Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Sounds like you seriously need to just start over in many ways. Take some serious risks and just throw yourself into the Sh**. Do something crazy, break out of the rut and feel alive again.
The reason talk is so cheap, because there's an unlimited supply of it. You need to understand the ramifications of being severely depressed, which I'm prone to as well. Check out some of the stories on the Mental Health forum, which I ascribe to.

The first strike when you fall into a depression, is your energy goes out the window. It can seem like a herculean effort just to brush your teeth, take a shower, or get out of bed. Yes, you may finally succeed in getting out of bed, you walk around your house dazed, disoriented, then back to bed you go!

Been there, done that, too many times! Being depressed is like being enveloped in the densest fog imaginable, where you can't even see a glimmer of a tailight in front of you.

I've suffered through depression and suicidal thoughts my entire life, and I'm stunned I've made it as far as I have without pulling the trigger, and some day I will, as it's the one and only reason I bought a gun!

Last edited by tijlover; 09-25-2011 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Our long time moderator Scirocco22 has left us. As I am prone to infractions, I fear who we get next as he was always fair and respectful to me. He never suspended me unlike some others (not naming names as per TOS).

Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The reason talk is so cheap, because there's an unlimited supply of it. You need to understand the ramifications of being severely depressed, which I'm prone to as well. Check out some of the stories on the Mental Health forum, which I ascribe to.

The first strike when you fall into a depression, is your energy goes out the window. It can seem like a herculean effort just to brush your teeth, take a shower, or get out of bed. Yes, you may finally succeed in getting out of bed, you walk around your house dazed, disoriented, then back to bed you go!

Been there, done that, too many times! Being depressed is like being enveloped in the densest fog imaginable, where you can't even see a glimmer of a tailight in front of you.

I've suffered through depression and suicidal thoughts my entire life, and I'm stunned I've made it as far as I have without pulling the trigger, and some day I will, as it's the one and only reason I bought a gun!
Been there myself...so beautifully described. In fact I uttered LVD's same sentiment about sleep, and would sleep for 22 out of the 24 hours in a day.

LVD, seek help.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I hope the replacement has a sense of humor unlike whats his face.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I remember how I used to b@tch and complain about the HOA harassing me when I had a home. That is nowhere near as bad as what I have to deal with now.

LVD-who is the HOA? Sorry to read of your apt. troubles. I hate apts. I really do. With our rowdy Pomeranian and the Chow Chow we have to rent houses, we can't rent apts. And fenced back yard
rental houses get us even more happy.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:

Ah, the proverbial 'I've been depressed so nobody else can understand what I'm going through speech'. I don't need to read mental health forums. I've struggled with depression and worked in mental health.

The biggest problem with depression is actually believing you're depressed and thinking you need to pull yourself out of something which keeps the effect compounded and looking hopeless. Everything you describe can and will happen to many people but it only hangs around because they insist on proclaiming these symptoms as real and inescapable. Depression at its core is all about resistance. Resisting what is and consistently torturing themselves wishing things would be a different way. There is a deep bottomless peace that resides in every moment if one can simply stop resisting. The tricky part here is that you can't simply decide to stop resisting. You have to quite literally lose interest in torturing yourself needlessly and notice this is in fact what you've been doing. You have to lose the notion that you are the victim of a rogue disease who's crippling your life and ditch the poor me attitude.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Ah, the proverbial 'I've been depressed so nobody else can understand what I'm going through speech'. I don't need to read mental health forums. I've struggled with depression and worked in mental health.

The biggest problem with depression is actually believing you're depressed and thinking you need to pull yourself out of something which keeps the effect compounded and looking hopeless. Everything you describe can and will happen to many people but it only hangs around because they insist on proclaiming these symptoms as real and inescapable. Depression at its core is all about resistance. Resisting what is and consistently torturing themselves wishing things would be a different way. There is a deep bottomless peace that resides in every moment if one can simply stop resisting. The tricky part here is that you can't simply decide to stop resisting. You have to quite literally lose interest in torturing yourself needlessly and notice this is in fact what you've been doing. You have to lose the notion that you are the victim of a rogue disease who's crippling your life and ditch the poor me attitude.
I like your description...describing how depression is about resistance. I think of the teeth on the chain of a bike...the resistance needed to be able to pedal and move forward. I think it's true that getting outside of ourselves helps to move past depression, it's not easy when you are stuck. It takes a strong person to pull themselves out and find that tension and friction to move forward. I think it almost always starts with looking at your blessings. Everyone can at least be thankful they are alive...and maybe have one more day...week, or month.

I always try and have compassion for everyones unique circumstance; it seems easy to those who are on the outside looking in...not so easy for the person on the inside. I also think it's important to note that some people are clinically depressed and that chain is stripped with no teeth.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 AM

328 posts, read 726,366 times
Quote:

One day at a time.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Sell that gun. I have a gun but it's not for that reason. I also can be depressed but that's something you need to cope with. Look for good things my friend. One day at a time.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Sell that gun. I also have a gun but not for that reason. I can also get very depressed but you need to cope with it my friend. One day at a time. It does get better and you know it. We are all in the same boat. Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas