Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:14 PM

51 posts, read 201,589 times

Advertisements

So car regs may be higher but other things maybe lower.
All the states seem to have their own methodology for taxing their citizens. As your favorite poster has pointed out it pretty much works out to be the same overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 12:20 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
There are two things here in Nevada I wish I could change. One is car registration. They started the present system years ago when the price of a new car was very cheap by today's standards. The problem is they didn't foresee how expensive cars would later become so they didn't set a cap on registration as they should have. Now the legislature doesn't want to give up the income. I asked one legislator about it and all she did was dance around the subject and I never got a straight answer. Typical politicians, they never want to cut taxes, they only want to spend your money.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:39 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,426,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
How do they come up with the value of your car? And how are the lines at the DMV? I know when I lived in Phoenix, they were always busy. Here in Ohio, there are never more than 2 people ahead of you. How much are driver's licenses? And how often do you have to renew them?
What BMV do you go to? With maybe a couple of exceptions (rare), I've usually had to wait for 15-20 people in front of me....even when I lived in small town Sidney, Ohio.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof_ View Post
So car regs may be higher but other things maybe lower.
All the states seem to have their own methodology for taxing their citizens. As your favorite poster has pointed out it pretty much works out to be the same overall.

Not quite. Nevada and Florida have local and state taxes that are over a third less than high tax states like NY and Vermont.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:42 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,588,449 times
As for how much it costs here in Nevada to register a car, I have to agree it is high, but you have to remember that the fee includes the "property tax" in it. When I lived in the midwest, the fee to register was small, but you still had to go over to the courthouse and pay the "property tax" on the vehicle so it all rounds out about the same.

As for how busy the DMV is--one word, BUSY. Of course, it depends on when and where you go as to how busy it is. Best I've heard it is to remember the term "mid", go mid-month, mid-week, and mid-day (around 1-2 pm) and you'll find the shortest wait. Also, stay away from the Sahara office if at all possible, it's the busiest in town. And on a first visit as in to first register your car or to get a license you will have to go in, no online or mail available. Although once you've done it, you never have to stand in line again for car registration as long as you own the same car. You can mail it in, use online or go over and use the automated kiosks if you are desparate and need your registration the same day.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:50 AM

10 posts, read 26,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
There are two things here in Nevada I wish I could change. One is car registration. They started the present system years ago when the price of a new car was very cheap by today's standards. The problem is they didn't foresee how expensive cars would later become so they didn't set a cap on registration as they should have. Now the legislature doesn't want to give up the income. I asked one legislator about it and all she did was dance around the subject and I never got a straight answer. Typical politicians, they never want to cut taxes, they only want to spend your money.
I'm curious,What is the other one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas