Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM

67 posts, read 103,130 times

Advertisements

we are coming from Saginaw...about hour and a half away from Detroit. That is our reason for going out there to find jobs, we are not giving up our jobs at home, just taking a leave to see if we can set up shop in Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
I don't know why people keep on deciding to move to a town thats imploding due to the recession. Once the recession is over around the world; Vegas will still be in a recession. Do want you want, but I can tell you would be making a disaster. Lets put it this way, move to Detroit now. What you see in Detroit is whats coming Vegas way.
We live 90 miles away from Detroit. Next point?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yes, come out here. You have enough money to last for a year easily. The job market is still bad, but you are going about the right right way.
Thanks...We didn't just decide let's move somewhere..hey how about Vegas, We have been there quite a few times in the last 2 years, I love alot of aspects about Vegas. This next time is "the big test" so to say. But we have planned on this for awhile so I feel this isn't something we are just jumping into. But thanks for one of the few positive responses

Old 10-29-2009, 05:39 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawsdl View Post
Thanks...We didn't just decide let's move somewhere..hey how about Vegas, We have been there quite a few times in the last 2 years, I love alot of aspects about Vegas. This next time is "the big test" so to say. But we have planned on this for awhile so I feel this isn't something we are just jumping into. But thanks for one of the few positive responses

What field do you and your husband work in?

Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yes, come out here. You have enough money to last for a year easily. The job market is still bad, but you are going about the right right way.
You are suggesting that two people can live for a year in Las Vegas on 20k? Thats simply not realistic or you dont mind living at the poverty line.

If they both have cars, rent, food, insurance, power it would get eaten up a lot quicker than that. Even assuming one (or both) cars are paid off, thats cutting it really tight to move here and try and strike a good paying job.

I'm sorry to the OP for not being positive, but Vegas is a very tough nut to crack right now, depending on your line of work, which makes all the difference.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
25k will get yuo about 5-6 mos of conservative living......not sure if that's enough unless yuo're in a very desireable field

Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawsdl View Post
We live 90 miles away from Detroit. Next point?
just ignore armyjimb... i wish you the best when you get here.. my wife got a job quickly, it took me 2 1/2 months...

Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Check again in the winter. This place is at the bottom and we all feel it. It is still workable but hard. However it will turn soon and then the confidence will return.

And if it is worse than now in Feb I would wait a while.

Don't jump from the fire into the frying pan.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
You are suggesting that two people can live for a year in Las Vegas on 20k? Thats simply not realistic or you dont mind living at the poverty line.

If they both have cars, rent, food, insurance, power it would get eaten up a lot quicker than that. Even assuming one (or both) cars are paid off, thats cutting it really tight to move here and try and strike a good paying job.

I'm sorry to the OP for not being positive, but Vegas is a very tough nut to crack right now, depending on your line of work, which makes all the difference.
All my bills and expenses come out to 10k a year, including rent, car insurance, utilities, food etc. I do not live in poverty whatsoever. These people have saved up 25k, so they can easily live on that amount for a year, and quite well on it. I personally could live on 25k for 2 and a half years.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:56 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
25k will get yuo about 5-6 mos of conservative living......not sure if that's enough unless yuo're in a very desireable field
So spending a thousand dollars a week for two people is conservative living? That is more like extravagant living if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas