Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:58 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Wider shot, different year.

Attachment 56803
I see you got our Christmas card and are proudly displaying it on the counter. Strangely, I don't remember receiving one from you that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,245,008 times
I have seen an inordinate amount of local construction here over the past 20 years and I think that your perception that there are a lot of soffits in kitchens is somewhat odd. Granted, its your perception and its true that a lot of homes do have them built in. They were popular in the 90's, like you mentioned. They were built less as time progressed because they are labor intensive. America West homes seem to feature this design more than others. Oddly, they also are one of the few builders that don't venture above 8 ft ceilings upstairs, which I also think is criminal, but I digress.

Most homes built in the last 5 years have 9 foot ceilings and 42" uppers, while not standard, are a popular option as are stair stepped cabinetry. There is a neighborhood by Woodside Homes, Las Colinas, in Mountains Edge where most of the homes feature cabinets stacked on top of the 42" cabinets. I'm talking cabinet fever here! You can take a virtual tour of the homes I mention if you are willing to search them out.

Its rather expensive to build the soffits as you describe, so you will see them in higher end homes, especially to frame in the double ovens and high end refrigerators.

What I wish builders were more inclined to do is to push the cabinets that are above the refrigerators forward. This looks pretty cool with counter depth refrigerators. I think it gives the kitchen a close to built-in look without the outrageous price.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 AM

157 posts, read 420,288 times
so based on the answers, it appears that I've hit a non-statistically valid set of houses in which most have soffits....so glad to know that if I keep looking I'll find my beloved 42" cabinets and not have to do demo on an otherwise perfectly good house. :-)

Thanks all
Lisa

Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM

990 posts, read 1,654,798 times
Quote:
Because we're all too short to reach that high.

Actually, mine don't. We put decorative crap up there, like large plates, and chickens...but not chicken crap.

This is a tight view as seen from the living room pass through, so it looks small.

Attachment 56802
Your builder chose dust catchers insteand of soffits.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 AM

238 posts, read 548,186 times
Okay, I still don't know what a soffit is. Here's my kitchen. Do I have soffits? Please ignore the linoleum floor, it will be replaced soon.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
No, you do not have soffits. If you did have them, the ceiling would be dropped down and be parallel or almost parallel to the front of your cupboards. If it is open above your cupboards and you can set things up there, then you do not have soffits.

Another thing I have had a problem with in Las Vegas homes is the lack of molding I am accustomed to and I am comparing comtemporary house to contemporary house. I am used to seeing windows and doors that are completely framed out inside with big thick decorative molding that is then usually painted white.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
No, you do not have soffits. If you did have them, the ceiling would be dropped down and be parallel or almost parallel to the front of your cupboards. If it is open above your cupboards and you can set things up there, then you do not have soffits.

Another thing I have had a problem with in Las Vegas homes is the lack of molding I am accustomed to and I am comparing comtemporary house to contemporary house. I am used to seeing windows and doors that are completely framed out inside with big thick decorative molding that is then usually painted white.
My home improvement expertise is limited to changing lightbulbs, so I'm still not sure what a soffit is, but I think the house we just bought has them. (But then again, I don't spend much time in the kitchen, so I'm not sure what the pros and cons of them are anyway.)

I am, however, pretty certain that we have the decorative molding that you like so much on all of the windows (especially in our living room). Since everyone else is posting pictures, here is a virtual tour of the house we will be moving into in a couple of weeks (there are 3 views of our kitchen half-way through):

Property Slideshow

Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM

157 posts, read 420,288 times
Hi MadMan,

Beautiful house! And you do have soffits above your kitchen cabinets. The framing/drywall comes down and butts into your upper cabinets. If you could put pretty plates, fake chickens and plastic ivy on the top of your cabinets you would not have soffits.

Congrats on your pending Vegas move....we hope to be shortly behind you!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Because we're all too short to reach that high.

Actually, mine don't. We put decorative crap up there, like large plates, and chickens...but not chicken crap.

This is a tight view as seen from the living room pass through, so it looks small.

Attachment 56802
We keep our chickens in the chicken coop....

Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
OMG, your house is beyond beautiful. Somehow I knew it would be. You have a very, very lucky wife. There is so much style and quality in that house. Yes, you do have soffits and I'm surprised. The house is quite contemporary as I love and the windows have the molding as I have now and the correct description for them, if anyone asks, is double transom. Such an amazing builder to add all the little extra things that give that house extra wow. I especially liked the stairway, the clever way he left the niche next to them and the frosted glass windows between the bedroom and bathroom keeping privacy but adding more light. The one thing I am different about though is I don't like my square footage divided between a living room and family room. Whatever I buy I will have to most likely pay to have a wall removed so all I have is one big great room. Aren't the grounds in Spanish Trail amazing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas