Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 PM

88 posts, read 143,421 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm flying out to Vegas in a couple of weeks for a job interview. My biggest concern is pretty much salary at this point.

The job would be down southwest of the city. Is most of the stuff south of the city okay? In the vicinity of the 215? I can't figure out from other posts if Henderson is bad or good! What about Enterprise, Paradise, or Spring Valley?

The job and company sound great, though. I'd like it assuming I can get a decent salary (once I figure out exactly what a decent salary would be).

Edit:
Incidentally, I'm looking at apartments... Curious about what's a reasonable rent (not anything fancy in a high-rise).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 04:19 PM

450 posts, read 1,514,528 times
I think I know the hospital/hospitals you're speaking of which are right down the road I-215/Sunset/Durango. I live in the area and I love it! Very quiet, reasonable rents, lots of convenient shopping nearby, as well as restaurants. It's most definitely lower on the crime list, but keep in mind, crime does happen everywhere. There are incidents in my complex, but nothing that I have personally witnessed or heard.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks a lot. But the name misleads you. Doctor Who is a television show!!! No working in the medical field for me.

I've seen prices all over the board... Is about $800 reasonable in that area?

Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
depends on the size of the apartment and area.. most likely closer to a grand or better

Old 09-09-2009, 05:52 PM

54 posts, read 128,382 times
The area is nice. If Rhodes Ranch is close enough for you, I'd look there.

Something I've learned (and may not be 100% accurate) since my time here, the closer to the mountains you are, the nicer the area and lower the crime. You're never going to be completely insulated from crime, but as long as you use common sense, you should be fine.

Apartment complexes are a dime a dozen. You can rent a house for the same price as an apartment, though deposits are a hell of a lot higher.

Good luck in your interview! I've loved every minute of living in this city since accepting a job here.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:54 PM

i agree, closer to the mtns, the better.. but he aint gonna find much for 800 at rhodes ranch...

Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM

54 posts, read 128,382 times
True, but you can find apartments near Rhodes Ranch for around $800. Though you won't get much in the way of square footage.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 PM

i would be careful.. imo in rhodes ranch is nice, around rhodes ranch is sketchy

Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs63 View Post
Something I've learned (and may not be 100% accurate) since my time here, the closer to the mountains you are, the nicer the area and lower the crime. You're never going to be completely insulated from crime, but as long as you use common sense, you should be fine.
The reason for that is we started building out from the center of the Valley, so as you get close to the mountains the developments are newer. Newer is more expensive, and has a better appearance. It keeps out the riff raff until the area starts to age and the values drop when people don't take care of them. After watching Las Vegas neighborhoods for 45 years I have come to the conclusion that they age and deteriorate much faster than in other cities. At least since Las Vegas is so new, and other cities are already old, they appear to. Go gated. It helps keep up the property appearance and value. You can drive through run down areas and still see nice gated communities. I'm not saying buy there though. Life is too short, deals are too abundant, to buy in an old neighborhood. Enterprise and Paradise are two of the oldest (over 50), Spring Valley is about 25-30 and getting long in the tooth. Summerlin won't be built out for at least 15 more years, and it will never be allowed to get run down. Green Valley already has some pretty old areas but is still being built out. The problem with Green Valley is it's elevation...most of it anyway. It's hotter in summer and colder in winter and the air is dirty. It's in Henderson which is still an industrial town although not as much so as when it was founded...as an industrial site. Personally I'd rather have my return address say Las Vegas than Henderson, but that's just me. No way would I want it to say North Las Vegas though under any circumstances...I don't care how much they yell and scream and try to tout Aliante. I've learned my lesson on where to buy...probably. No guarantees. My first house was near a goat ranch off Lamb and Charleston. It cost $20,900 in 1967, and was a nice enough, albeit cheap, neighborhood. Today it may not be worth as much as I paid for it...and to live there now your life would be worth even less. Just move to Summerlin, Desert Shores, Peccole Ranch, The Lakes, or maybe somewhere in the northwest, where they have strict CC&Rs.

Now there's the answer to all of you that keep asking...don't make me tell you again.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the additional input. As has been pointed out, crime happens pretty much everywhere. I just want to avoid moving into the Inglewoods and Comptons of Las Vegas.

What are the electric, water, trash, heating bills like out there? How much would I expect to pay per month? How about car registration? I'm just constructing a yearly and monthly budget so I have an idea of what I'll be negotiating for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas