Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,153 times

Advertisements

I hear you have to pay an extra tax on your car if you want to move the registration over from other states. A car valued around 20000 will cost about $350 or more. Is this true? Are there additional expenses? I will be moving two cars out there (my own and wife).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
It's not an "extra tax for cars from out of state"- it's just the way they charge for registration in NV. You'll pay around $65 for the actual "registration fee" and then another amount on top of that for a "special privilege tax" based on the value of the car. As you said, for a vehicle worth $20k, you'll probably be in the $350 range, but it will decrease every year as the car decreases in value. You'd pay the same amount if you bought the cars in NV though, so there's no way around it.

Bob

Old 03-03-2007, 10:00 AM

278 posts, read 1,083,786 times
How do they come up with the value of your car? And how are the lines at the DMV? I know when I lived in Phoenix, they were always busy. Here in Ohio, there are never more than 2 people ahead of you. How much are driver's licenses? And how often do you have to renew them?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:05 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
How do they come up with the value of your car? And how are the lines at the DMV? I know when I lived in Phoenix, they were always busy. Here in Ohio, there are never more than 2 people ahead of you. How much are driver's licenses? And how often do you have to renew them?
You can find out the approximate cost at...

https://dmvapp.state.nv.us/estimate.asp (broken link)

Most tasks at DMV can be done on the internet. So regular registration and such is quite painless.

However plan on an hour or so for your first visit. That is to register and get a drivers license.

Most questions are answered on their web site. Google DMVNV.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:33 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,829 times
Default Registrations

I was really shocked at the vehicle registration costs here in Nv. My homestate of Wi., charges $55 per year for an automobile, regardless of it's valuation. Course the state makes it up with it's outreagous property taxes and tax on gasoline. My car insurance took about a 55% jump here also.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:07 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Registering cards in NV is outrageous!!! When I first moved there I was floored when they told me it was like four times the amount I used to pay in my old state.

Back several months ago I moved to Florida after living in Vegas for almost 10 years. Last June I bought I new vehecle while still in Vegas... costed me $550 to get it registered and will only go down a litte to renew each year.

Know what it was in Florida? They charge a $100 fee for each car registered here for the first time. So total to register for the first time was $195 and will be only $45 to renew each year! Can you believe that??? I was floored when she told me how cheap it was. I told her what I just paid in Vegas and she said "why???" Exactly!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:04 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
the rule is that its usually it is about the same as the car payment

Old 05-19-2007, 07:22 PM

51 posts, read 201,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Registering cards in NV is outrageous!!! When I first moved there I was floored when they told me it was like four times the amount I used to pay in my old state.

Back several months ago I moved to Florida after living in Vegas for almost 10 years. Last June I bought I new vehecle while still in Vegas... costed me $550 to get it registered and will only go down a litte to renew each year.

Know what it was in Florida? They charge a $100 fee for each car registered here for the first time. So total to register for the first time was $195 and will be only $45 to renew each year! Can you believe that??? I was floored when she told me how cheap it was. I told her what I just paid in Vegas and she said "why???" Exactly!
why? perhaps because Florida has higher property taxes or maybe state income tax?

Old 05-19-2007, 07:37 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof_ View Post
why? perhaps because Florida has higher property taxes or maybe state income tax?
No, Florida is another state with no income tax. Property taxes are higher in some places here. But I still can't see why it's so expensive to register a car or renew tags in NV.... it's much higher than my native state of Michigan as well. And they have income tax.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
In overall state and local taxes Florida is 38th and Nevada is 36th. In the overall scheme of things about the same. The particular taxes vary but the aggregate is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas