Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 11:39 AM

621 posts, read 538,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Congrats! This is a great story. Much like you and your wife I feel drawn to Las Vegas. I always rent a car and drive around to different places off the beaten path. People where I live in NY don't get it. I have the same desire to be a local. I continue to apply for jobs out there and hopefully my story will have a happy ending like yours before much longer.

Grumpypotpie - I hope you are able ta go to Lost Wages and realize your dream!
Thanks! Just applied for another job on Wednesday. Something will come through eventually.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:39 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Thanks! Just applied for another job on Wednesday. Something will come through eventually.

Yep, on job hunting the law of averages will eventually land you the job. Occasionally you'll hit the jackpot and be just the piece of pie they're looking for a la mode. But usually you'll have a bunch of competition and some of that competition will at times beat you out. Sad but true.

Keep it up and keep trying and you'll find one. I wish you the very best in your efforts!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:28 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
If you aren't afraid of manual labor, the Teamsters are hiring. Show up at their hall on a Tuesday at 8:45am with 70 bucks and they'll put you to work. Low pay if you're not skilled OR if the employer doesn't need someone skilled.

I went there on Tuesday because not a lot of construction going on (not drywall/framing anyway) and by the time I got home I was called into to work the next day. The first 2 days I was at 14 an hour which is about half my normal carpenter pay. Today I did skilled work and made 31.10 an hour plus 2 hours over time. That being said, 14 might be enough for you especially if you have no income at all. Teamsters do the conventions here. Wed and Thu I was tearing down a convention at LSCC today I was at Wynn setting up a jewelry convention. The hardest part of the job is easier than hanging drywall.

Forklift, scissor lift, boom lift, cdl, welding all of that is considered skilled. If you can prove it, they will list you as skilled and when those jobs pop up you'll make more.

Cdl and Welding are slightly different as in they pay a lot more. A LOT.

I get certified in August through the Carpenter's union and once that happens I might drop out IF I land a teamster welding job. 75 an hour is what I was told which is almost double carpenter's top pay.

There are jobs out there if you are willing to work. Also, this is for all genders. There were almost as many women as men working.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 PM

621 posts, read 538,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
If you aren't afraid of manual labor, the Teamsters are hiring. Show up at their hall on a Tuesday at 8:45am with 70 bucks and they'll put you to work. Low pay if you're not skilled OR if the employer doesn't need someone skilled.

I went there on Tuesday because not a lot of construction going on (not drywall/framing anyway) and by the time I got home I was called into to work the next day. The first 2 days I was at 14 an hour which is about half my normal carpenter pay. Today I did skilled work and made 31.10 an hour plus 2 hours over time. That being said, 14 might be enough for you especially if you have no income at all. Teamsters do the conventions here. Wed and Thu I was tearing down a convention at LSCC today I was at Wynn setting up a jewelry convention. The hardest part of the job is easier than hanging drywall.

Forklift, scissor lift, boom lift, cdl, welding all of that is considered skilled. If you can prove it, they will list you as skilled and when those jobs pop up you'll make more.

Cdl and Welding are slightly different as in they pay a lot more. A LOT.

I get certified in August through the Carpenter's union and once that happens I might drop out IF I land a teamster welding job. 75 an hour is what I was told which is almost double carpenter's top pay.

There are jobs out there if you are willing to work. Also, this is for all genders. There were almost as many women as men working.
If I end up coming out there before finding a job, I would be more than willing to do manual labor until something in my field popped up. I have savings for probably 9 or 10 months if I watch myself. Maybe longer if I luck into a good sublet. $14 an hour would almost double the amount of time I would have to find an IT job if it was somewhat consistent work.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:45 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
It has peaks and valleys. A lot of conventions in town? A lot of work.
Not a lot of conventions in town, not a lot of work.

This is where skills come in handy though. Teamsters cover other industries outside of conventions like Republic Services which would be a permanent steady job.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:06 AM

117 posts, read 146,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdd View Post
I want to tell you all about something good happening to me and my wife.

We have been vacationing in Las Vegas for almost 40 years. Always staying at low-end and medium hotels on the strip. We spent countless winter trips with our kids and now just the two of us. We don't smoke, drink or gamble (much) so we are definitely not the typical tourists. We always rent a car and can easily put on over 100 miles per day on a four day trip. We know the area well. We just love the area; its as simple as that.

We own a small business in a small town in Minnesota. We both work 7 days a week to make the business a success. And my wife has outworked me (without complaint) the whole time we have been married. That means that we have missed out on some of the simple things in life. But we always found time for a trip or two or even three to Las Vegas each year.

We are seniors now, and our health is not terrible but not great either. Last year we started working on a strategy for retirement. This year we found a buyer for our business and next week we sign off to the new owners. We will stay with them through the summer to teach them the business.

About five years ago we bought a home in Northwest Las Vegas. We were fortunate enough to find a realtor who understood us and offered to manage the property for us until we were ready to use it. This has worked out well, due to his professional handling of the property. He was truly a blessing to us.

Barring unforeseen circumstances we will be spending winters now in Las Vegas. To say we are excited is an understatement. I don't see us living year-round there but we never know what life has in store for us, do we?

I read this forum every day. I don't have much to offer in the way of information so I am more of a lurker than a contributor like the rest of you. But I have come to know you here and I appreciate your contributions to the dialogue, especially on this forum. I just thought you would like to see that someone out there appreciates Las Vegas and the area for other reasons than the common one.

Las Vegas is our dream and we cannot wait to become "locals".
I'm very happy for you both, and welcome 'home'. I've only been here a few years, but I do not get out much at all, but I love it here.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:56 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
KOOL Summer of Fun Kick-off Festival & Car Show - Las Vegas Shows & Events

Anyone going to this? Starts at 4p.m. Free. At the Cannery, North Las Vegas. Car show and oldies concert.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:59 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Anyone going to this? Starts at 4p.m. Free. At the Cannery, North Las Vegas. Car show and oldies concert.

Coolio topped off with an Iglasius!

Old 05-28-2016, 09:18 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
If I end up coming out there before finding a job, I would be more than willing to do manual labor until something in my field popped up. I have savings for probably 9 or 10 months if I watch myself. Maybe longer if I luck into a good sublet. $14 an hour would almost double the amount of time I would have to find an IT job if it was somewhat consistent work.
Just so you know, Grumpy, IT pays crap out here. Ask me how I know this!

Try applying with TekSystems as a contractor if you want a short term IT gig that pays more than $15 an hour.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:42 AM

505 posts, read 502,346 times
Posted back in January or February about accepting an apprenticeship in Las Vegas and felt like it would be a lifetime before I would be preparing to move.

Now I'm officially a week away (as of yesterday) from making the drive down from Oregon.

I looked at the weather forecast for when I'd be getting into Las Vegas next Saturday, and it looked like it just broke the 100's...what a welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas