Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
WOW!!! So many excited people about the loss of another of your rights ( Your right to drive un-incombered , un-restricted) e ,keep up the good work . But first check out "Right to Drive, Justice Tolman , Washington State. its an eye opener. then look and see where "your"$$$$ from the registering of private vehicles really goes. DMV only has authority to regulate " Commercial vehicles. Fuel tax goes to road repairs.
Just out or curiosity, which authority bestowed upon me the right to drive unencumbered and unrestricted? Did I miss it somewhere in the Bill of Rights?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:16 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii View Post
How do they do that? Do they look for an out of state plate vehicles and give them ticket???
the can cruise employee parking lots looking for out of state plates....they can drive down the street in predominately residential areas looking for someone heading off to work....lots of ways

Old 02-10-2010, 07:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
First in the bill of Rights should be....You have the right to obey the law.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Out-of-state plates + Expired tags = Thief

Old 02-10-2010, 08:23 PM

91 posts, read 270,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
First in the bill of Rights should be....You have the right to obey the law.
Funny, your idea is the main predicated idea of English law in the 1700s...which is one of the main reasons the Pilgrims came here in the first place.
Anyone who is a fan of the law taxing and intimidating people without question or opposition, by all means please move to China or Cuba.

Laws and rules in this country are supposed to be set up to ENHANCE our lives, while still providing us with the many freedoms we have(and more we should). One of those key freedoms is the right to Question laws, taxes, and rules we feel are unjust. What the constable's office does(as well as every D-bag cop in this town giving out a million traffic tickets but not actually solving or preventing crime) is ONLY for tax revenue and should not be used to paint them as heroes(they aren't) or people who don't pay as evil thieving villains(most aren't); the world and the people in it simply don't live in a black or white world and the issue is more complex. While we can all agree more money to be collected and spent for us is a good thing, I question the validity of a system that has entire departments set up to do patrols, have neighbors ratting each other out, and turn the already ridiculous DMV and insurance systems into an even larger clusterf*ck than it already is.

I think a bigger issue is that there should be a cap on car insurance premiums, and with less being spent on that ridiculous industry, maybe more people could afford to be registered/insured... Not gonna lie, paying $260/month insurance for a car worth 10k is getting to me!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlife View Post
I think a bigger issue is that there should be a cap on car insurance premiums, and with less being spent on that ridiculous industry, maybe more people could afford to be registered/insured... Not gonna lie, paying $260/month insurance for a car worth 10k is getting to me!
If you want to drive an expensive car you are going to have to pay more, so do not complain about it. My car is worth about $500 and I pay $38 a month for basic liability. You most likely also have a terrible driving record which is also your own fault.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowlife View Post
Laws and rules in this country are supposed to be set up to ENHANCE our lives, while still providing us with the many freedoms we have(and more we should). One of those key freedoms is the right to Question laws, taxes, and rules we feel are unjust. What the constable's office does(as well as every D-bag cop in this town giving out a million traffic tickets but not actually solving or preventing crime) is ONLY for tax revenue and should not be used to paint them as heroes(they aren't) or people who don't pay as evil thieving villains(most aren't); the world and the people in it simply don't live in a black or white world and the issue is more complex. While we can all agree more money to be collected and spent for us is a good thing, I question the validity of a system that has entire departments set up to do patrols, have neighbors ratting each other out, and turn the already ridiculous DMV and insurance systems into an even larger clusterf*ck than it already is.
What gives the right for the IRS garnish your wages for non-compliance? Same thing for state tax collection agencies?

I'm as anti-tax as they come, but I believe in legal means to lower my burden. I have no sympathy for tax cheats who get caught. Or in this case, those who don't register their vehicles. If you don't like the law, start a campaign to change it. In the mean time, not paying simply because you don't like it is just flat wrong - and I hope you get caught.

I have lived in many states where DMV fees were low but you paid big time in other ways. We are blessed here in NV - higher DMV fees is a small price to pay for no state income tax.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
mod cut: quote removed/orphaned

This is why when I move, one of the first things I will have done is register my car. Im not thrilled about paying $195 to register it (BTW in Florida I paid $57 and we have no state income tax) or that my insurance will go up

But I'd rather pay through the nose for registration and insurance then break the law and risk getting caught and facing MASSIVE fines I won't be able to pay.

Because knowing my luck, I'll be driving down Summerlin Parkway one day and get pulled over for having out of state plates and an unregistered vehicle (I will most likely have been in LV for 31 days by then, 1 day over the legal time limit to register my car)

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-11-2010 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 12:11 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Just out or curiosity, which authority bestowed upon me the right to drive unencumbered and unrestricted? Did I miss it somewhere in the Bill of Rights?
Just go to the site I stated and see and read for your self , as i said it is an eye opener!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Just go to the site I stated and see and read for your self , as i said it is an eye opener!
As far as I can tell you never referenced a specific site. You told us to check out something authored by a deceased state supreme court Justice. I haven't been able to locate any such document. When I Google the phrase, I get linked to websites that read similarly to those that claim the IRS has no legal right to collect income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: