Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 05:17 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Thing's to consider before I start a family and add 3 mouths to feed:

1) Do I make more then $12/hr?

2)....
actually, even before the "things to consider before I start a family and add 3 mouths to feed:"

what can I do to make more than $12 an hour?

if they aren't thinking this, there is no ambition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 08:57 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
Years (OK, maybe decades) ago, jobs at McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc. were mainly filled by high school kids looking to make a few bucks for spending money. Now those jobs are apparently careers unto themselves in many cases.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Thing's to consider before I start a family and add 3 mouths to feed:

1) Do I make more then $12/hr?

2)....
What kind of lifestyle do you think $12/hr affords a single person?

That is $1900/month.

Rent: $850 A studio apartment in a sketchy hood eats up almost half of that right off the bat, about $850.

Health Insurance: $350 Private health insurance with a $5,000 deductible is $350/month.

Car + insurance: $200 This'll get you an old beater and enough insurance to avoid going to prison if you crash into someone. (And count on a few hundred flying out of the wallet a couple times a year for repairs on that jalopy).

Gasoline: $50 Car isn't worth much without gas. That old beater gets about 18mpg unfortunately.

Utilities: $100 Let's pretend we take cold showers and don't use the computer or tv much.

Phone/Internet: $100 A couple of cheap plans. Not great internet speed for online schooling, but if you make $12/hr. who are you kidding? You serve a role in society. Know your limits.

Food: $300 Lets get extravagant and say $10/day. All that sweet Avocado toast.

That leaves a whopping $50 for emergencies, entertainment, and investment in the stock market which is where all the successful Americans are making their money.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

That is $1900/month.

Rent: $850 A studio apartment in a sketchy hood eats up almost half of that right off the bat, about $850.

Health Insurance: $350 Private health insurance with a $5,000 deductible is $350/month.

Car + insurance: $200 This'll get you an old beater and enough insurance to avoid going to prison if you crash into someone. (And count on a few hundred flying out of the wallet a couple times a year for repairs on that jalopy).

Gasoline: $50 Car isn't worth much without gas. That old beater gets about 18mpg unfortunately.

Utilities: $100 Let's pretend we take cold showers and don't use the computer or tv much.

Phone/Internet: $100 A couple of cheap plans. Not great internet speed for online schooling, but if you make $12/hr. who are you kidding? You serve a role in society. Know your limits.

That leaves a whopping $50 for emergencies, entertainment, and investment in the stock market which is where all the successful Americans are making their money.
That's the life you lead when you don't have any skills or experience. Its called motivation to better yourself.

Then get a better job in 6 months to a year so you're not making $12/hour. My daughter started at minimum wage fast food, 9 months later she got a better paying job at a gym, 6 months later a better job at a day care center and put herself through training so now she works in healthcare making decent money for her age.

We've done it like this for 200+ years but for some reason everyone thinks that now entry level jobs should be careers.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 AM

1,086 posts, read 746,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

That is $1900/month.

No offense but who says a person gets their own studio apartment? How about renting a room somewhere? For $450 you can get a nice room INCLUDING utilities and if you are lucky including internet and cable TV. Might not be a great neighborhood but not everybody gets to live in the area. That's life!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
No offense but who says a person gets their own studio apartment? How about renting a room somewhere? For $450 you can get a nice room INCLUDING utilities and if you are lucky including internet and cable TV. Might not be a great neighborhood but not everybody gets to live in the area. That's life!
And if that 12hr job is full time, you may be able to get health insurance. Walmart $27 per paycheck.

Friend of mine rents a studio at flamingo/Tropicana for 600, no cable just internet since you can stream. So now I’ve saved another 700.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:46 AM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Im just snooping around, I was ever so glad to see there weren't many comments condemning the $600 because lower wage employees were making more than what they used to. Its ridiculous, the $600 weekly checks cut my income in half after I was laid off due to the pandemic, although I was still greatful to get them over nothing. I've been job hunting since April and nothing has come out of it. I'm very worried admittedly but it is what it is.

Quote:
That may be the case in Nevada but you would be hard pressed to find a studio even double that price where I live. you would be looking at about $1k - $1.2k for a studio. That doesn't include utilities either, utilities avg about $300 a month extra for trash, electricity, gas. Thats not including internet which on average is an extra $50 - $90 depending on what carrier is local to you.

$12 Hr isnt really a living wage without assistance in most major cities.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:38 AM

1,086 posts, read 746,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Im just snooping around, I was ever so glad to see there weren't many comments condemning the $600 because lower wage employees were making more than what they used to. Its ridiculous, the $600 weekly checks cut my income in half after I was laid off due to the pandemic, although I was still greatful to get them over nothing. I've been job hunting since April and nothing has come out of it. I'm very worried admittedly but it is what it is.

That may be the case in Nevada but you would be hard pressed to find a studio even double that price where I live. you would be looking at about $1k - $1.2k for a studio. That doesn't include utilities either, utilities avg about $300 a month extra for trash, electricity, gas. Thats not including internet which on average is an extra $50 - $90 depending on what carrier is local to you.

$12 Hr isnt really a living wage without assistance in most major cities.
I am sorry and wish you luck. However, I was suggesting renting a room in someones home. As for you maybe you need to find a way to move somewhere cheaper!? I truly wish you luck with all this. I have been very fortunate thus far in life and avoided the problems you speak of but I do realize I am fortunate.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:12 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
I am sorry and wish you luck. However, I was suggesting renting a room in someones home. As for you maybe you need to find a way to move somewhere cheaper!? I truly wish you luck with all this. I have been very fortunate thus far in life and avoided the problems you speak of but I do realize I am fortunate.
Its on the options list and Ive been looking for work in other cities too but alot of jobs have been put on hold because their uncertain financially about the future and how they are going to move forward with their operations then there are others which just wouldn't be viable enough to get up and relocate (salary too low or a 3 month contract position which you wont really recoupe the moving expenses from and you're back in the same boat) Thing that makes it more difficult for me is I wont qualify for a FHA loan quite some time now and I'd have to sell my house and figure out what Im going to do about my pets. After that I'd have to get re-situated in another major city but will most likely be met with the same job situation if something goes wrong there and they decide to get flaky. I could go back into an apartment (I really don't want to, I busted my nads off studying and grabbing as many certifications as I could in order to get out of apartment living) but I'd probably try to get out quickly.

Thing that is just really irritating me about this is everyone is assuming that everyone getting the $600 is just taking advantage of getting twice their normal income and I dont doubt those exists in jobs like retail or fast food or customer service but more professional unemployed people are taking a serious hit by this and they are going to tank when those benefits disappear. Not all of us out there are lazy gits trying to use the system some of us are hardworking and severely inconvenienced by this.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Its on the options list and Ive been looking for work in other cities too but alot of jobs have been put on hold because their uncertain financially about the future and how they are going to move forward with their operations then there are others which just wouldn't be viable enough to get up and relocate (salary too low or a 3 month contract position which you wont really recoupe the moving expenses from and you're back in the same boat) Thing that makes it more difficult for me is I wont qualify for a FHA loan quite some time now and I'd have to sell my house and figure out what Im going to do about my pets. After that I'd have to get re-situated in another major city but will most likely be met with the same job situation if something goes wrong there and they decide to get flaky. I could go back into an apartment (I really don't want to, I busted my nads off studying and grabbing as many certifications as I could in order to get out of apartment living) but I'd probably try to get out quickly.

Thing that is just really irritating me about this is everyone is assuming that everyone getting the $600 is just taking advantage of getting twice their normal income and I dont doubt those exists in jobs like retail or fast food or customer service but more professional unemployed people are taking a serious hit by this and they are going to tank when those benefits disappear. Not all of us out there are lazy gits trying to use the system some of us are hardworking and severely inconvenienced by this.
Problem is that some of the people getting the 600, aren’t using it for housing and necessities. They didn’t pay their rent or mortgage. They blew the money on stuff they didn’t need. The other issue (Florida) is that the system itself is so bad, they haven’t seen the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: