Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoneyMonkey View Post
I was told there IS a law in Nevada that requires that the carpet MUST be changed after a tenant moves out who has owned a pet. [consumer complaint not allowed] I will post the law and the section once I locate it.
Comeon this is Nevada. We believe renters should be kept in corrals and barns. Be thankful you got carpet.

Practically a good LL will change carpet when it is worn. Pets may make it wear faster particular in areas like doorways. But other than that pets don't do anything to carpet.

We have two cats and a dog and aside from cleaning up hairballs they don't do much. We do have one that damages leather furniture though he knows he is not supposed to. Costs us a couple of hundred bucks every third year to repair.

We have rock in most all our heavy wear areas which likely prevents any pet wear on the floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Comeon this is Nevada. We believe renters should be kept in corrals and barns. Be thankful you got carpet.

Practically a good LL will change carpet when it is worn. Pets may make it wear faster particular in areas like doorways. But other than that pets don't do anything to carpet.

We have two cats and a dog and aside from cleaning up hairballs they don't do much. We do have one that damages leather furniture though he knows he is not supposed to. Costs us a couple of hundred bucks every third year to repair.

We have rock in most all our heavy wear areas which likely prevents any pet wear on the floors.
It not about what the pet has done to the carpet. It's about the next tenant that is allergic to pet hair and then wants to sue the property manager/owner for not disclosing that the previous tenants owned pets. My wife stays in court for stuff like this. Most times it's a fluke case but there was one very serious situation where a young child was very sensitive to anything to do with long hair house pets even months after the previous renters moved out. The pet fee and pet deposit pays for new carpet every time.

Better safe than sorry.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:41 PM

249 posts, read 331,406 times
Even if there was a law it would be impossible to make sure every single landlord adhered to it. There is not enough money to have that kind of manpower.

Carpet in rentals make my skin crawl. I don't wear shoes in my home, never have, never will. And even though I have a rental apartment carpet professionally cleaned I never feel that it's completely cleaned ... how could it be? I wish it was the law that all rentals have to be tile. Clean it down w/ bleach and it's good to go!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
There's no law that states landlords must do any such thing. Your average carpet with adequate care should last 10 years. Your average tenant stays in a rental for ~2 years.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:19 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
It not about what the pet has done to the carpet. It's about the next tenant that is allergic to pet hair and then wants to sue the property manager/owner for not disclosing that the previous tenants owned pets. My wife stays in court for stuff like this. Most times it's a fluke case but there was one very serious situation where a young child was very sensitive to anything to do with long hair house pets even months after the previous renters moved out. The pet fee and pet deposit pays for new carpet every time.

Better safe than sorry.
I think that is an apartment thing Von...

I have sold a few hundred houses and have never had an issue over pets and carpets even where it was obvious pets were involved. Disclosing pets prior is not even required. They are assumed. A pet door virtually assures you there were pets. And pet doors and a good fence in the back yard is a selling feature not a disclosure.

I am not going to argue with your wife. I am sure she is competent at what she does. But no we do not replace good carpets over pets. And in a 1500 SF home in a reasonable area that is 2 or 3,000. Ain't gonna happen.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 PM

531 posts, read 758,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREK45 View Post
hOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN AN APARTMENT BEFORE THEY CHANGE THE CARPET? LIKE CALIFORNIA THEY HAVE TO CHANGE THE CARPET IN FIVE YEARS, WITHOUT CHARGE. wHAT ABOUT LAS VEGAS? CAN ANYONE TELL ME AND GIVE ME THE RIGHT ANSWER?
Supply and demand.
No demand -> free months/cable/gym...
Less supply -> high rent

Old 11-01-2014, 12:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREK45 View Post
hOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO LIVE IN AN APARTMENT BEFORE THEY CHANGE THE CARPET? LIKE CALIFORNIA THEY HAVE TO CHANGE THE CARPET IN FIVE YEARS, WITHOUT CHARGE. wHAT ABOUT LAS VEGAS? CAN ANYONE TELL ME AND GIVE ME THE RIGHT ANSWER?
One reason you came here from California is that we don't impose silly laws like that on anyone.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:26 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Sometimes on Judge Judy, when a Landlord is suing a Tenant for damages, JJ will say that the carpet was 5 years old and therefore now has zero value, so I assumed that 5 years was kind of an industry standard. However, my Son is a Property Manager and we had a discussion about it, and he says that is not the norm. The carpeting in our unit is 7 year rated carpet, so that is when they can no longer go after a Tenant for carpet replacement costs.

Don

Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
If you wish to get the life cycle of the carpet you would get the product information from the manufacturer. If a landlord wants to go after a tenant for the cost to replace a carpet that was only 3 years old and the carpet was rated for 10 years of lifespan, he could hypothetically sue for 70% of the cost.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I think that is an apartment thing Von...

I have sold a few hundred houses and have never had an issue over pets and carpets even where it was obvious pets were involved. Disclosing pets prior is not even required. They are assumed. A pet door virtually assures you there were pets. And pet doors and a good fence in the back yard is a selling feature not a disclosure.

I am not going to argue with your wife. I am sure she is competent at what she does. But no we do not replace good carpets over pets. And in a 1500 SF home in a reasonable area that is 2 or 3,000. Ain't gonna happen.
Yeah, I'm sure apartments and houses differ in this matter. But if a landlord collected a decent amount of pet fee/deposit, replacing a carpet would not be a big deal financially. For a single family home, I would think a professional steam cleaning would suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas