Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangladesh View Post
Yes true about he crime rate and true about the bad education in Las Vegas, Nevada but lifeasisrael and you should think that good the police department on top of everything realy would you rather a police department that is lasy and would come to your house very slow if you were being robbed or a police department that's on top of everything think about it.
I called the police when someone shattered my front window it took them about 40 minutes to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteins View Post
Wow, very well put!! I agree with EVERYTHING that was stated but often wondered if only I felt this way. Vegas is THE WORST place in the world to raise a family. We have only been here 3 months and it has been the worst time of my life!! I have 3 kids, one being 11 and just starting middle school. I have never seen my daughter act the way she has acted since moving here. She has always been very pleasant, happy and loves school. Now she is depressed and acts very out of character. I often think of homeschooling her until we make other arangments. We are currently looking into moving to Colorado and will hopefully know more soon. I was just amazed that someone felt the way I do and wanted to add my opinion. My advise to anyone who hates it here, get out as fast as you can!!! Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 year for me and the absolute worst year of my life. What a hell hole!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
1 year for me and the absolute worst year of my life. What a hell hole!!!
Around 20% come here, hate it, and go somewhere else. I think many of them don't fit particularly over the temperatrue issue or the big city issue. There are also some who are simply unable to deal with the change. Kids can do that easily. When I moved to CA the last time my youngest just would not adopt to the move. Finally sent here back east for a two week summer visit. Cured her.

You guys should simply leave as quickly as you rationally can. If it happens in your next place...re-examine...

Old 10-03-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Around 20% come here, hate it, and go somewhere else. I think many of them don't fit particularly over the temperatrue issue or the big city issue. There are also some who are simply unable to deal with the change. Kids can do that easily. When I moved to CA the last time my youngest just would not adopt to the move. Finally sent here back east for a two week summer visit. Cured her.

You guys should simply leave as quickly as you rationally can. If it happens in your next place...re-examine...
I did leave quick, 1 year. I moved to Phoenix from NY been here 18 years with the exception of the year from hell in Vegas. It wasn't the heat in Las Vegas I didn't like or the City itself. It was the type of people that live there and the life style. I like to visit Vegas on occasion, I will admit after I lived there for a year, it took me a long time to visit again, like 14 years to be exact. It's ok for a visit and maybe it would be fun for some young singles but that's it. I can't speak for the suburbs because I didn't live in them. When I lived here Henderson was a one horse town.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I did leave quick, 1 year. I moved to Phoenix from NY been here 18 years with the exception of the year from hell in Vegas. It wasn't the heat in Las Vegas I didn't like or the City itself. It was the type of people that live there and the life style. I like to visit Vegas on occasion, I will admit after I lived there for a year, it took me a long time to visit again, like 14 years to be exact. It's ok for a visit and maybe it would be fun for some young singles but that's it. I can't speak for the suburbs because I didn't live in them. When I lived here Henderson was a one horse town.
Your out of touch. I don't believe you can differentiate between Scottsdale and Green Valley or Summerlin.

Henderson is still a one horse town...just a big one horse town.

Note that the vast majority of us who live in Las Vegas came from somewhere else...Pretty much a cross section of American geography though with a CA tilt. If we as a group are tough to live with you pretty much indict the whole country.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:00 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
The suburbs are totally different from the inner city. Not bad living in them. I don't get it when people continually say "its the people in Vegas that was the problem." Most of the people ive met while living here the last 10 years have been quite nice and polite. Only a rare few of the doom and gloom variety. But it seems alot of the doomers and gloomers hang out on this board.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:02 PM

31 posts, read 298,595 times
I agree with most people on here when they say Las Vegas is the worst place to raise a family. I had not visited vegas since 1993. This summer I convinced my husband to go there once again for a vacation with the kids. We stayed at circus circus. the hotel was pleasant, but when we were on the street thats when I started to hate vegas. XXX cards EVERYWHERE on the sidewalk, rude people who hate people that have California liscense plates, smokers everywhere, this city used to be cleaner in the 90s, but i was shocked at how bad it has become..worse than anything i have ever seen in california

Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal06 View Post
I agree with most people on here when they say Las Vegas is the worst place to raise a family. I had not visited vegas since 1993. This summer I convinced my husband to go there once again for a vacation with the kids. We stayed at circus circus. the hotel was pleasant, but when we were on the street thats when I started to hate vegas. XXX cards EVERYWHERE on the sidewalk, rude people who hate people that have California liscense plates, smokers everywhere, this city used to be cleaner in the 90s, but i was shocked at how bad it has become..worse than anything i have ever seen in california
Vegas is not a suitable place to vacation with children. Particularly not on the strip. It is racey and adult. The Covention and Visitors Bureau and other tourist groups now discourage bringing children. There are however numerous outlying establishments that would provide a suitable surround for children.

The card givers are a long term civic problem that continues to defy solution. Pamphletting is simply a constitutionally protected activity and all attempts to differentiate the XXX cards from pamphlets has failed.

Note that none of this has anything to do with raising children in Las Vegas. My wife and I hardly get to the strip twice a year and then it is always to entertain someone from out of town. Locals raise children in the neighborhoods and suburbs which do not have people handing out XXX cards. Children are aware of gambling at least but, with proper parental teaching, don't have trouble with it.

It is a terrible town for people with addictive personalities.

It is however interchangable with any of the LA, OC, SD suburbs except a lot cheaper, a lot hotter and no ocean.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Your out of touch. I don't believe you can differentiate between Scottsdale and Green Valley or Summerlin.

Henderson is still a one horse town...just a big one horse town.

Note that the vast majority of us who live in Las Vegas came from somewhere else...Pretty much a cross section of American geography though with a CA tilt. If we as a group are tough to live with you pretty much indict the whole country.

You my friend are out of touch. Have you ever lived in the Phoenix area?

Are you a Vegas Realtor? If you are I can't blame you for trying. It's getting tough out there lately. Good Luck!!!

Old 10-14-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
You my friend are out of touch. Have you ever lived in the Phoenix area?

Are you a Vegas Realtor? If you are I can't blame you for trying. It's getting tough out there lately. Good Luck!!!
When we moved to Las Vegas one of the two alternatives was Phoenix. We looked at it hard. I also have weeks of visits there over the last 30 years though I have not lived there.

My wife does sell Real Estate and I am licensed and help her.We do reasonably well though the market at the moment is like Phoenix...it sucks. . We are actually retirees though. Any time the RE gets dull we quit and go sailing.

We have a local list where Phoenix knocking is high art. A couple of people who grew up there and hate the place. It is amazing. I consider Phoenix less desirable than Las Vegas though I think Tucson very similar to Vegas. I would not however object to living in any of the three cities. Check out Joker on the Las Vegas RJ site. He feels even more strongly about Phoenix than you do about Vegas..and he grew up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas