Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,249 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Just found this forum and I'm trying to gather some information on Vegas neighborhoods. We are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, preferably over 1200 sq ft. in the price range of 125,000 - 150,000. We would like to be between 10-15 minutes from the Strip but I'm not sure if that's realistic. I've searched places like Yahoo for properties but I have no idea of what neighborhoods are relatively nice for that price range. Any help regarding whether what areas, north, south, etc, are best to look in would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
WarriorsFan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
I think the only thing you can get right now for that price would be a condo or a mobile home. The condo would probably not be a 3bd 2 ba at that price, more like a 2/2. And the area may be less than desirable.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:42 AM

207 posts, read 907,186 times
I've been using REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale along with Las Vegas' interactive map searching for pretty much the same thing. Yahoo's real estate search is ok, but I like Realtor more. There are places out here that meet your specs, you may have to give a little but don't believe the trailer/condo only hype.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Here is one that may work for you. Look into others in this area (89129). You can also look into 89108, although these homes will be a bit older. Of course you could look at 89032, but certain parts of that zip code have a bit of a reputation. That zip code is actually not that bad though as long as you stay north of Cheyenne and west of Decatur.

Greater Las Vegas Association of REALTORS® (http://www.lasvegasrealtor.com/propsearchPublic/results.asp?Code=&ML=788009&ptype=RES - broken link)

Just out of curiosity, have you been pre-qualified yet? How did you come up with $150K? Based on my calculations that would equal a payment, including taxes and interest, of around $1001 with an FHA loan at 6%. Does that sound about right?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:29 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
You might find something at that price downtown, either in Las Vegas or old Henderson. Most of the decent stuff starts at around 179k though. This is an example of a cute cottage in an "up and coming" downtown area. It's def. not for everyone though.

For your price range, you are probably going to need to do some renovations. Be patient though, if prices keep falling, you just might be able to get something nice for that price in a year or two!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 AM

572 posts, read 1,683,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
You might find something at that price downtown, either in Las Vegas or old Henderson. Most of the decent stuff starts at around 179k though. This is an example of a cute cottage in an "up and coming" downtown area. It's def. not for everyone though.

For your price range, you are probably going to need to do some renovations. Be patient though, if prices keep falling, you just might be able to get something nice for that price in a year or two!

I have to admit, that's actually a really nice house!

"up and coming" downtown area? *scratches head* hmmm.. It looks like a nice neighborhood, but i'm curious as to what happens when the sun goes down.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 AM

818 posts, read 3,697,293 times
I live near that area and personally I love living downtown. Of course, you don't have the tight restrictions that you get with an HOA, but in terms of drug activity and crime, I don't think that it's very bad at all, especially relative to the reputation.

Obviously, "up and coming" can be deciphered as code for a bad neighborhood, but for people who don't like cookie cutter homes and are willing to put up with the downside of living downtown, such as homeless, higher crime, poorer performing schools, helicopter and ambulance noise, there are really nice houses at good prices. And for me, having little or no commute is a huge benefit. I love being home from work at 5:15, which allows me extra time with my family. If I were commuting back to Henderson or Summerlin, that extra 30 minutes in traffic would come directly out of family time.

Our neighborhood just had a cleanup and block party last weekend, and I think that we can rival many HOAs in terms of having a tight-knit, friendly and organized neighborhood. But, like I said, it certainly isn't for everyone.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM

66 posts, read 326,967 times
There are some starter homes in the SW in that ranging, but they are few and far between... and you might be more like 20 minutes to the strip. Since you have pleasantly specific priorities I would get a realtor to tailor the MLS listings he gets to your parameters, and then review the results.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post
I've been using REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale along with Las Vegas' interactive map searching for pretty much the same thing. Yahoo's real estate search is ok, but I like Realtor more. There are places out here that meet your specs, you may have to give a little but don't believe the trailer/condo only hype.
Actually, after I posted my post about homes that cheap, I did some searching on realtor.com and found some in good area's, a couple for about $150,000 or less. I keep forgetting that home prices are dropping like a bomb here.
I did see one townhome in my neighborhood going for $149,000. A couple of years ago that would have been going for close to $300,000.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Actually, after I posted my post about homes that cheap, I did some searching on realtor.com and found some in good area's, a couple for about $150,000 or less. I keep forgetting that home prices are dropping like a bomb here.
I did see one townhome in my neighborhood going for $149,000. A couple of years ago that would have been going for close to $300,000.
Yeah Pinkie..I immediately found two in Aliante. There are lots of them. About 40 in the NW quadrant. The problem is it is almost a live hunt. There are like 35 in the fresh pending status. That says that price range is selling in a week or less. Likely all the good ones are going as soon as the bank list period expires (many of the banks require that the place be listed for n days before an offer can be accepted. n is generally no more than 7. )

Probably need a RE Agent to chase them. Get in a strong offer on the first two or three days then hold on. They are deliberately listing some of them too cheap and getting a bidding war started. Still may come out a good deal...just not as good as it looks up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas