Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 12:13 AM

16 posts, read 78,138 times

Advertisements

But here it goes. My husband, 14-year-old daughter and I currently live in Laughlin (it was a big mistake, but we are tryng to undo it). My husband worked for the state here and with the funding cuts, his position went away. There are no other hospital administration jobs available in this area, so we are scrambling to get moved to the Las Vegas area because it seems like it will provide more opportunities for work.

I am going crazy trying to figure out what the best area will be for us to move to. I am thinking that we will need to rent an apartment for about six months before we move into a house since our income is limited right now. Our daughter will be going into the 9th grade and I want for us to move into the best school area. She will need a great music (especially percussion) and art department.

I have read that Henderson is very nice and that CHS is a very good school. I had originally thought that Summerlin would be a great place to live, but I have not heard great things about Palo Verde and it seems that it is way overcrowded.

We need to move quickly so I appreciate any advice offered! Does anyone know of a couple of nice upscale apartments in the CHS district? Are there neighborhoods with pool homes in that district as well?

Thanks!
Cristy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Wow. Your situation is similar to mine in that me, my hub, and my 14 yo daughter are moving there too. We have rented an apt in Henderson for 6 mos to see how it goes. She will be going to CHS. My only problem with that is that to buy in that school zone, it is expensive which could create a problem in the future for us and I don't relish the thought of moving her to a different school again.

When we viewed the apt, it looked like a nice complex, close to Coronado, but some have said that it is not so great. We had already put a deposit down so we will stick it out and go from there.

If you do a search on this forum for apts in Henderson, you will find some great info.

Good luck!

Last edited by kimba01; 06-09-2008 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
granted, i haven't been here long, but i have heard to avoid Mohave highschool in the north.. The northwest has good schools and that is where you will find the best bang for the buck on a house.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I think Cheyenne high school in NLV is one to be wary of too.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
Yeah...Mohave and Cheyenne are schools to avoid...as well as most of the schools in the central valley. Cimarron would be one to avoid as well.

The best schools by far are Coronado, Centennial, Palo Verde, and Green Valley. Spring Valley would be a good choice too. Maybe Arbor View.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM

40 posts, read 219,833 times
I too am looking to move to LV (from Honolulu) and am looking hard at high schools for my 14 year old son. So far I'm liking Palo Verde the most for their very low incidents of violence against other students, possession of weapons, drugs, and alcohol.

See this link for their accountability report for the 2006/2007 school year.

http://nevadareportcard.com/profile/...07/02425.E.pdf

Sorry, I don't know how to make the URL click-able

Old 06-09-2008, 11:49 PM

77 posts, read 340,906 times
I think folks are on the money here with their recommendations. You will have the best luck school-wise if you stick to the southeast or west/northwest. In addition to those already listed, I have also heard good things about Foothill off of College Drive in Henderson. The farther southeast or northwest you go, the more likely you will get not only a pretty good school but also an area where you will find an affordable home when you are ready to buy. That means your child will likely end up at Foothill, Centennial or Arbor View. As you mentioned, it would be great to keep your daughter in the same school as you rent and then buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas