Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 09:06 AM

202 posts, read 186,980 times

Advertisements

Will be coming from another state to check out 55+ communities specifically in the Summerlin and maybe Henderson areas. I'd very much appreciate any thoughts ACTUAL RESIDENTS of these communities is willing to share. Opinions are fine as long as you are objective. Some general questions like:

* What community are you in?
* What works for you; what doesn't
* Any surprises (good or bad) after moving there?
* How easy has it been to make friends?
* If you had it to do again, would you choose the same place or someplace different (in same area), and why?

Really hope to hear some real-world, experience-based, focused answers from the community that will help me in developing my questions once I arrive and see it first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 11:38 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
Will be coming from another state to check out 55+ communities specifically in the Summerlin and maybe Henderson areas. I'd very much appreciate any thoughts ACTUAL RESIDENTS of these communities is willing to share. Opinions are fine as long as you are objective. Some general questions like:

* If you had it to do again, would you choose the same place or someplace different (in same area), and why?

Really hope to hear some real-world, experience-based, focused answers from the community that will help me in developing my questions once I arrive and see it first hand.
My wife and I sell real estate about 2/3 in the mature communities. Our office is in the middle of Sun City Summerlin.

There are two big communities with very large sets of amenities...Sun City Summerlin and Sun City Anthem. Both of these have over 7,000 homes. Sun City Anthem is the newer and the "main club house" there is spectacular. Sun City Summerlin has a more distributed set of facilities with many specialty facilities like the computer lab and wood working shop.

On the west side there is also Siena which is gated, very nice and mildly more expensive than the large developments. And Sun City Aliante to the north. That tract of 2000 homes is actually better built than most with very low utility bills.

There are also a couple of smaller but more expensive developments like Trilogy and Regency.

In Henderson there is also Sun City McDonald's Ranch which tends to be less expensive, Solera at Anthem and a couple of smaller ones. Note that the smaller ones are often expensive.

And there are a few more scattered around the city.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:15 PM

lvmensch

Is every development thats is named "Sun City __" a Del Webb spot?
Which of your list are newest?
Which might appeal to one who isn't a big golfer?

Old 02-28-2021, 03:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
lvmensch

Is every development thats is named "Sun City __" a Del Webb spot?
Which of your list are newest?
Which might appeal to one who isn't a big golfer?
All the local "Sun Cities" are Del Webb.

The most golf oriented is probably Sun City Summerlin which owns its three courses. They tried at one point to shut one down but found out it would cost more than operating it. The problem is the fairways have double duties...they are golf fairways but also part of the developments flood control system.

Sun City Anthem and Sun City Aliante both have municipal courses embedded. Siena has a privately owned public course and pays part of the maintenance of the course to keep it profitable.

There are two new Sun Cities under development. Sun City Lake Las Vegas and Sun City North Ranch. Both are relatively small and do not have golf courses embedded.

I would not sweat the golf courses a lot. The homes adjoining the course generally have at least a small cost premium but the majority of the homes do not adjoin a course. The big premiums in Sun City Summerlin go to those places with good Strip views. It can get somewhat strange. Local folklore says the majority of Sun City Summerlin golfers play golf elsewhere. And two of those courses are as good as any that exist in the US.

Trilogy and Regency are without courses and nice. But not very big and expensive. Ardiente is also nice, gated and golf free.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:06 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
My aunt lives in Sun City Anthem and yeah, wow, that main clubhouse is incredible!! Before the whole pandemic, when I was moving down here in summer / fall 2019, I got to attend some event there with her and I was in awe of that clubhouse. It felt like it had 30 foot ceilings at least, I don't even know, but the view was spectacular, the amenities, just all around awesome.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:52 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
I like Anthem better than Summerlin. As JonathanLB says, the amenities and clubhouse are incredible. Walking track on the second story, all windows, amazing views! I didn't like the homes in my price range, they needed lots of interior updating and upgrades. I bought a one year old house in Seven Hills area that was much more modern and well appointed. I'm sure I'd love Anthem, maybe I should have done it. They have nice pool tables and great facilities for working out, gorgeous indoor and outdoor pools. Check out all the options, it doesn't take that long, Vegas isn't that big.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,401 times
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing in Sun City Summerlin. We visited all the active adult communities in the valley and as soon as we arrived in Summerlin we knew we were home. We love the beauty of Red Rock Canyon and the Spring Mountains Right at out doorstep combined with spectacular Strip views. The beauty of the landscaping and how maintained everything is. We love the beauty the golf courses add to the community. We were fortunate enough to find a beautiful home with unobstructed Stop views in back and commanding Spring Mountain views out front. The fitness centers, pools and clubhouses are also beautiful and in the process of being upgraded even further. Another selling point to Sun City Summerlin is Downtown Summerlin and Tivoli Village. We love going to Red Rock Resort and shopping and dining in Downtown Summerlin. There is also City National Arena and the beautiful Las Vegas Ballpark. We can’t wait until we move into our new home and can call ourselves Las Vegans.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:04 AM

228 posts, read 196,669 times
We bought in the Ardiente community, in far N Las Vegas. There are 788 homes and it is guarded and gated. While it was not our first choice, my spouse is an RN at the VA, so it was the best choice for us, as the VA is literally one mile away. We have quick access to the 15 and 215, 15 minutes to the Smith Center, Downtown, and 20 minutes to the Strip.

The cons are the area is very new, so not a lot of shopping or good restaurants presently, but Vegas is very easy to navigate.

The pros are it is a small community, guarded and gated, 9 small parks, very well maintained, 2 pools, sauna, jacuzzi, clubhouse with pool tables, library, gym, clubs for every interest, or start your own. Two tennis courts, basketball court, three Bocci ball courts, putting green, & horseshoes.

We have been here 3 years and love it. In normal times, if we are going out at night we use an Uber, door to door, no parking fees, or worrying about drinking.

We are not socialites, but the people are friendly for the most part. The Clubhouse host various parties throughout the year and we attended a few, but it was really not our cup of tea. There is a full kitchen and you can reserve it if you want to host your own.

Would we do it again? In a heartbeat! I really do love it here. I would definitely find a good realtor and one who specializes in 55+. We went through 3 realtors before finding a good one.

I forgot to add you may look if the property has a SID/Lid fee. We do not have this here in our community, but I had noticed that properties in Sun City Aliante did, this is attached to the property, separate from your HOA. Some sellers will agree to pay off the balance of the SID/LID

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-01-2021 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 03-01-2021, 05:31 PM

Great info so far, but if possible, please refer back to my OP and the questions, as they will help determine what we consider. I want to hear both good and not so good as much as possible.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:30 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,048 times
Quote:

You now have a real live Sun City Summerlin inhabitant. I looked at most of them before I chose this. Yes, I would chose this again. Anthem is not as pretty (sorry), only has one outdoor pool, is located near airports and is maintained by a professional leasing/renting organization instead of local HOA. I think Henderson property taxes may also be higher. Our monthly HOA runs around $147 a month. I much prefer the location versus other senior communities. We even have our own fire station in the community. You can drive your golf cart thru a private area to get to shopping, restaurants, pharmacies without getting on a surface street. Here at Summerlin we have 3 outdoor pools and the same amenities. You can have beautiful city/strip views, the Spring Mtns. surrounding us and fairly tight HOA rules. My only surprise moving here was the coyote population which is an issue if you have little dogs. We also do not have an official dog park nor does there seem to be any willingness for administration to move towards that. It's easy to make friends if you are a social person and get yourself out where others gather. Unfortunately I live in a neighborhood where no one ever came to meet me and since it has been 11 years, I've given up on that and gone out and met others. We have our own voluntary home owner security patrol around the clock. In addition, we have our own monthly magazine (the Link, check it out online) to keep us abreast of what is going on and frequent email updates. I'm not a golfer, would not want to live abutting a coarse and whether you golf or not, makes no difference. We have two or three of our own restaurants in here which are just average but that comes from a foodie. Also about 50 chartered clubs to join, if you want. DM me if there are any more questions. I'm glad to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: