in the comment section of this article below. The comment was made on June 18th, so very recent.

Globalists Reveal That The “Great Economic Reset” Is Coming In 2021

Old 06-29-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
It was actually in the comment section of this article below. The comment was made on June 18th, so very recent.

Globalists Reveal That The “Great Economic Reset” Is Coming In 2021
I'm not going to read crazy without a lead. They are disproving what exactly? You are not even quoting an article, but he comments of an article. So what, comment 11,947 addresses the question?

I admit I AM retired, but damn girl, I have a lot more going on than figuring out your Tetris of logic.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to read crazy without a lead. They are disproving what exactly? You are not even quoting an article, but he comments of an article. So what, comment 11,947 addresses the question?

I admit I AM retired, but damn girl, I have a lot more going on than figuring out your Tetris of logic.

I clearly said it was a comment in my original post and that stuck with me. It is not meant to disprove anything. It is someone in the logistics industry letting us know there are problems in the supply chain, nothing more.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:54 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Katie, take a deep breath, hold it, exhale. A lot of your quotes are from craptactular websites spouting the goofiest of conspiracy theories, or maybe it's chain emails that have you all in a tizzy.

If you think that the entire world's medical community is conspiring against hydroxychloroquine while a half million people die and do it for the sake of corporate profits then you've been severely bamboozled by bad actors.

You remind me of my little sister back in 1965 when a goofy pop music song called "Eve of Destruction" was all the rage. My sister was beside herself with fear until our uncle, a Baptist minister, talked her down off the ledge. Things get goofy, things get bad, but we manage our way through it.

The same sister was still gullible into the mid 1990s as she breathlessly resent all those emails about "there's a new virus out and not even microsoft can stop it." I finally cured her of all that nonsense. Those old emails were the mid 1990s equivalent of today's bogus websites spewing out stupid conspiracy crap.

It's going to be a bumpy ride, politicians will blow smoke up our skirts, bad actors will play with our minds ... take a deep breath, hold it, exhale.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas