Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 05:25 AM

17,671 posts, read 22,444,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I suggested a 2nd job. I can fly out there, but I cant just drop 10k like that. I did send him some money. He got hotel rooms and bought some essentials. Problem is he winds up right back out there. Vicious cycle with this. Thank you for your reply and post.

This site is coming through again for me. Thank you all again.
Sending money = buying a few days.

30 hours a week isn't cutting it, he needs 2 jobs. Also stress to him that if he "looks" homeless then the museum might cut him so getting this in order asap is going to be crucial.

I'd guess living with mom and dad has kept his work ethic low so you are trying to teach an old dog new tricks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2024, 05:39 AM

4,991 posts, read 2,759,743 times
probably a red tape runaround but Family Services Centers in his town might help...maybe not..

and churches...any church..talk to the pastor/preacher or whoever after the service..go to any service that will let you in their doors..see if they practice what they preach..desperate situations call for desperate measures..

Old 05-20-2024, 07:02 AM

12,335 posts, read 17,216,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Sending money = buying a few days.

30 hours a week isn't cutting it, he needs 2 jobs. Also stress to him that if he "looks" homeless then the museum might cut him so getting this in order asap is going to be crucial.

I'd guess living with mom and dad has kept his work ethic low so you are trying to teach an old dog new tricks.
The latter hurt him the most. He did little except for stay home. He had no worries until his mid forties. Hes got a place for a week-and like you said bought him a little time. Im going to talk to him tonight. I know I have to firm to explain all this. Thank you.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
probably a red tape runaround but Family Services Centers in his town might help...maybe not..

and churches...any church..talk to the pastor/preacher or whoever after the service..go to any service that will let you in their doors..see if they practice what they preach..desperate situations call for desperate measures..
Im talking to him tonight thank you. This will be part of that convo. I told him previously that the streets WILL eat him. No shelter esp in LV means punishing temps, high risk of being a violent crime victim also.

If you are rock bottom, you must not dig further. I agree.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:20 AM

5,630 posts, read 6,584,971 times
Any long time members remember the poster who told us about her older relative who lived in Vegas? Reno? who had a nice apartment and had a small income and services that provided him with a comfortable life? That would be the post/topic to find and get the information on how this was accomplished. I'm sorry I don't remember the poster. I think it may have been in the Retirement forum, years ago.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunk View Post
Any chance he might find a room mate or 2? Splitting rent & other costs could go a long way. I did it when I was younger.

Or maybe he could rent a room in a house like they do it in college.

I know it wouldn't be ideal but it would be better than sleeping on the streets.
He was doing this with the Airbnbs. Lack of work got him sleeping in his car. Once that broke down, there no other options.

I called him thia afternoon, got VM only. I will update here once I speak with him.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:27 PM

30,529 posts, read 23,956,209 times
Is he a veteran?

Being homeless is actually very expensive.

They don't have a fridge, stove, microwave...they have no way to store food or make food. That cuts out a LOT of food at the grocery store. They can only buy "eat it right now" food which these days costs a lot of money. He could easily plow through $20-30 a day just eating. He can't even do food pantries because, again, no place to store it. Bases on how costly food is, and according to what you said he makes, he would go through almost 2 paychecks a month just on food.

Being homeless is also exhausting. You don't get to go home and relax, you're always "on". You have to look for a place to sleep, and often, there is no bed. You also have to be on alert all the time for your safety, or police who will tell you to move from where you thought you might sleep. Not only that, he's limited on where he can work because he has no car. He can take a bus, but he has to be able to get from job 1 to job 2 on time. And he's already run down by not having a place to go, he's older, and now he's going to be even more exhausted with 2 jobs. And if he gets sick? Then what?

As for cleanliness, you can discreetly use restrooms, but without a car, it's harder to get to a rest stop or trucker's gas/store/restaurant plazas, which make it much easier to blend in. Some will allow people to wash their clothes there. Some let non truckers use the showers (at a cost). He can find a laundromat, but showering is harder.

He would also need at least a P.O. box or UPS store mailbox for when he fills out applications. He also needs to keep his phone connected.

ALL of that ^^^ takes a chunk out of his 3rd check of the month.

Now he's down to his final check. Saving up enough to get a place is going to take several months. Not only first, last, and deposit, but also electricity. Plus, he will have to buy things like plates, silverware (even if paper or plastic to start), blankets and/or sheets to create a bed, pillow, food to put in fridge, pots/pans to cook the food, towel, etc.

It's not as easy as 'just save up all of your money that you earn since you don't have rent, and you can be housed in a month. There's way more that we take for granted that the homeless person has to think about and spend money on. It typically puts someone into a viscous cycle that they can't get out of.

Being homeless is not easy - not to live, and not to get out of.

If you can't help with money, then can you help him find a place? Can you send some of your dishes that you don't use, or a pot or pan you don't use, or a towel, or a blanket, or help him get that P.O. Box? Or even a gift card to a restaurant or grocery store? Anything? You wouldn't believe what kind of help just $50 or even $100 can mean to a homeless person, and make it a little easier to save faster.

Old 05-21-2024, 03:34 AM

23,401 posts, read 29,286,763 times
If only our Gov' officials would come to realize how expensive homelessness to taxpayers. On a national average, this was a few years before inflation, it costs taxpayer's $50,000 a year to have one homeless person on our streets, the majority of those costs are tied to Emergency room visits, hospitalizations, rehab and prescription drugs. If the person in this thread were to fall down, break an arm or leg, an ambulance would carry him to an Emergency room and who knows how much the hospitalization and rehab would cost, thank you to the taxpayers!

I was briefly homeless way back in the early 70's in Denver and it was a piece of cake, back then, to join the ranks of the employed. Desperate, I grabbed the lowliest job, the poorest paying job, working as an Orderly at a nursing home (Nursing assistant is now the word). Back then, as opposed to today, I didn't even need to take a month long CNA course, a CNA license, no background check, no drug test, no TB test, no CPR card. I worked with another Orderly for a week, and after that, I had my own area to work. Today, even if someone went through a CNA course, most of these facilities today will require 6 months to a year's experience.

Referring to the senior couple renting out a room for $800, with their Social security income?? I took in someone out of work, homeless, some time ago, and I don't charge him anything. He's an awesome Handyman and anything that goes south in my house gets fixed ASAP. He is able to get some carpentry and painting jobs, but I accept no money from him.

Old 05-21-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Is he a veteran?

Being homeless is actually very expensive.

They don't have a fridge, stove, microwave...they have no way to store food or make food. That cuts out a LOT of food at the grocery store. They can only buy "eat it right now" food which these days costs a lot of money. He could easily plow through $20-30 a day just eating. He can't even do food pantries because, again, no place to store it. Bases on how costly food is, and according to what you said he makes, he would go through almost 2 paychecks a month just on food.

Being homeless is also exhausting. You don't get to go home and relax, you're always "on". You have to look for a place to sleep, and often, there is no bed. You also have to be on alert all the time for your safety, or police who will tell you to move from where you thought you might sleep. Not only that, he's limited on where he can work because he has no car. He can take a bus, but he has to be able to get from job 1 to job 2 on time. And he's already run down by not having a place to go, he's older, and now he's going to be even more exhausted with 2 jobs. And if he gets sick? Then what?

As for cleanliness, you can discreetly use restrooms, but without a car, it's harder to get to a rest stop or trucker's gas/store/restaurant plazas, which make it much easier to blend in. Some will allow people to wash their clothes there. Some let non truckers use the showers (at a cost). He can find a laundromat, but showering is harder.

He would also need at least a P.O. box or UPS store mailbox for when he fills out applications. He also needs to keep his phone connected.

ALL of that ^^^ takes a chunk out of his 3rd check of the month.

Now he's down to his final check. Saving up enough to get a place is going to take several months. Not only first, last, and deposit, but also electricity. Plus, he will have to buy things like plates, silverware (even if paper or plastic to start), blankets and/or sheets to create a bed, pillow, food to put in fridge, pots/pans to cook the food, towel, etc.

It's not as easy as 'just save up all of your money that you earn since you don't have rent, and you can be housed in a month. There's way more that we take for granted that the homeless person has to think about and spend money on. It typically puts someone into a viscous cycle that they can't get out of.

Being homeless is not easy - not to live, and not to get out of.

If you can't help with money, then can you help him find a place? Can you send some of your dishes that you don't use, or a pot or pan you don't use, or a towel, or a blanket, or help him get that P.O. Box? Or even a gift card to a restaurant or grocery store? Anything? You wouldn't believe what kind of help just $50 or even $100 can mean to a homeless person, and make it a little easier to save faster.
He is not veteran. My wife brought up too the P.O. box. We can do that. I did give him some more money to pay his phone bill and a little extra. Def great suggestions. I do have plenty of extra to send as far as home stuff.

Hes in a hotel for a week as of last night. I confirmed he checked in. I called in the afternoon and got VM. I chose not to call yesterday, as im sure he checked in and crashed.

He got sick once, and I pointed that out to him also.

He was also raised with parents who had the "positive thinking gets you out of anything" despite that not being true. Hes carrying that mindset around still. Thats concerning me. Also him being a target for others. If I were down and out and looking to rob someone, he would be the # 1 choice. I hate saying it but its true, having grown up in Brooklyn and having to navigate rough areas for years.

Im going to call again tonight, and update.

I remember you from my early days here. Nice to see you still here. Thank you for your post.

Old 05-21-2024, 01:45 PM

22,473 posts, read 29,665,940 times
He needs a second job. I'd ask him how is hygiene (haircut, shaving) is looking for job interviews. I'd get a PO box so at least he has an address. Here in Denver, there are places (churches, etc) that will allow you to have an "address" for these reasons. He's bilingual-that can go far. What are his skills?? Keep us posted so we can throw ideas out there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas