Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,666,553 times

Advertisements

My vision is excellent, especially my peripheral vision. If it moves, I'll see it. I had lasik done a few years ago, and it really helped me. How does the gel compare to injectable? County medical will pay for it, but they're out at UMC pharmacy. I'll find out the results of my next blood work if anything is wrong.

Cjade: The only kind of "easy" job to get here right now is jumping in the back of a truck with a bunch of other day laborers for construction/yard work type jobs. Unless you're the "type" who kick starts her Harley, it's not for you. You can get around on a bus, but it's better to drive. This is the southwest, you need a car here, or at least a motorscooter. Best of luck, in any case.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:31 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,798 times
One of the newly discovered causes of low testosterone is visceral fat. It interferes with blood supply to the place where testosterone is made.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Those who've met me F2F know that I'm a "well rounded" individual.

Here's a joke I got in email:

Bless This Car

A rabbi, a priest and a minister have their houses of worship side by side, so they decide to carpool.

On the first day, the other two are shocked to see the pastor lay hands on the hood and pray silently.

"What are you doing?" the priest asks.

The pastor looks up. "I'm just dedicating the car to the Lord's service."

"Good idea! Be right back!" the priest exclaims, running into his church. He emerges with a bulb on a short stick, shaking water out of it onto the car.

The rabbi stares. "What are you doing?" he says.

"I'm consecrating it with holy water," the priest replies.

"Great idea!" the rabbi says, and runs into his synagogue's toolshed. He emerges with a hacksaw and takes off an inch of the tailpipe.

Last edited by aqualung8705; 06-14-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 04:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
I was having a lively conversation with someone today who is trying to talk me out of retiring in Las Vegas. She also chastises me for going to Vegas 4 times a year. My friend is of the mindset that Vegas is a place that exists only to make money off the naive. She has never visited Las Vegas and praises the President for stopping the conventions that were planned by some companies that accepted TARP funds because Las Vegas, in her mind, is a corrupt city. I tried to explain to her that the cancellation of these conventions have resulted in job losses. She says I am blowing that out of proportion. Am I? How badly was and is Las Vegas impacted by Obama's opinion of the city?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I was having a lively conversation with someone today who is trying to talk me out of retiring in Las Vegas. She also chastises me for going to Vegas 4 times a year. My friend is of the mindset that Vegas is a place that exists only to make money off the naive. She has never visited Las Vegas and praises the President for stopping the conventions that were planned by some companies that accepted TARP funds because Las Vegas, in her mind, is a corrupt city. I tried to explain to her that the cancellation of these conventions have resulted in job losses. She says I am blowing that out of proportion. Am I? How badly was and is Las Vegas impacted by Obama's opinion of the city?
How ironic is it that yor friend in the same conversation accuses a city (an inanimate mass of buildings and whatnot) of being corrupt and then praises a politician, particularly one that cut his teeth in the incredibly corrupt Chicago political scene? I suppose as long as she keeps drinking Dear Leader's kool-aid everything will be peachy.

I don't feel that I need to defend Vegas from you though. You obviously have first hand experience with the city and seems to me like you have plenty enough commons sense to realize that if you don't want the product then you don't buy it. You are absolutely not blowing this out of proportion. Vegas has lost quite a bit of revenue due to cancelled conventions. Perhaps to set your friend straight you should explain that the the Goldman Sachs technology conference that was moved to San Francisco cost $600,000 just to cancel their reservations at Mandalay Bay not to mention the new convention costs, which were substantially more than what they would have been had the convention stayed in Vegas.

Some facts to back up the truth:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/us/15vegas.html

Las Vegas Wants Corporate Junkets Back Las Vegas Sands, Wynn slam ‘Anti-Stimulus’ of travel - eTurboNews.com

Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM

Thanks for those links. I will pass them on.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Las Vegas is a unique institution. It has a set of facilities that are simply not rivaled in the rest of the world.

It is set up to provide hospitality to large groups of people including food, beverage and entertainment on a scale equalled no where else.

It has the mechanisms to get them in and out. It has the places to house them . It has the places to feed them. It has the places to entertain them.

It has the capability to entertain those who wish the risque or the expensive or the sexual. It will part you from your money at any level desired.

But none of that is required. You have to volunteer. If you wish to come, spend a week and part with no more than $200 you can do that too.

But note that for a resident this is all kind of immaterial. Well nice to have if you decide to go out...but not really of much interest.

It is our steel mill, our insurance processing company,...our car plant.

It is where you work and the engine of our prosperity. But do you think people in Detroit spent their weekends visting the automobile plants?

So it is a big suburban community surrounding our industrial plants. And ours are nicer than many elsewhere...

Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Las Vegas is a unique institution. It has a set of facilities that are simply not rivaled in the rest of the world.

It is set up to provide hospitality to large groups of people including food, beverage and entertainment on a scale equalled no where else.

It has the mechanisms to get them in and out. It has the places to house them . It has the places to feed them. It has the places to entertain them.

It has the capability to entertain those who wish the risque or the expensive or the sexual. It will part you from your money at any level desired.

But none of that is required. You have to volunteer. If you wish to come, spend a week and part with no more than $200 you can do that too.

But note that for a resident this is all kind of immaterial. Well nice to have if you decide to go out...but not really of much interest.

It is our steel mill, our insurance processing company,...our car plant.

It is where you work and the engine of our prosperity. But do you think people in Detroit spent their weekends visting the automobile plants?

So it is a big suburban community surrounding our industrial plants. And ours are nicer than many elsewhere...
Great points!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I leave for a few days and come back to the argument forum.

Hey Aqua, did you use those gift certificates i gave you yet? How is that working out?

Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 AM

No, not yet. My bday is next Monday. Besides, you still need money to use them. I'll have to con sis & her hubby into going with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas