Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Anyone try TC's Rib Crib? The RJ calls it the best in the Valley.
Oooooh. I forgot about TC's Crib. It really is the best. Their sweet tea is pretty fantastic too. And I think they have sweet potato pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreed83 View Post
Agreed about Memphis BBQ, the food sucks. Agree about the Sweet Apple Tea.

I like Dave's Famous BBQ because it's fast and good.

You say Buzz BBQ is on 95 and Ann? I like my food affordable so Lucille's seems a little to classy for this cheap skate
The thing about Memphis BBQ is they have very good sides, especially their collard greens, red beans and rice, and sweet potatoes. The meat is good, not great. The sweet tea is very good and you can buy it by the gallon. It's hard to find a place that has both good meat and sides. TC's is one that does, plus great sweet tea that's even better than Memphis'. I still say there is no BBQ outside the state of Texas, and there is no BBQ anywhere like the BBQ in Laredo, Texas.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:22 PM

99 posts, read 416,703 times
What, no Tony Romas in Vegas? Hmm, oh well, I'm sure I could find an Arbys, right? No? Oh, well, I'll check out one of the places mentioned here. Thanks! There was a place in Kansas City called Gated BBQ, and I continue to miss there food, but, thankfully, there are other options.

I love this forum!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
tony romas is down on freemont street.. steak and lobster for about 10 bucks but you get what you pay for..

Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 AM

There are several Tony Roma's. They frequently get picked as the best BBQ in the RJ poll which proves one of my biggest complaints...people that move here from places like California have no taste in good food. Tony Roma's food is bland. Unfortunately, most food in Las Vegas is bland which seems to please most of the Californians. There are just no unique tastes here. No local specialty. Most restaurants here are chains that try to please everyone by being ordinary. The only ones that are a little different are Asian, and a few Italian. Even the Mexican restaurants tone it down because not many people that come here have developed a taste for spicy food. Even our local Garduño's food is not as hot as it is in Albuquerque. We need to come up with something that is ours alone in Las Vegas. The closest we have to our own may be the desserts at Jerry's Nugget. But I am starting to see more locally owned restaurants like TC's Rib Crib, so maybe there is hope.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 AM

99 posts, read 416,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
There are several Tony Roma's. They frequently get picked as the best BBQ in the RJ poll which proves one of my biggest complaints...people that move here from places like California have no taste in good food. Tony Roma's food is bland. Unfortunately, most food in Las Vegas is bland which seems to please most of the Californians.
Buzz, you got me. I was actually teasing a little with my "Tony Romas" comment, but I will admit that I don't have a real discriminating palate, but that's not to say I don't enjoy eating. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you slide on your generalization about Californian's, for I know a few Cali folks who are quite discerning in their appreciation of and for good food, which I believe we do have here, such as seafood, Mexican, Chinese, and Thai.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
I hear that Tony Romas is NOT on Lefty Rosenthals list of the 10 best in Vegas

Old 05-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I hear that Tony Romas is NOT on Lefty Rosenthals list of the 10 best in Vegas
I was a block or two away when Lefty's car got blown up. By the time I reached the scene he was staggering around in a daze. I guess he took a load of glass fragments to the face because it looked like he had been shot in the face with a shotgun. I was told by our news-photog on the scene that he was not in the car like it shows in the movie. He knew they were after him and he had actually taken to reaching in through the window and starting his car as he stood to the side. I guess Tony Roma's in Las Vegas will forever be famous for that one historic event.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
yep, he reached thru the window.....

Now...he never WAS exactly the "best looking guy around" so the glass may have improved things..... [I was the wedding photpgrapher at Lefty's wedding.....verrrrry interesting group of guests]

Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason View Post
Buzz, you got me. I was actually teasing a little with my "Tony Roma's" comment, but I will admit that I don't have a real discriminating palate, but that's not to say I don't enjoy eating. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you slide on your generalization about Californians, for I know a few Cali folks who are quite discerning in their appreciation of and for good food, which I believe we do have here, such as seafood, Mexican, Chinese, and Thai.
I'm just saying that most of the people here are from California, so most of the people I know in Las Vegas are from California. From talking to them, and from eating my way through a lot of not very tasty California food, both at Californian owned restaurants here and over there, my conclusion is that they prefer food that I would consider bland, and ordinary, and a lot of grease.

Italian and Mexican are my favorites. I grew up in a city with a large Italian population, and I lived in another city that is 93% Hispanic. Spicy food is not something most Americans are used to, and it takes eating a lot of it to develop a taste and tolerance for it. I never had Mexican food until I came to Las Vegas, then I realized I had never had "good" Mexican food until I lived in Texas and New Mexico. Most places I've visited or lived in have regional specialties that you can't get anywhere else. Sometimes, as in the case of Cincinnati Chili (yucky), that is a good thing. But most regional food is very good. We ain't got no regional food, and neither does California...except maybe for some seafood dishes in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas