Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,688,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusman199 View Post
Can't argue with that. For me though personally, I couldn't yawn bigger when it comes to museums and art.

Also, I'm not 21 yet but you can still rock out in Vegas...ladies, shows, food...

LVkewlkid - I take it your a young adult? do you like theater and stuff over the strip club? not to jerk ya or anything it's cool if you do.

ok, we're starting to stray off topic. Lexusman, let's pose all your questions over on your blog. It could be a very lively place. As it is now, you are going to pull threads off topic and we don't want that.
its not that Lexusman, i just think that a university should just be surrounded by things that stimulate the mind (ok, i walked into that one JFK, lol), but Las Vegas is big on strip clubs, for a college to continue to have students interested academically and do things in their free time other than just going to the random strip club, they need to have something to keep their students and fuel their mind...whether it be the art gallery, independent bookstore, theater, or boutique...Maryland Parkway is well on its way with the shopping and ethnic restaurants it has, too bad First Friday is in downtown, which has in a way revitalized downtown, but i really think the area around the university should be able to have something like First Friday, although they are building up with some music venues around the university...another reason is that UNLV is mainly commuter so students aren't really looking for things to do around campus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
. . . fuel their mind...whether it be the art gallery, independent bookstore, theater, or boutique. . .
Bravo!

I suppose Vegas offers a unique way to party in college... but what about when you graduate? You will be competing with grads who had such enlightening resources near their campus. They will have more encompassing minds and a better world view. All that Vegas partying will not go far on your resume.

I am sad to see that the museums on the strip are all gone, except for Bellagio. The Guggenheim had some great exhibits

Old 02-15-2009, 02:30 AM

30 posts, read 95,858 times
I live in the area and with the new police station there (live right by it) it's been pretty safe so far.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,458 times
Need some info. my daughter is temporarily relocating to vegas and is looking at a condo at the French Oaks complex it is on S. Maryland Pkwy and Katie. Can you tell me about that area please. We don't know anyone out there.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyterry616 View Post
Need some info. my daughter is temporarily relocating to vegas and is looking at a condo at the French Oaks complex it is on S. Maryland Pkwy and Katie. Can you tell me about that area please. We don't know anyone out there.
Quarter mile circle of Katie and Maryland Pkwy over the last 60 days.

ASSAULT/BATTERY 4
AUTO BURGLARY/INVOLVES VICE 1
BURGLARY 9
FAMILY DISTURBANCE 1
FIGHT 2
NARCOTICS 4
OTHER DISTURBANCE 29
ROBBERY 2
STOLEN MOTOR VEHICLE 2
Grand Total 54

Not good not terrible. Stay off Maryland and Twain and you miss almost all of it.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
I stayed in some apartments for a couple months next to Hard Rock Cafe.

It's misleading as driving by in a car, it all looks fine. But it isn't.

I was in a secured apartment building complex...with the guard and such. But just put my dirty $2 bought-in-Mexico sandals on my balcony for an hour...and they were gone. What the hell, for dirty $2 shoes?

As I didn't have a car, I walked places. Again, during the day it was fine. But hated it at night. There was a gas station nearby, and people would always be panhandling everyone who stopped for gas. Then every bus stop seemed to have a seemingly homeless guy getting drunk chatting up people waiting for the bus, trying to get a $1 or two.

Also, walking to the Strip was always worse. I was staying with my girlfriend/now wife at the time...so I use to walk up to meet her after her shift. But as she was walking my direction from work, sometimes she'd have to fend off random people in cars trying to pick her up - assuming any girl who is walking on the sidewalk is actually 'working'...it just kind of goes on and on with that.

Unfortunate for UNLV as there is so much potential for huge developments and a much more college-like atmosphere, but just so much riff-raff in that entire area of Vegas...especially moreso between UNLV and the Strip...on the other side of UNLV away from the Strip, it seemed a bit better.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I stayed in some apartments for a couple months next to Hard Rock Cafe.

It's misleading as driving by in a car, it all looks fine. But it isn't.

I was in a secured apartment building complex...with the guard and such. But just put my dirty $2 bought-in-Mexico sandals on my balcony for an hour...and they were gone. What the hell, for dirty $2 shoes?

As I didn't have a car, I walked places. Again, during the day it was fine. But hated it at night. There was a gas station nearby, and people would always be panhandling everyone who stopped for gas. Then every bus stop seemed to have a seemingly homeless guy getting drunk chatting up people waiting for the bus, trying to get a $1 or two.

Also, walking to the Strip was always worse. I was staying with my girlfriend/now wife at the time...so I use to walk up to meet her after her shift. But as she was walking my direction from work, sometimes she'd have to fend off random people in cars trying to pick her up - assuming any girl who is walking on the sidewalk is actually 'working'...it just kind of goes on and on with that.

Unfortunate for UNLV as there is so much potential for huge developments and a much more college-like atmosphere, but just so much riff-raff in that entire area of Vegas...especially moreso between UNLV and the Strip...on the other side of UNLV away from the Strip, it seemed a bit better.
I use to live over there in 1988 and it was still a sh#t hole then. My cheap stinky payless sneakers was gone one night. One gallon glass jars to make sun tea would be gone before noon. Nothing was safe or sacred. Tweakers galore begging for nickels to get enough money to buy a quart of Magnum at the AM/PM. Gay horny men coming out of Gypsies thinking any clean looking male in the area was looking for action. I sure don’t miss that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas