Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 93,922 times

Advertisements

hOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN AN APARTMENT BEFORE THEY CHANGE THE CARPET? LIKE CALIFORNIA THEY HAVE TO CHANGE THE CARPET IN FIVE YEARS, WITHOUT CHARGE. wHAT ABOUT LAS VEGAS? CAN ANYONE TELL ME AND GIVE ME THE RIGHT ANSWER?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,721,506 times

I doubt there is such a law. You would probably have to prove that the carpet made the residence inhabitable before any legal action would take place.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:03 PM

549 posts, read 1,379,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREK45 View Post
hOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN AN APARTMENT BEFORE THEY CHANGE THE CARPET? LIKE CALIFORNIA THEY HAVE TO CHANGE THE CARPET IN FIVE YEARS, WITHOUT CHARGE. wHAT ABOUT LAS VEGAS? CAN ANYONE TELL ME AND GIVE ME THE RIGHT ANSWER?
To my knowledge, there is no law requiring a LL to change the carpets. Heck, they don't even have to paint apparently.

I lived in a rental for over 4 years and the carpet was over 5 years old when I asked the LL to consider replacing it with either tile or wood laminent. His response: If he did there would be an increase in rent. I moved shortly thereafter to another home with new carpeting.

The home I am in now has minimal carpeting on the lower level, which is good. It is a heck of a lot easier and faster to clean tile floors than carpeting! Of course, I have area rugs and they are easier to clean too!

Next to diapers, carpeting is the most discarded landfill item. Carpeting uses a lot more water to clean; something that LV sorely needs to conserve. Moving away from carpeting should be required of LL's, IMHO. There would certainly be less room for disagreements on cleaning fees and security deposits!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM

414 posts, read 972,233 times
There is no "carpet" law in Nevada. Usually if a carpet gets changed it is done between renters. A good quality carpet should last 7-10 years if it is taken care of with regular vacuuming and cleaning. Most landlords I know will make you sign a release if you want to keep a dog. They may also require you to pay an additional security deposit for the pet. As a landlord myself, I will not replace a carpet for a renter who has a dog if the carpet becomes overly soiled as a result of the dog. They can either replace the carpet themselves with my permission or they can continue putting up with the carpet messed up by their own dog.

If you think you have a problem you might check and see if the landlord will let you replace it yourself.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
There is no "carpet" law in Nevada. Usually if a carpet gets changed it is done between renters. A good quality carpet should last 7-10 years if it is taken care of with regular vacuuming and cleaning. Most landlords I know will make you sign a release if you want to keep a dog. They may also require you to pay an additional security deposit for the pet. As a landlord myself, I will not replace a carpet for a renter who has a dog if the carpet becomes overly soiled as a result of the dog. They can either replace the carpet themselves with my permission or they can continue putting up with the carpet messed up by their own dog.

If you think you have a problem you might check and see if the landlord will let you replace it yourself.
This.

Myself being a small-time landlord with rental property, I do the same. While I am pet-friendly, I have tenants sign a liability waiver with a cleaning fee for their dog/cat. Most people don't realize the wear & tear a pet can create, especially in a carpeted environment. One of my tenants would shut the bedroom door when her boyfriend was over; thanks to that, I had a big hole in my carpet & a door with a few hundred claw/scratch marks from when her dog was lonely/bored. Fast forward to her moving out, the cleaning fee & security deposit came nowhere close to paying for replacement ... so I ate the cost & put in hardwood laminate flooring. Easier maintenance & looks a lot better. Here in Las Vegas, I have tile throughout the main floor & would strongly recommend it to anyone who can afford it. No static either.

To the OP: Is there a specific reason you feel the carpet needs to be replaced? Generally, I try to have a give-and-take relationship with tenants. If a tenant were to try to get good carpet replaced on a technicality, we'd switch to living by the letter of the law where I'd flag them on every technicality. Put another way: as long as your landlord's reasonable, why not try to have a working relationship with them? Do you want an adversarial relationship with your landlord? If your landlord's an unresponsive management company, I understand, but otherwise work on a positive relationship. Build a little goodwill & you'd be surprised how much it helps in 'gray areas'.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,488,891 times
...only if they're bald.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,150 times
Carpet needs to be changed if it doesn't match the drapes. I guess you must be very friendly with your landlord if you know whether or not they match?

Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM

549 posts, read 1,379,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
This.

Myself being a small-time landlord with rental property, I do the same. While I am pet-friendly, I have tenants sign a liability waiver with a cleaning fee for their dog/cat. Most people don't realize the wear & tear a pet can create, especially in a carpeted environment. One of my tenants would shut the bedroom door when her boyfriend was over; thanks to that, I had a big hole in my carpet & a door with a few hundred claw/scratch marks from when her dog was lonely/bored. Fast forward to her moving out, the cleaning fee & security deposit came nowhere close to paying for replacement ... so I ate the cost & put in hardwood laminate flooring. Easier maintenance & looks a lot better. Here in Las Vegas, I have tile throughout the main floor & would strongly recommend it to anyone who can afford it. No static either.

To the OP: Is there a specific reason you feel the carpet needs to be replaced? Generally, I try to have a give-and-take relationship with tenants. If a tenant were to try to get good carpet replaced on a technicality, we'd switch to living by the letter of the law where I'd flag them on every technicality. Put another way: as long as your landlord's reasonable, why not try to have a working relationship with them? Do you want an adversarial relationship with your landlord? If your landlord's an unresponsive management company, I understand, but otherwise work on a positive relationship. Build a little goodwill & you'd be surprised how much it helps in 'gray areas'.
That is what really ticked me off about the LL I asked to consider replacing the carpet... I took care of everything! They made money in 4 years and the carpet was the original carpet. I also wasn't asking that the entire house be redone, just the first floor because the wear was quite a bit. I have a home carpet cleaner and clean carpets often to keep them nice. It was a lot of work and, again, the carpet was old. Sigh. Oh, well, when I get my own home at least I know what I do and don't want!

Old 10-31-2014, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 18,577 times
I was told there IS a law in Nevada that requires that the carpet MUST be changed after a tenant moves out who has owned a pet. [consumer complaint not allowed] I will post the law and the section once I locate it.

Last edited by observer53; 10-31-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 05:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Depends on the previous tenants. My wife usually changes them every 3-5 years but if previous owners were pet owners, carpets are always changed after they move out. Hence the pet fee and deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas