Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM

450 posts, read 1,514,528 times

Advertisements

Ditto on the heat! As an avid softball player, playing for the first time in the heat last summer, one word: WOW! I felt so sluggish when it was like 96 out! THen it hit 108 when we were playing and I thought we were playing on top of a burning field! Literally it felt like my skin was peeling off. I went through a small bottle of water before the games (yes, games as in some einstein w/ the parks and recreation department decided double headers in the desert were a good idea!) , and then 2 of those Smart Water bottles during the games. Tried drinking gatorade/powerade before and during, same results...no bueno! My rule last summer was if the temperature was 105 and below, I would go biking for an hour, but anything above that, no, it's just wayyyyy too hot! Regardless of how much water you drink, it's still too hot and your body overheats way to quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 01:11 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Man and woman were never designed to live in the desert.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
or in sno....snoe.....snuw....however the he%^ you spell it....

Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Ummmm...bedouins and eskimos....yet I am neither and I live in Las Vegas and Detroit...those two cities just keep adding up the marks against them....ugh. Good thing I didn't really have a choice with neither of them or I just might be paranoid about ever making another decision again! Given the two...it's VEGAS BABY!!!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
or in sno....snoe.....snuw....however the he%^ you spell it....
Wife and I just bought ourselves snowshoes after giving it a try last winter and loving it. In the snow, one can always dress more, or keep active to stay warm. In that desert heat...there's only so many clothes one can take off and if you lie there with no activity for too long...you'll dehydrate.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Wife and I just bought ourselves snowshoes after giving it a try last winter and loving it. In the snow, one can always dress more, or keep active to stay warm. In that desert heat...there's only so many clothes one can take off and if you lie there with no activity for too long...you'll dehydrate.
is there a use for snow shoes in las vegas?? will i still be able to enjoy snow without actually having to live in it?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
is there a use for snow shoes in las vegas?? will i still be able to enjoy snow without actually having to live in it?
Yes, you will be able to enjoy it without living in it. We did have a freak thing happen in 2008 with snow. We actually had a snow day. Only because people here do not know/or remember how to drive in it. But normally no snow. If you do want it you can travel up to Mt. Charleston and enjoy some snow. Then come home and not have to shovel your driveway.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 AM

391 posts, read 1,713,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
The Las Vegas hiking club does a few treks with snow shoes.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Pass the grain of salt. Both climates can and will kill on occasion.

Both climates are perfectly reasonable to live in with the proper care.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM

364 posts, read 991,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakoch View Post
I know, I know, there are lots of similar threads but none of them speak directly to what I am asking and I didn't want to jack anyone else's. Perhaps some of these questions have been answered and I missed them. If they have, I am sorry. Thank you in advance for your help.

I am a 24 year old guy looking at an opportunity to relocate to LV. I am a Federal employee and would be moving with my agency so, job = check. I have no family to bring along, just me. I have spent time in Phoenix in July and August, so I have experienced the heat. In fact, I hate winters in the midwest so the desert is quite appealing.

The bars and clubs and strip in general don't interest me much. I am looking more for input on the availability of recreation and outdoor activities surrounding LV. I am an avid endurance athlete looking for good training weather and opportunities. The main question would is: is living in Las Vegas a bad idea for someone who has no interest in the entertainment it has to offer, save for when I have family/guests visit?

My office would be located in the city but I would rather not live in a downtown-big city area (I've lived in the 'burbs 15 minutes from downtown STL all my life). That being said, what could I expect to pay in rent and are there reasonably affordable places near but outside the city? For reference, I would likely be a GS-11 by the time I relocate.

Thanks for your input.
The thing about Las Vegas is that the city is what you want it to be. For you "outsiders" you don't seem to realize that Las Vegas is a real city with real residents who are busy with their day to day lives. Being in St Louis, were you expected to be a beer drinker all the time (St Louis being famous for its breweries).

If you want to gamble, then the option is here for you. If you want to go nightclubbing, then the option is here for you.

If you want to be like the 97% of us, then chances are you'll be too busy to partake in these activities. But it's nice knowing the options exist. And I do gamble from time to time.

One thing about Las Vegas is that it's never boring.

And don't worry about the heat. You'll get used to it. I would take a desert summer over a Midwest summer any day. I'm not a fan of high humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas