Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:04 PM

27 posts, read 108,416 times

Advertisements

Ok, in 1999 I relocated from near Boston, MA to Redondo Beach Ca.... Due to the company I relocated for going under I moved back about a year later.

I've regretted the move in some ways for years... I now have an opurtunity to move and I've been thinking Nevada for awhile... no snow, no ice, no humidity... and a favorable housing market if you're looking to buy.

I seem to have it down to Summerlin or Henderson.

Any advice which way to go? When I first get out there I'll most likely rent (since I wont have a job yet and prefer not to have a co-signer on my mortgage) but may consider buying a small condo cash and then upgrading when I'm ready.

So, what are peoples thoughts on Summerlin v. Henderson and why?

It will be me and most likely my dog (slight chance she might stay with a family member here).

Anything else I should really know?

Can't say the idea of scorpions thrill me... but I've talked to people who have been there most their life and rarely seen one.

Thank you in advance for help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
The only scorpion I've ever seen was when I was living in Texas. I know they live here but I haven't seen one yet.

The economy is a lot scarier than scorpions. It's really bad here. I would suggest you either have a job first or a LOT of money.

Las Vegas is a very fun place to live! Provided you can make a living here.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:31 PM

if I rent I'll have about 1yr maybe more put away to cover rent and bills (phone, utils, car) and I'm in Real Estate now, I have a job offer out there, but it will take me some time to learn the area and get going... so as much as I really prefer to buy it may be safer (and easier) for me to rent.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:44 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
1year is not enough... sorry.. and an offer in real estate? you can go anywhere and be an agent... you need a REAL offer that gets you a guaranteed paycheck

Old 11-15-2009, 03:47 PM

really? that bad? having 1yr to cover all bills and extra for spending? wow... ok... maybe I'll rethink this...

Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
RE companies wil offer anyone with a license and a pulse a job......it's then up to you to scrounge up the clients.
RE is about CONTACTS CONTACTS CONTACTS
Unless o are retired from something and have aliving income to support you while you build up the CONTACTS CONTACTS CONTACTS

Old 11-15-2009, 04:04 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Did I mention that you need CONTACTS?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
and not the one's that you put in your eyes..

Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 PM

ok, I should have pointed out I'm in Real Estate now so I know all this and no, not all RE agencies hire anyone and I wouldn't work for one who did, I also would be working on someones "team" which gives me a small cut while I'm building my contacts and working leads.

That all being said, I would probably only do that PT and look for something else full-time.

I've owned a wholesale food company and owned a restaurant, so I do have other "skills" which I'm sure many other people out there also have... I just assumed having 1yr of bills covered would give me enough time to find work and build income... hopefully before depleting the whole 1yr of funds.

but I do really appreciate the feedback. looks like it might be another winter of snow for me!

Old 11-15-2009, 04:12 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life1975 View Post
really? that bad? having 1yr to cover all bills and extra for spending? wow... ok... maybe I'll rethink this...
I'm going to assume 1975 is in your name as that is the year of your birth meaning you'll be 34 yo by the end of 2009. If that's the case and you have worked so hard to save about a year's worth of living expenses, why risk losing so much of it by moving to LV while the local Economy is extremely weak? As others have said, RE has minimal barriers to entry so getting into the field is easy. However, you need to have contacts and build your reputation before you make good money in the field. Seeing as the LV RE market and Economy are very weak right now, moving to the area may not be the best idea right now. There are signs of a bottom and a slow down on the free fall but, looking at Government policy and other factors, there is no good reason for a major up-tick. Keep in mind, just b/c the bad Economic times slow down and become less bad does not mean that things will be very good once the decline is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas