Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Then again, my car costs $57 a year in Florida and we have no state income tax. I wonder where the rest of their money comes from?
Florida has over 7x the number of people, so they're almost certainly getting a lot more via property tax (which, considering how much beach/lake front property there is there, is probably much higher on average), plus they have 7x as many people paying the registration fees on their cars, etc. I don't know how much money the tourism industry there brings in for the state, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than Nevada.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I have CA plates on my cars and bikes and dont intend on changing over anytime soon. Sorry NV just a PITA.
I hope you get cited for every single one of them, and I hope those tickets are very, very expensive.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Gives the Constables something to do.....GO FOR IT.....

Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
For the vast majority an income tax in Nevada would be a mere pittance in cost. The state's cost structure is low enough and the existing gaming and sales tax bring in enough so that a 1-2% rate would be sufficient. I totally get the worries that a new tax would induce more government spending, but at the end of the day most people's fears about taxes are overblown and end up blocking any rational discussion of a more efficient manner in which to generate tax revenue.
The problem the introduction of even a 1-2% income tax is that it inevitably would be raised at some point. Look at CA - it wasn't all that long ago that the tax rate was in the 4-5% range. Now it's 9.55% for most, and goes as high as 10.55%. Same thing probably would be tried here during troubled economic times, as the government-fed deadbeats demand that their entitlement programs and/or jobs be saved while the rest of the state is in total misery. It's best to not let the camel get it's nose under the tent.

The state needs money to function, but I'm not in favor of any new revenue streams. If I get low on cash, I can't simply demand a raise from my employer. The state needs to live within the current structure and it's means, just like the rest of us.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I totally get the worries that a new tax would induce more government spending, but at the end of the day most people's fears about taxes are overblown and end up blocking any rational discussion of a more efficient manner in which to generate tax revenue.
They've seen all the other undesirable elements that Californians have brought with them to Nevada, and fear that we're going to bring our 10.3% marginal income tax rate with us.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 PM

990 posts, read 1,654,521 times
Quote:
I have CA plates on my cars and bikes and dont intend on changing over anytime soon. Sorry NV just a PITA.
Why would you want to insist on paying more for your registrations than you need to spend?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Why would you want to insist on paying more for your registrations than you need to spend?
I'm not. The cars and motorcycles have current CA registration expiring in 2010. Before they expire I will register them in NV.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM

151 posts, read 700,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
California registration fees are cheaper than Nevada, in fact just about all states are cheaper than Nevada.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:50 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Hope you are a gambling man! $1000 fine!!! Fix that burned out headlight!
I am moving to Nevada. What are the Registration Requirements?

New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license within 30 days. You must register your vehicles at the same time or within 60 days, whichever is sooner. The fine for failing to register your vehicle is $1,000. A resident is any person, other than an active-duty military member or their spouses/dependents, who accepts employment or establishes their primary residence here.

If you have vehicles, you must obtain liability insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier to comply with our Insurance Verification Program. Out-of-state insurance is not accepted. If your insurance is with a large, national company, you must notify the company that you have moved to Nevada. If you do not obtain Nevada insurance, your registration may be suspended and you will be subject to a $250 reinstatement fee.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,727 times
I spend half my time in Texas and half the time here. I have no employment here, what am I supposed to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: