Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2020, 08:59 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times

Advertisements

I have a breathing problem when wearing a mask, it is also kind of hot. Instead I use a kerchief, tied like the old west bandits wear (at least on tv!). It might be marginally less effective than the blue surgical masks, but I can wear it and breathe normally. It's not an inconvenience, and if it helps at all, what the heck, why not?

As an aside, I'm having a melanoma removed from my neck on Tuesday and the kerchief will cover up the incision quite effectively.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:23 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Depending and what side of the argument you're on, you can find "studies" that go both ways saying masks are effective and that they're not.

I don't much care for them myself, but my thinking is that if they're not effective, then we haven't lost anything except for the inconvenience of wearing one. If they are effective, though, then just maybe we've saved ourselves and others a whole bunch of misery.

If it's mandated to wear a mask indoors, and we want the economy to stay open, then just wear one. It's not that big of a deal and not worth an argument over how it infringes your rights. I can see that side of it, but it's not hill I want to die on. No pun intended.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:12 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,212 times
Here is a link to a Peer-Reviewed scientific study done by Florida Atlantic University's Physics department. The study analyzes the physics of fluids in regards to different types of face masks. I will link three references below. The Live Science article. The link to the journal article, as well as the video that demonstrates the findings.

The analysis summed up is that although masks won't completely prevent the spread of the virus, certain types help significantly by working as a physical barrier to limit the projectile motion of fluid expelled from the respiratory systems of humans.

Physics of Fluids Journal Article: https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0016018
Live Science Article: https://www.livescience.com/face-mas...-covid-19.html
Video demonstrating projectiles vs. masks: https://youtu.be/RkB0k81oNiI

Old 07-04-2020, 06:21 PM

1,086 posts, read 746,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Depending and what side of the argument you're on, you can find "studies" that go both ways saying masks are effective and that they're not.

I don't much care for them myself, but my thinking is that if they're not effective, then we haven't lost anything except for the inconvenience of wearing one. If they are effective, though, then just maybe we've saved ourselves and others a whole bunch of misery.

If it's mandated to wear a mask indoors, and we want the economy to stay open, then just wear one. It's not that big of a deal and not worth an argument over how it infringes your rights. I can see that side of it, but it's not hill I want to die on. No pun intended.
Well said.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:18 PM

386 posts, read 262,070 times
The problem is people talk masks as if they're a singular safeguard. Do cars have just seat belts? No, they have air bags, senors, and other safeguards to help protect you against injury if/when you need them.

Masks are just one tool in the COVID toolkit. Combine wearing a mask in public, social distancing, and washing your hands and the odds of you getting infected are greatly reduced. Not eliminated, but greatly reduced by a significant, compounded rate.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:46 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
We really need to get some more in depth vitamin D research or bring to light the studies that show it's worth in preventing severe respiratory diseases as well as preventing death after contracting coronavirus.

Yes it could just be correlation and not causation, but if your levels are low, start supplementing asap, or get some sun daily. It's free and it's also sanitizing. Obviously don't get sunburned!

As for the mask wearing 'issue', if it does work (and I know that it does), ask yourself, if you could've prevented being intubated by perhaps wearing a mask, would you have worn one? I'd take any percentage increase in protection, this isn't "just the flu", it can mess you up really badly, permanently, even if you survive.

I see an awful lot of people falsely claiming they can't breathe with it (granted some are real), how do you think you're going to do when they have to stick a tube down your throat and into your lungs?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/how-coronavirus-kills

https://globalnews.ca/news/7111094/c...alth-problems/

Old 07-04-2020, 10:23 PM

74 posts, read 59,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't agree with fining the businesses, it should be the individuals. I don't expect some minimum wage kid to enforce the mandate. To many people are getting violent.
Chain stores can hire security guard to enforce the rule and that should solve 60-70% of the problem. bigger business like Michael, Walmart, Home Depot can afford to hire a security guard. Our local grocery stores all has someone sanitize the grocery carts after arch use and regulate the number of shoppers in the store at any given time. The issue is more about business trying to play both side of the coin by doing lib service on the mask to get customers in the door. They should be fine and fine heavily. Mom and pop stores are in the tough shape to enforce the order, so the enforcement should be light for them..

Old 07-04-2020, 10:29 PM

386 posts, read 262,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
We really need to get some more in depth vitamin D research or bring to light the studies that show it's worth in preventing severe respiratory diseases as well as preventing death after contracting coronavirus.

Yes it could just be correlation and not causation, but if your levels are low, start supplementing asap, or get some sun daily. It's free and it's also sanitizing. Obviously don't get sunburned!

As for the mask wearing 'issue', if it does work (and I know that it does), ask yourself, if you could've prevented being intubated by perhaps wearing a mask, would you have worn one? I'd take any percentage increase in protection, this isn't "just the flu", it can mess you up really badly, permanently, even if you survive.

I see an awful lot of people falsely claiming they can't breathe with it (granted some are real), how do you think you're going to do when they have to stick a tube down your throat and into your lungs?

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/how-coronavirus-kills

https://globalnews.ca/news/7111094/c...alth-problems/
Check out Dr. Rhonda Patrick. I am a huge fan of hers and have been for several years now.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:57 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
First off, what weekend is it? Second, you do not see all the people who are staying home because of the mandate. Most people are not comfortable with wearing a mask. They are doing it because of the mandate. I hate it so much that I wear a face shield instead. Even know there are no penalties for not wearing a mask, you will have problems entering businesses, even if you have a legitimate exception. Most people are not confrontational, so they wear one just to avoid that.

Katie, what do you think of the bucket hat/face shield combo? Some of them look pretty good. The shield part is removable. I do not wear hats as a rule, especially when it's hot, but that one looks easier. They come in nice colors too. Not sure if they are anti-fog though. But it sure looks better than the contraption I got for my face shield. My problem with my face shield is, I get it on, and then I pull my hair down underneath it, because it floofs up all weird with the shield, then when I get it good again, the elastic band wants to start sliding off my head. It also collects dust and lint like a magnet. That is what I get for buying a cheap one. I think the face shields like I got would work for someone with very short hair just fine.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:52 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Katie, what do you think of the bucket hat/face shield combo? Some of them look pretty good. The shield part is removable. I do not wear hats as a rule, especially when it's hot, but that one looks easier. They come in nice colors too. Not sure if they are anti-fog though. But it sure looks better than the contraption I got for my face shield. My problem with my face shield is, I get it on, and then I pull my hair down underneath it, because it floofs up all weird with the shield, then when I get it good again, the elastic band wants to start sliding off my head. It also collects dust and lint like a magnet. That is what I get for buying a cheap one. I think the face shields like I got would work for someone with very short hair just fine.

I had to google that as I have not heard of those. I do not have any experience with them personally, but I don't see why they wouldn't work. What I can tell you is my welder's face shield has arrived and it works perfectly, much better than the cheap flimsy face shields I had that got destroyed by the wind last week. There is no plastic smell and it was $40 with tax. You want a shield with hard plastic that is durable and will last, so a welder's face shield is probably the best way to go. The one I got is great, but it appears everyone has the same idea so now they are sold out. So are almost all of the others too. However, here is a 2 pack of welder's face shields that would work for you and your husband. They are in in stock and are $50 for the pair. Take a look and see if you like them.

https://www.amazon.com/Venseri-Grind...941314&sr=8-26
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas