Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,927 times

Advertisements

current temp at the station: 112.7

weather channel at airport: 108
weather channel at 89119: 108

latest reading, basically the same results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Workers who work in the high heat and direct sun wear lots of clothes. Long sleeved cotton shirts, long pants and a hat with a wide brim or a sun shade. Only crazy white guys go in the sun with a lot of skin exposed.
This is true. Well I dont know about lots of cloths. Those who work outdoors do indeed wear long pants and long shirts. Most often gloves too. Many wear wide rimmed hats. The Mexican guys take this a tad further. They take a large piece of cardboard and cut out a round hole to put over the hat on their head. This offers a wide area of shade and they work all day in the heat.

Many framers and roofers wear their hair long in the back to protect their neck too.

We dont want to get skin cancer do we now. It ain't a very pleasant thing to get.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Who sets their temps at 74?? Probably just the supermarkets. I always freeze in there in the summer. I set my thermostat at 83 and leave it at that all summer. And use fans in every room to help circulate the air. I would freeze to death with it at 74, since downstairs would be winter time.
Now that's encouraging! My AC here in MI right now at 9:25 pm is set at 75. Most people here would think I was nuts for having it that high. But then, the humidity is ridiculous. It is 77 degrees and when you are outside(which, btw, it is still light out) it is pretty nice. But be warned, if you walk the dog-wear your bug repellent! I know that if I turn off my air, this house will heat up like a sauna from the humidity and you won't be able to sleep. I will not sleep with my windows open either. Not that it would help, it will only serve to make everything feel like the morning dew is on it.

My AC has been on for about 3 days straight. Set at 74 or 75. Keeps the house cool. It is about 1700 sq ft. No upstairs. So, here in MI we stay inside for about 5 mos during winter. Don't bother waiting til the sun goes down because it is even worse then and you won't see many people outside at all then either. Then we have spring-sometimes-then the humidity, so that is another couple mos in the house-then autumn which is generally nice. Low humidity, windows open, leaves changing, smells great-but is so overshadowed by the upcoming winter months that I tend to not enjoy it as much as I should. And during all that you throw in the rain and cloudy days and well...not so great-IMO.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM

I see you have a heat warning for tomorrow:

EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT /8 PM
MST/ THIS EVENING...
...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM PDT /11 AM
MST/ TO 8 PM PDT /8 PM MST/ WEDNESDAY...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT /8 PM
MST/ THIS EVENING. AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT
FROM 11 AM PDT /11 AM MST/ TO 8 PM PDT /8 PM MST/ WEDNESDAY.

A STRONG AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL SETTLE OVER THE AREA THROUGH
WEDNESDAY...BRINGING DANGEROUSLY HIGH TEMPERATURES TO THE REGION.
HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO BE AROUND 112 DEGREES IN THE LAS
VEGAS VALLEY...FROM 114 TO 117 DEGREES IN THE LAKE MEAD NATIONAL
RECREATION AREA...LAUGHLIN...NEEDLES...MESQUITE... LAKE HAVASU
CITY...AND BULLHEAD CITY...AND NEAR 123 DEGREES IN DEATH VALLEY.

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE
FORECAST TO REACH DANGEROUS LEVELS THAT WILL STRESS THE BODY IF
PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

From the Weather Channel site. Stay cool everyone!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,927 times
i'm w/ the others here in LV that set their ac in the 80s....trust me, the 80s feel awesome when it is 20+ degrees hotter out.

but for the year i had A/C when i lived in MKE, it was always set at 72F...only way to beat the humidity other than live down by the lake (which took care of the bugs as well). think i would have been significantly more damaged if i hadn't moved to MKE's east side when i did (as they say....everything is cooler by the lake)

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
i have 2 thermometers in my backyard, one is under my porch or 2nd floor balcony... currently reading 121 degrees, i also have one in the sun next to the pool, currently over 145 degrees.. it is easier to take this heat than in cleveland at 87 degrees with lots of humidity

Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
current temps in my backyard as of 7:16pm
Attached Thumbnails
Honesty appreciated: What's the weather really like?-photo-2.jpg   Honesty appreciated: What's the weather really like?-photo.jpg  

Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I see you have a heat warning for tomorrow:

EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT /8 PM
MST/ THIS EVENING...
...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM PDT /11 AM
MST/ TO 8 PM PDT /8 PM MST/ WEDNESDAY...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT /8 PM
MST/ THIS EVENING. AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT
FROM 11 AM PDT /11 AM MST/ TO 8 PM PDT /8 PM MST/ WEDNESDAY.

A STRONG AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL SETTLE OVER THE AREA THROUGH
WEDNESDAY...BRINGING DANGEROUSLY HIGH TEMPERATURES TO THE REGION.
HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO BE AROUND 112 DEGREES IN THE LAS
VEGAS VALLEY...FROM 114 TO 117 DEGREES IN THE LAKE MEAD NATIONAL
RECREATION AREA...LAUGHLIN...NEEDLES...MESQUITE... LAKE HAVASU
CITY...AND BULLHEAD CITY...AND NEAR 123 DEGREES IN DEATH VALLEY.

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN TEMPERATURES ARE
FORECAST TO REACH DANGEROUS LEVELS THAT WILL STRESS THE BODY IF
PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

From the Weather Channel site. Stay cool everyone!
Came out of Vintners Grill about 8:15PM after a very nice meal. As we left we noted that a party of four and two couples were sitting having their drinks in the outside lounge. Temp around 102...but people voluntarily sit outside to have a drink and enjoy the evening.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 AM

17 posts, read 67,524 times
I have been able to keep the thermostat at 80 since we moved in (three weeks) with no difficulty. It's been very comfortable. I do remember growing up in Iowa though my parents kept the thermostat set at about 72-74 in the summer and I thought it was unbearably hot in the house, and was always sneaking and cranking it down to 65 and blaming it on my brothers. Nobody has thermostats or central ac in Santa Barbara so I have no comparison for there. But it definitely seems like the dryness here is favorable for air conditioning use... or lack of anyway.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Came out of Vintners Grill about 8:15PM after a very nice meal. As we left we noted that a party of four and two couples were sitting having their drinks in the outside lounge. Temp around 102...but people voluntarily sit outside to have a drink and enjoy the evening.

Sounds nice. I can't wait. I really do not feel like even going outside in this humidity. You sweat walking to your car. The kids were skateboarding at 11 pm last night and came back drenched because it was so stinkin' humid.

Woke up this morning with the air on 75 and it was stifling in here. Had to turn it down a notch. My electric bill is going to be sick. The worse part about it is that we are now paying two since my husband is there. He says he is not minding the heat at all--yet. He is working nights and I am sure that helps a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas