Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 PM

30 posts, read 131,719 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I recently bought a single family house in Las Vegas and would like to rent out as a rental property.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Since it has back yard (not very big)and the previous owner didn't do anything on the yard-currently just soil kind of like as it is status when 1st time bought from the builder.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, the question here is: Do lot of tenants care about the backyard if it's unfinished (just like all soil)?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]How much will cost if just finish the back yard with Pebble or cement or lawn when the yard size is around 1500sqt?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks in advanced to share your experience or advice.[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
its tiny.. just have star nursery deliver 6 or 7 tons of desert stone... go on craigslist. hire some help.. put a tree or 2 in.. couple hundred bucks.. if not, you may want to check with your hoa, mine requires a finished backyard

Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
its tiny.. just have star nursery deliver 6 or 7 tons of desert stone... go on craigslist. hire some help.. put a tree or 2 in.. couple hundred bucks.. if not, you may want to check with your hoa, mine requires a finished backyard
airics,

What's the formula you use to estimate how much stone you need? TIA

Old 02-18-2010, 12:27 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
I don't think tenants care much, this is a situation where either you have a very nice backyard and it helps sell them on the place or you just have nothing of value. Some tenants don't want to be bothered with mowing or grooming a backyard and others won't want to spend the $30-40/month watering it can cost in summer.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
airics,

What's the formula you use to estimate how much stone you need? TIA
Depends how thick you're putting it down, and what size stone you're using. Generally, you'd want around a 3" thick layer of stone at a minimum, which would get you about 100 square feet of coverage from a cubic yard of material. Given that most stone weighs anywhere from 2,500-3,000 lbs per cubic yard, you'll get somewhere between 65 and 80 sf of coverage per ton. The guys at the stone yard will be able to give you more specifics regarding the particular stone blends they sell, but this will get you in the ballpark.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
This is going to be someone's home so having a back yard to go outside and have a family or friend get together would be nice. Most likely the back yard wasn't done because a would be investor bought it and rented it out and didn't want to put any money in it. If you have a home with out some kind of back yard you will most likely not attract certain renters, families like back yards,retired folks like to go outside and enjoy our nice weather, single people may not care however they like to entertain. renters that are either to busy or move allot may not care.
keep that in mind in whatever decision you make.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The guys at the stone yard will be able to give you more specifics regarding the particular stone blends they sell, but this will get you in the ballpark.
Thanks. Airics mentioned Star Nursery. Are there other places where I might get a better deal or are they pretty much the same?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:49 PM

30 posts, read 131,719 times
[SIZE=3]Many thanks to everyone’s comment and seems it’s better to finish the backyard instead of an empty one with soil only. I am going to plan for it[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Can anybody share your experience on: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1. What is the most cost-less way to finish the backyard? Some cement mixed with desert stone and a little bit lawn or tree in the corner? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2. I have no idea on how much this will probably cost. For example, how many ton needed for a 1500sqt yard and how much each ton is cost? [/SIZE]

Thanks in advanced

Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
I would simply observe that it doubles or triples the size of the eligible renter populaion. If you don't finish it lower the price 100 to compensate.

Be careful though. That technique may attract exactly the wrong client.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Thanks. Airics mentioned Star Nursery. Are there other places where I might get a better deal or are they pretty much the same?
i just went through this.. i compared rainbow rock vs. star nursery... prices of stone are similar (rainbow rock has a bit better selection) but the delivery charge was MUCH higher at rainbow rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: