Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,416,124 times

Advertisements

current temp at the station: 113.1

weather channel at airport: 107
weather channel at 89119: 109

the trend stays the same as before.

here is something interesting....i wonder where the thermometer at the airport is? what is it surrounded by? the weather station here is basically surrounded by a parking lot (it sits directly above light colored rock, although two sides are bordered by asphalt lot and one by concrete sidewalk). the higher temp reported by it may be a result of the ambient and radiant heating of its surroundings....and thus may be more accurate to what we experience than a meter siting in a field...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:51 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
current temp at the station: 113.1

weather channel at airport: 107
weather channel at 89119: 109

the trend stays the same as before.

here is something interesting....i wonder where the thermometer at the airport is? what is it surrounded by? the weather station here is basically surrounded by a parking lot (it sits directly above light colored rock, although two sides are bordered by asphalt lot and one by concrete sidewalk). the higher temp reported by it may be a result of the ambient and radiant heating of its surroundings....and thus may be more accurate to what we experience than a meter siting in a field...
allegedly, it is supposed to be 6' off the ground in the shade [they make their own shade by putting it inside a little louvered white tower like thingie [for want of a better word] and it is supposed to be [I believe] at least 30 ft from any surrounding structures. but I may be wrong on the distance.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
See...

Stevenson screen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The height is dependent on usage. For people related measurements they go for the instruments at people height.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:48 PM

255 posts, read 361,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It is hot. Very very hot. Hotter then the local news tells you.
I was listening to the local news over the weekend. They admitted that their temperature readings are always taking in the shade and that the actual outside temperature is a few degrees higher than they report.

Personally, I love the heat...as long as I'm not in the direct sun. I do not find it uncomfortable at 100-105 degrees in the shade if the humidity is low as it usually is.

If you have to park your car in direct sunlight, it takes forever for it to cool down even if the air conditioner is running at full blast. But if you can park in the shade, your car will cool down quite quickly.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:01 PM

Jump in the car.....open the windows and turn the AC on full.....let it force the hot air out.....then roll up the windows and let it cool the ambient air instead of the superheated 140 deg air

Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Who sets their temps at 74?? Probably just the supermarkets. I always freeze in there in the summer. I set my thermostat at 83 and leave it at that all summer. And use fans in every room to help circulate the air. I would freeze to death with it at 74, since downstairs would be winter time.
Like you pink I too set mine for 83 but I am in peoples homes all the time and believe me, the vast majority do set it for 73-75. After being inside their home it is a shock to the system going outside.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
We all seem to agree that the temps vary widely. The example olecapt said about taking the temp 6' up which is about an average adults height might be a good point since that is where you feel it. Your face feels the heat first.

In amost all cities, the official temp is at the airport usually because that is the hottest part of the city. Just ask any tarmac airport worker if this is true.

Here we have I think it was 8 weather stations other then the official one at the airport. Usually these are on top of schools, most all of them being elementary schools. The weather map on TV shows just how much the temps vary in close-by geographic areas.

I will also agreee 90s ain't so bad as long as you are out of the direct blazing sun.

I can ask Keven Jannison from Channel 3 who lives quite close to me. I see him at the school where he supports DARE. When I run into him I will ask about the official temp thing and his take on it.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 32,334 times
Thanks for all of the responses, everyone! Unfortunately, it sounds as if I'll be one of those people who will find it difficult to adjust to the searing weather. Heck, I don't even own a single pair of shorts!

And I find such camaraderie in the fact that you all unanimously agree that the Las Vegas shade is such a retreat! Love it.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:21 PM

all this talk about the heat is gonna make me want to get the AC in my truck fixed...

but then....it's been broken for 3 years...summers almost over....and next summer will be cooler....

Old 07-08-2008, 05:49 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konayipark View Post
Thanks for all of the responses, everyone! Unfortunately, it sounds as if I'll be one of those people who will find it difficult to adjust to the searing weather. Heck, I don't even own a single pair of shorts!

And I find such camaraderie in the fact that you all unanimously agree that the Las Vegas shade is such a retreat! Love it.
Workers who work in the high heat and direct sun wear lots of clothes. Long sleeved cotton shirts, long pants and a hat with a wide brim or a sun shade. Only crazy white guys go in the sun with a lot of skin exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas