Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Love the way employers treat folks in Vegas these days...like complete crap! The junk they get away with now, because they can...with unemployment so high in Vegas. I read in the paper unemployment in Vegas is 11%....I think it is more like 20%. The 99'ers will all go belly up in January if Congress goes over the "fiscal cliff".

My Mom's employer is terrible. Won't go into all the BS...for $9 an hour they think they own you, and can treat employees however they want....don't like it? Fine. Leave. You can be replaced....no lunch breaks, no water given to employees, no bathroom breaks, one person came five minutes late because there was no parking, they docked her 15 minutes of pay. Schedules are crazy...3-11 one day, 7am-3pm the next day...and they only tell people the schedule 3 days in advance now, with right to change it at will...

No lunch breaks and no bathroom breaks = fat payday when she sues the stuffing out of them.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Won't go into who the employer is, but they exploit their workers. They hire older people, who can't get jobs any where else. Hotels contract for these workers.

If you have a half way decent job in Vegas, appreicate it.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

Ha-ha! This is van-tastic! Mom and Dad bought one of these about...what, 1969 or something? We had it in the rec room down in the basement at the Edmonds, WA, house. Played it on the TV that was right next ta the pool table. What a spoiled, suburban Seattle brat I was! I mean we were (I have 3 sisters and no brothers). Guess who dodged jabbing elbows and "Mom, _ _ _ __ hit me!"'s literally constantly? What a great childhood. And Atari Pong started off my video life. What a great gift it would make for us baby boomers now, huh?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
The sheriff wants a tax hike to put more metro officers on the street: Police seek sales tax boost to hire more cops - News - ReviewJournal.com ( they got a fat raise recently)

From the article :
The Metropolitan Police Committee on Fiscal Affairs, which includes representatives from Las Vegas and Clark County, approved a labor agreement with a 25.6 percent increase in pay and benefits over a four-year period.
That offer was rescinded, though, after the County Commission removed Commissioner Tom Collins, a contract supporter, from the committee and replaced him with then-Commissioner Rory Reid, who voted against the contract, essentially killing the deal.
The dispute went to arbitration and was settled in favor of management's offer, which was a 21.85 percent increase.

Good luck with that tax increase. People like schools and libraries, and those tax hikes were voted down. Vegas people aren't real fond of Metro for the most part.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
The police are smart enough to know that the largest voting block in this country are seniors. It's too easy for them, give them a tiny little scare, and they'll vote for it!

The teachers don't have it that easy!!! How could they scare the seniors to voting for one of their proposed tax increases!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:32 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Ha-ha! This is van-tastic! Mom and Dad bought one of these about...what, 1969 or something? We had it in the rec room down in the basement at the Edmonds, WA, house. Played it on the TV that was right next ta the pool table. What a spoiled, suburban Seattle brat I was! I mean we were (I have 3 sisters and no brothers). Guess who dodged jabbing elbows and "Mom, _ _ _ __ hit me!"'s literally constantly? What a great childhood. And Atari Pong started off my video life. What a great gift it would make for us baby boomers now, huh?
The Atari 2600 came out in 1977.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Won't go into who the employer is, but they exploit their workers. They hire older people, who can't get jobs any where else. Hotels contract for these workers.

If you have a half way decent job in Vegas, appreicate it.
Is this only going on in Las Vegas? That's terrible and I would think the no break thing could get them in big trouble. What about the BBB? Or something along those lines. So crappy.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Is this only going on in Las Vegas? That's terrible and I would think the no break thing could get them in big trouble. What about the BBB? Or something along those lines. So crappy.
The BBB is a worthless organization and even if you don't believe that they have noting to do with disputes between employers and employees. In Nevada it's the labor commissioner that regulates wage and hour laws. As far as breaks the law is a 10 minute break for every 3.5 hours worked. A 30 minute meal break (unpaid) is required for an 8 hour shift.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
The BBB is a worthless organization and even if you don't believe that they have noting to do with disputes between employers and employees. In Nevada it's the labor commissioner that regulates wage and hour laws. As far as breaks the law is a 10 minute break for every 3.5 hours worked. A 30 minute meal break (unpaid) is required for an 8 hour shift.
Exactly and they have a general form on their site for filing a complaint. Would be helpful to have as many employees as possible file. You can't really do anything about the changing work schedule but if you aren't getting breaks, get checks late, or not being paid for hours worked then you have something.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
YOU are dead wrong Fish person.....

the BBB would have to have a complete upgrade to be considered worthless. Worthlessless?]

But right on Labor commissioner.....NO ONE should allow that to happen to themselves.....YOU are YOUR OWN BEST UNION. DO NOT accept those conditions, and if complaints to the Commisson result in a company closing, then they deserved it.

I worked at the FQ for 25 years.....8 hour shift and one hour PAID lunch with a FREE Employees Cafeteria....admittedly, because of the recent cost cutting the food slipped from the best in the city to being worth what we paid for it .....but....those are the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas