Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times

Advertisements

I think the entire Las Vegas valley is too "city-ish" for you. Coming from such a small town, you'll be in culture shock in no time.

Maybe you can request that you be transferred elsewhere in the country that would suit your needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I think the entire Las Vegas valley is too "city-ish" for you. Coming from such a small town, you'll be in culture shock in no time.

Maybe you can request that you be transferred elsewhere in the country that would suit your needs?
they will be shocked more by the weather than the culture. arent they from michigan? thats ass freezing, and vegas is well.....ya know....hot

Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Yeah, that may be true in their case Lion and you might be correct, but most folks I know that came from cold, dreary winter states enjoy the heat of Las Vegas and the relatively "mild" winters we get here, compared to where they come from.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
i know that i would LOVE it. winter is scenic, but damn near painful at times. not to mention maying a heating bill. on the other side of this, i was in LV last august, and it too was pretty painful. but id rather be uncomfortable hot than uncomfortable cold.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:11 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
I would guess that aside from Boulder city and possibly Henderson, the rest of Vegas will be a big culture shock for those young girls especially. Still, I think Boulder city is the best bet (but it IS expensive) and even Henderson and Summerlin would be OK I think once they adjust to a much more heavily populated area. At least they are family-type suburban areas.

Some people mentioned places like Mesquite and Bullhead City which I think are obviously way too far to commute. But Searchlight is commute-able, and one that nobody threw out there that I think is also a doable commute would be Overton. Overton is mostly mormons so at least it would have that small-town, country, conservative environment which the girls would be more used to.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
they would definitely not be used to Henderson or Summerlin since the houses are on small lots and they are used to big, open spaces it looks like...

Old 04-20-2009, 03:49 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
They may want to try some smaller towns around the St.George, Utah area. It's only a 2 hour drive from Las Vegas and the small towns like Hurricane, Ivins, Washington, Leeds,etc have a very small town feel. It's like being in Mayberry Rfd. I used to live in St. George and to me that was also Mayberry.
Very nice there, very scenic, close to Zion national park, and many other parks as well.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM

65 posts, read 231,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
This will not help the OP at all, GVR is too busy for them as well...

BTW, we used to live in Seven Hills and GVR and are now much happier where we are at now...
I beg to differ that this will not help the OP. I come from as small town as it comes and I love the small town life. I feel that I have found that here to a certain extent - at least as much as you CAN find that here. The OP was asking for opinions - I gave one - you gave one - others gave one - let the OP decide for themselves if it was "helpful".

Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Note that Lakeland MI is about 10 or 15 miles from the center of Ann Arbor MI a city of about 120,000. I would think it is a small community very close to a big city.

I doubt very much they would find the adjustment in GV or Summerlin very hard.

Might even find happiness in Providence...which is just outside the big city like Lakeland was.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:20 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
I would venture to say that there is nothing comparable to small town MI in Las Vegas. But the OP said they were there last month so I assume they already know that part. It can be done but definitely with some prepping to the children. There is no way they will get a yard that would be close to what they probably had in their small town. Plus, the houses being so close together is a culture shock coming from anywhere (except maybe Detroit city) in MI. Even the older plots in Vegas don't really compare.

Beyond that, the kids will adjust and there are areas that they can do that nicely. I did like Henderson, I thought GVR was nice too. My fave is Centennial Hills/Aliante.

I would say it depends on where they will be working, but seriously, when you live in MI, long commutes (over 30 mins) are nothing so I think that no matter where they live in the valley the commute wouldn't be as big an issue as the community. The economy is not much different in MI than it is in Las Vegas, IMO, so hopefully you have your employment situations worked out before making the move.

Good luck to the OP!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas