Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 AM

515 posts, read 1,180,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post
I have a few leads and a couple of interviews next week with counselors about my financial assistance for my certification.
You might want to look long and hard at that MCSE. The standing joke is that MCSE stands for "Must Consult Someone Experienced." Certifications in general are "nice to haves" on a resume in conjunction with significant work experience, but when a certification is the only thing you've got, it is frequently considered a negative.

The guys who sell the prep courses and the certs themselves will spin you a different story - that it's a foot in the door, that it's a way to break the vicious cycle of jobs that require experience when there's no way to get experience without a job. But the guys who tell you that, they get your money and are long gone before you discover just how little that piece of paper is worth.

There is no fool-proof way to get ahead in the industry. There is no substitute for putting in the time - they say it takes roughly 10,000 hours of practice to make someone an expert at anything - be it a sport, a musical instrument or any other profession. A reasonably smart guy would be eminently employable long before he's reached 10,000 hours - not an expert, but able to hold their own in a junior position.

If I were you, I would look for any way possible to put some of that time in. Volunteer work is where I would start - seek out local charities that already have computer systems but could use a helping hand with them. They get an improved system in exchange for putting up with your learning the ropes on their systems - just be sure to start small and make sure you can undo anything you do, you don't want to ever leave them in a worse place than when you started.

Even better if they've already got an experienced admin who has been volunteering there - if you take direction from him you have less to worry about totally screwing things up by accident. Just make sure to stay humble, until you've got those 10,000 hours never assume you know better - a clunky system that works is better than a 'perfect' mess.

And while volunteering doesn't pay any bills, you can list it as professional experience on a resume - no one needs to know it was unpaid - and it doesn't put you in any further debt either.

Last edited by Kaiminani; 01-23-2010 at 01:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 02:45 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post
woah wait a minute, what do i have to do to get taken to dinner by you guys??
Hey, wait your turn. I'm next.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Hey, wait your turn. I'm next.
Guess we'd better start taking numbers

Sometime I'll have to treat - you know, pay it forward & all that. I believe in karma.

I still wanna know how LVD does it. While I try to be careful with money & live within my means, LVD sure seems to be setting the standard. He outta be the poster child for people coming to Las Vegas & trying to get by on less.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
We can all meet at the Main Street Station buffet. I already have like six people who are interested so far. I have Aqualung covered, so why don't we just set a time and date for all of us city data members to meet up. I think this would be the best idea.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:26 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
We can all meet at the Main Street Station buffet. I already have like six people who are interested so far. I have Aqualung covered, so why don't we just set a time and date for all of us city data members to meet up. I think this would be the best idea.
That's a great idea LVD, but it might be better to start a new thread for the proposed get together rather than burying it on the 8th page of this thread.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM

49 posts, read 179,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
just curious if i read this right... you didn't make the 1st payment on the car? did you put money down on the car?
$2000 down and 6 months payed insurance

Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippyman View Post
He moved to Vegas with a job. He bought a car because his other car was totaled in an accident with an uninsured driver. He didn't know he was going to quit his job for a new job in Vegas when he bought the car. Did I get it right?
Yes

1. Posted about best way to move to LV.

2. Best way (according to posters here, which I do believe) save 6 months living expenses and/or job lined up.

3. Got hit by drunk driver and bought car.

4. Flew to LV for the weekend (invited by a friend who connected me with people) 2 days after I bought the car to look for work and got hired.

5. Moved here with new car and a job the following week.

6. Got laid off 3 weeks later

I think I did it the right way I just didn't think I would get laid off in 3 weeks. I didn't have a backup plan I think the situation I'm in would require an "emergency counter measure" which definitely didn't cross my mind.

Last edited by D.A.Lobo; 01-23-2010 at 05:24 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post
Yes

1. Posted about best way to move to LV.

2. Best way (according to posters here, which I do believe them) save 6 months living expenses and/or job lined up.

3. Got hit by drunk driver and bought car.

4. Flew to LV for the weekend (invited by a friend who connected me with people) 2 days after I bought the car to look for work and got hired.

5. Moved here with new car and a job the following week.

6. Got laid off 3 weeks later

I think I did it the right way I just didn't think I would get laid off in 3 weeks. I didn't have a backup plan I think the situation I'm in would require an "emergency counter measure" which definitely didn't cross my mind.
It is going to be tough because we are losing jobs again. The new unemployment rate just came out yesterday, and we are up from 12.1% to now 13.1%.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is going to be tough because we are losing jobs again. The new unemployment rate just came out yesterday, and we are up from 12.1% to now 13.1%.
I believe that, but like I said. With my experience in the hospitality industry (VIP Hosts/Doorman) I think I'll be able to find a job rather quickly. There's usually a high turn over rate at all the low end strip/nightclubs in town and there's a clear reason why. Low wage coupled with a high risk of getting in disputes with customers. Nobody wants to go to work knowing tonight might be the night some drunk customer decides to stab you for asking him to leave. In those places you're more of a "bouncer" rather than a "VIP Hosts" who provides customer service.

A typical VIP Host at a high end club like 'XS' or Sapphire's makes around $10/hr + $200-400 in tips a night. Extremely hard to get into those places and not only that in some places they require a "model looking" staff. I got that part covered!

As far as my 'professional career' in the IT Industry, I'm still a few months away from certification much less trying to get a job in it. I'm finalizing my financial assistance and should be start class next month. By May I should have my A+, Net+ and Security+ Certs. I'm self studying right now for the A+ and plan on taking the Cert. test by the end of next month.

First things first:

1. Get a job.

2. Start school.

3. Catch up on bills.

Exit plan:

NOT OPTIONAL!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
You might want to look long and hard at that MCSE. The standing joke is that MCSE stands for "Must Consult Someone Experienced." Certifications in general are "nice to haves" on a resume in conjunction with significant work experience, but when a certification is the only thing you've got, it is frequently considered a negative.

The guys who sell the prep courses and the certs themselves will spin you a different story - that it's a foot in the door, that it's a way to break the vicious cycle of jobs that require experience when there's no way to get experience without a job. But the guys who tell you that, they get your money and are long gone before you discover just how little that piece of paper is worth.

There is no fool-proof way to get ahead in the industry. There is no substitute for putting in the time - they say it takes roughly 10,000 hours of practice to make someone an expert at anything - be it a sport, a musical instrument or any other profession. A reasonably smart guy would be eminently employable long before he's reached 10,000 hours - not an expert, but able to hold their own in a junior position.

If I were you, I would look for any way possible to put some of that time in. Volunteer work is where I would start - seek out local charities that already have computer systems but could use a helping hand with them. They get an improved system in exchange for putting up with your learning the ropes on their systems - just be sure to start small and make sure you can undo anything you do, you don't want to ever leave them in a worse place than when you started.

Even better if they've already got an experienced admin who has been volunteering there - if you take direction from him you have less to worry about totally screwing things up by accident. Just make sure to stay humble, until you've got those 10,000 hours never assume you know better - a clunky system that works is better than a 'perfect' mess.

And while volunteering doesn't pay any bills, you can list it as professional experience on a resume - no one needs to know it was unpaid - and it doesn't put you in any further debt either.
Thanks for your input, I've been told about that happening. Right now I'm starting from the bottom. A+, Net+ and Security+. Once I got that under my belt I'll start looking for an entry level position while still working at night at a club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas