Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 11:07 AM

146 posts, read 529,373 times

Advertisements

Here is what I've discovered:

In March 2011, Congressman Heck and Heller co-sponsored a House Bill known as H.R. 856 - The Sloan Hills Withdrawal Act. This act would withdraw the federal land for these operations. Senator Harry Reid also introduced legislation on the Senate side as well.

At this time, the House bill is in committee - specifically the subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources. My research on their activity shows that no hearings have been scheduled since the bill was introduced. The subcommittee website is here - House Committee on Natural Resources

The Senate bill (S. 427) was originally introduced by Senators Reid and Ensign the same day as the House bill. On 5/10/11, now-Senator Heller reintroduced the bill. It too is currently in committee, specifically the subcommittee on Public Lands and Forest. A hearing was held for this bill 5/18/11. I've included the link of the hearing here - http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...id=f:67289.pdf

In a nutshell, the BLM during their testimony deferred taking a position until an environmental impact statement was completed (page 28). Further down, the BLM's prepared remarks go into more detail as to the actions they are taking. Most notably, the process has been going on since 2004, and they are just now finalizing their report for public comment. This public comment period would take additional time, since some 800 individuals have already voiced opposition to this.

Unless Congress decides to handle the withdrawl through legislation directly and not wait for the Environmental Impact Statement, all we can do is wait for that statement to come out and the public comment period to begin. I would urge all homeowners to comment during this period, since this could help the BLM in preparing future testimony for these bills.

Since there is such a high chance that homes could be built during 30 year period those pits would be open, it is highly unlikely that the BLM would allow this to occur if it adversely affects citizens and the environment.

As of right now though, nothing is going to happen unless the BLM environmental statement shows no problems with the limestone pits.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,943 times
Thanks for that analysis. I would just add that the BLM is going to hold public hearings here on the matter Nov 1 thru 3 and that anyone interested might want to attend to voice their opinion about this matter.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:59 PM

@bayview

Thanks for the update on the meetings. I found an online link to let people know where these public meetings will be held:

Sloan Hills Competitive Mineral Materials Sales EIS

Please make it out if you can to be educated on this!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 PM

18 posts, read 46,611 times
Update on the stadium plan:

Henderson stadium plan clears first hurdle

A familiar plan to build a more than $1 billion sports complex -- one that could be home to professional football, baseball, soccer and basketball teams -- cleared its first hurdle in Henderson Tuesday night when the City Council amended its zoning, land use and streets and highways master plans to facilitate infrastructure for the project.
But the deal with Austin, Texas, developer Chris Milam, principal of International Development Management, is far from done despite his stated goal to break ground next summer and open two of the four venues about one year later.
City Councilwoman Kathleen Vermillion on Wednesday said she voted for the project because in theory it is attractive for a city with the stated goal of becoming the nation's premier community. But she isn't convinced the group that appeared before the council Tuesday night can pull it off.
Last month, for example, project representative Lee Haney told the City Council the Las Vegas National Sports Center would create 10,000 jobs. On Tuesday night, Haney said it would create 4,000 jobs without offering an explanation to the 60 percent reduction.
"What happened to those 6,000 jobs?" said Vermillion. "If the scope has changed that would explain the discrepancy, but the scope didn't change."
And the scope is massive. The project, situated near the M Resort east of Las Vegas Boulevard, would be built on 485 acres of land that's now owned by the federal Bureau of Land Management.
Phase 1 calls for a 17,500-seat arena for an as yet unidentified National Basketball Association franchise and "190" other events, according to Haney.
Phase 2, Haney said, is a 25,000-seat stadium to house a Major League Soccer team -- also unidentified -- 12 tennis courts capable of hosting professional tournaments, and 14 soccer practice fields.
Phases 3 and 4 involve a baseball park and 63,000-seat football stadium.
Plans also call for bars, restaurants and 11,000 parking spaces.
"I want to see the project happen regardless of the developer," said Vermillion. "The city of Henderson is committed to the project, but not necessarily this one."
Vermillion, formerly known as Kathleen Boutin, said her primary concern is ensuring the financial risks the city would face are clearly spelled out should the project move forward.
She also has concerns over the timeline. The master project agreement approved Tuesday gives Milam three years to finish the complex, but financing it would require state lawmakers to pass a bill that would allow the developer to add a 12 percent to 16 percent facility fee. The fee would be added to ticket and food and beverage prices.
The Nevada Legislature earlier this year declined to pass the bill for Milam -- or for any arena project -- and lawmakers are not scheduled to meet again until 2013. "The timeline is screwy," said Vermillion. "I'm real interested in the legislative initiative."
Dennis Porter, who is handling the city's side of the project, told the City Council on Tuesday that getting the Legislature and Gov. Brian Sandoval's approval wouldn't be a problem but did not elaborate. Porter, formerly the city's director of utility services, did say residents would not be saddled with a tax increase to help fund the project. He also said, however, that bonding studies would be conducted in January.
Mayor Andy Hafen said the city needed plenty of time to review documents and requested Milam provide them before the BLM land sale closes. Once that happens, he said, the city would not be allowed to back out. Attempts to contact Milam and Haney for comment were unsuccessful.
Vermillion's immediate concern is the unexplained discrepancy in the number of jobs the project would create. "If we're not getting accurate information now," she said, "it is critical we make sure we get accurate information going forward."
Milam turned his sights on Henderson after striking out three times on proposals to build a similar project -- one near downtown Las Vegas and two near the Strip.
The Clark County Commission and Las Vegas City Council were not nearly as bullish on the project as the Henderson City Council seems to be. Both entities have rejected the idea. No professional leagues have publicly committed to bring a team to Southern Nevada.
The only components of the stadium project that the City Council rejected were Milam's plan to provide massage and reflexology outlets he proposed for a retail area set aside for taverns and restaurants and a landing pad to accommodate four helicopters. The City Council did not think the parlors were an appropriate use for the project.
And City Councilwoman Debra March said helicopters could land at the nearby Henderson Executive Airport. She also suggested the developer provide a place for people to lock up their bicycles, covered parking for tailgaters and hookups for people in recreational vehicles.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info @offset!

... I've been told that the closing arguments for South Edge will be heard on the 26th. I'll have more info on the BK proceedings and possibly final judgement then.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM

23 posts, read 57,368 times
Could a sports arena have a negative impact on those who live in inspirada and Anthem Highlands?

I am considering a home in Anthem Highlands, however, I dont want to be annoyed extreme traffic, loud noises coming from the stadium, and the area becoming overcrowded.

I support having a sports arena in las Vegas, i just dont know if I'd enjoy living two miles east of one?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Nimby?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 AM

18 posts, read 46,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalRon View Post
Could a sports arena have a negative impact on those who live in inspirada and Anthem Highlands?

I am considering a home in Anthem Highlands, however, I dont want to be annoyed extreme traffic, loud noises coming from the stadium, and the area becoming overcrowded.

I support having a sports arena in las Vegas, i just dont know if I'd enjoy living two miles east of one?

The research I've done, which includes the new Texas stadium and the sports complex in Glendale, AZ showed that during construction home values were depressed by 5% to 10% but that once construction ended and the arenas opened up, home values went back up and increased by 5% to 15%. I'd say you never know but looking at the drawings of where this beast would be placed, I can't see an increase in traffic in and around Anthem Highlands affecting your area. The stadium complex looks to be about 4 to 4 1/2 miles west by a birds flight path of Anthem Highlands and from what Inspirada is today with a "proposed" Inspirada Stations Resort planned inbetween you and the complex. According to plans, the only access points to the complex would be off Democracy, Via Inspirada (Executive Airport), Burmuda, Gillespie and a bunch of new roads coming off I-15.
One of the above links takes you to a pdf file which shows all of the mapping. I don't think it would be that bad but I also don't think it will ever come to fruition. Call me a skeptic, lol.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 PM

23 posts, read 57,368 times
Thanks a lot Offset! That kind of information is exactly what I was looking for.

I feel better about moving to the area now.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 AM

I agree with @offset, you are going to have a lot of "buffer" between the proposed arena development and the Anthem Highlands area for sure. This isn't like arenas that are proposed in the middle of the city, which would definitely cause traffic concerns for those in the area. The revised transportation plan provided by the City of Henderson clearly was redone in an effort to provide several more points of access for residents.

Until more information is presented about the financing of this project, it still remains up in the air whether it will even occur. I, for one, believe that whoever puts a shovel in the ground first in this stadium war will be the only one building a stadium. My money is on the UNLV proposal at this time, but who knows.

In Inspirada news, I see about four more of the single story Michaelangelo's left to be built, unless contracts are signed and ground has yet to be broken. Many of the once-vacant Matise's are also very close to complete or already completed. My KB contact was pretty right on about a 2012 completion for Village 1!

I hope residents enjoyed the Halloween event over the weekend. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas