Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I love living in CH. It almost has a rural feel as you are surrounded by horse property and open desert. I agree about the easy commute. I'm amazed how quickly you can get downtown. The only traffic seems to hit when you are merging onto I-15 off of the 95. When I come home during rush hour from the Strip area I take sidestreets Bonneville/Alta west and then hop on the 95 or take Buffalo up.
I love driving up 95 to Ch. Its always pleasant...once you get off the constant traffic jam that is 15...once I get on 95, I set my cruise to 70 and relax the rest of the way: )

Its funny to me lyra how people make centennial seem so far as if it's on another planet when 80% of the valley is 25 mins away or less this city is not as big in area as people are led to believe. The only places that are truly "far" from ch would be areas of Henderson like anthem, east Henderson anc McDonald ranch, and boulder city

Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
G

I love driving up 95 to Ch. Its always pleasant...once you get off the constant traffic jam that is 15...once I get on 95, I set my cruise to 70 and relax the rest of the way: )

Its funny to me lyra how people make centennial seem so far as if it's on another planet when 80% of the valley is 25 mins away or less this city is not as big in area as people are led to believe. The only places that are truly "far" from ch would be areas of Henderson like anthem, east Henderson anc McDonald ranch, and boulder city
I can get from around 89121 area to nellis in under 30 minutes. The highways are great and only overly crowded at very predictable times unless there are massive accidents. I could spend 30 minutes on most of the surface streets and barely get anywhere sometimes. I would almost rather drive through the open desert than drive anywhere near the strip.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Agreed, I use the freeways every chance I have. Like I said it takes me 40 minutes to get to work and its 6 or 7 miles away it only takes so long because of the traffic on twain/sands/spring mtn

I still think Maryland ans the fabulous flamingo is the worst. I often use DI and eastern as alternate routes to md and flamingo

The freeways in las vegas are awesome except 15 between 95 and Russell

Old 01-16-2011, 12:59 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Agreed, I use the freeways every chance I have. Like I said it takes me 40 minutes to get to work and its 6 or 7 miles away it only takes so long because of the traffic on twain/sands/spring mtn
Ok, I am starting to see your point. Once in a blue moon my work calls me and asks me if I can start at 5:30 PM instead of 10:30 PM when my co worker calls off work. I have done it a few times and it was hell, especially in the summer with no AC. I would go rent a room in Silverado Ranch (the neighborhood where I work) if I had to work day shift. I could not handle the extreme traffic commuting from here either.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 12,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
LOL, those fuzzy monsters (aka ferrets) are always a laugh a minute.

One of my ferrets from Chicago (who has unfortunately since passed) was a rescue named Toto. I remember leaving a case of beer (in cans) in the front sun room since I was having friends over the next day. Mischievous, silly Toto was a persistent, curious ferret who decided he HAD to see what was in that box. When I was in the kitchen, all of a sudden it got TOO quiet & my ferret radar went crazy. Sure enough, when I walked forward to the sun room I see what had happened ... Toto clawed incessantly at the edge of the carboard box until he pulled the flap open, then pulled out a beer, then punctured it with his fangs (I'd seen him try a few times but didn't think he could do it.)

What do I walk into? A punctured beer on the hardwood floor, a puddle of bliss for six ferrets in a circle lapping it up. I'd swear it was a scene out of Animal House ... "Grab a brew ... don't cost nuthin' ..." I wanted to be angry but I couldn't, it was too funny ... too hard to stay angry at nature's clowns. So, I put them away for a few minutes & cleaned up; I'm sure I was persona non grata for a while. "Daaad, we never get to have any fun!"

Here's a pic I found of Toto, who liked to hang upside down while sleeping ... you can see about half his body hanging out of the hammock while snoozing ... weird:

Another drink story: My spoiled little JLo is very bonded to me & ALWAYS wants to know what I'm doing. You know those plastic mugs with water in the outer perimeter that you can freeze for a long-lasting frosty mug? I like to use them sometimes for a beverage & JLo thinks they're the coolest thing ever; she HAS to know what I'm drinking & wants to share. She'll keep getting up on the couch on my lap, puts her paws on the edge of the mug & pulls down HARD, much harder than you'd expect. Occasionally she gets lucky & gets a sip; if I have soda in there it's funny as she'll recoil from the carbonation - of course it still doesn't stop her from going back for more ...

tijlover, let us know if your fuzzbutt manages to catch a mouse when you're down on the strip. Ours haven't done that yet, but I'm sure they would if we had any around. Our Leela loves to play ping pong with her paws & crickets when they happen to get into the house. I'll find her batting her paws around thinking she has a new toy ... which she does, in a sense! Poor crickets don't know what they're getting into when they wander into this house ...
Ferrets are pretty cool pets, I knew someone who had 2 ferrets, they would fit underneath the door. It was pretty weird, there was enough room between the hardwood floor and the living room to kitchen doors that these little guys would slide through the bottom

Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Ok, I am starting to see your point. Once in a blue moon my work calls me and asks me if I can start at 5:30 PM instead of 10:30 PM when my co worker calls off work. I have done it a few times and it was hell, especially in the summer with no AC. I would go rent a room in Silverado Ranch (the neighborhood where I work) if I had to work day shift. I could not handle the extreme traffic commuting from here either.
It sometimes takes me 1 hour to get to kmart on Buffalo and Washington when I go in at 5pm, even 95 won't get above 35mph during rush hour and 40 mins od that 1 hr trip is just the 1.5 miles from my place to sahara and 15

Old 01-16-2011, 05:38 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
G

If you think that's a nice drive, try the drive from CH to Mt Charleston or Indian Springs and back, particularly when the weather is near perfect like it is lately. The commute is one of the best things about my job believe it or not.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
from the saddle between hooterville and Boulder to my house is 30 miles and its a piece of cake drive....your right this town aint that big.....

Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
G

I totally agree with you on this, Davie! But maybe the people who do complain about it have never lived in a large metro area. It is nothing here in Detroit area to travel 40 minutes to get somewhere. And that is with no traffic.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I totally agree with you on this, Davie! But maybe the people who do complain about it have never lived in a large metro area. It is nothing here in Detroit area to travel 40 minutes to get somewhere. And that is with no traffic.
kimba, your right. 20 miles is not that big a deal
in Orlando it was 20 miles from my house to downtown Orlando and that was maybe 1/2 way across town. this is what I've been talking about, I'm having trouble with understanding how people see Ch and the Nw as being "clear across town"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas