Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:22 AM

49 posts, read 123,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Just curious...is it possible that some parents don't do their own homework on LV's school system before moving there?

Quite possibly it is. We did our homework & knew what we were getting into but are still surprised and sickened by it. We are pulling our kids out of public school & putting them in private for the next year.

Also, to the poster who said that LV is not a city for children...I agree, however, look around at how many children are here. This city should stop using that as an excuse & do something to help better educate the ones that are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonevalley View Post
Ikea, Las Vegas needs Ikea!!
I had to haul all my Ikea furniture up from Phoenix. A city this size needs an Ikea. I know some are not fans of Ikea, but for a vacation property and the price, it works for me.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
In the late nineties, I remember that an Ikea was planned to be built in Henderson. It never materialized, but I see they are advertising on tv quite a bit lately.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medc11 View Post
[/b]

You have got to be kidding with that statement. I am a SAHM and extremely involved in my children's education. People that make comments like yours have never had their children educated elsewhere to see the difference. The curriculum is a joke here.

My 8th grader is reading books that he read in 5th grade. His "big project" for English was to make a flip book with a one paragraph summary for each chapter & then draw a picture for it!! His peers back in NY are writing 4 page persuasive essays. There is no history in 6th or 8th grade. Language is a 1 semester OPTION. My kids are given their tests ahead of time, given the answers in class & then "tested" on the exact same material with an option of re-taking it if the grade is low. It is a ridiculous joke.

Oh, and my daughter is in all advanced/accelerated classes, does barely any homework, breezes through her school day unchallenged and has straight A's. She's ranked #1 in her class. At home she was a middle of the road B student.

Even my kids laugh at how easy it is. My daughter is very concerned about not learning enough and wants outside tutors so that she will not fall behind her friends at home.

The reason that Nevada is ranked #50 in education has less to do with the level of parental involvement and more with the mixed up priorities of this state.
You claim you are involved, yet you rely on the state (and further the DOE) curriculum. How involved are you, really? Because you stay at home does not make you involved. Have you looked into homeschooling? CCSD has a program that would be perfect for someone that has all that time on their hands and is not happy with the school curriculum.

That said, you are correct in that my child has not (nor has he needed to as I am truly involved) been educated anywhere other than Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
Actually, I just learned last night that my ex-husband has relocated out of the state about 8mos ago. That's a HUGE plus for Las Vegas, not so much for TX. LOL

As for the level of education of my children; I am as involved as I can be. I work full-time and take on part-time gigs to keep our bills paid and provide for the kids as many opportunities as I can.

Walk in my shoes and then judge me. Most men (and some women) tell me all the time they don't know how I as a single parent do what I do. I will tell you how. Sheer determination.

Yes, involved parents do make a difference. But, have you not ever heard the saying that "It takes a village to raise a child." A village, a community, involved adults helping to nurture children, the future. Imagine that --- in Las Vegas.
I understand that life is hard as a single parent, but BS on the "it takes a village". It is nobody else's responsibility to raise your child (or children). The fact that you want a government entity to do so, IMO, speaks loudly about your core beliefs.

FWIW, I do applaud you for doing what you have to do. Just bear in mind that you are not the only one and the fact that you do accept your responsibilities does not make you special. When my son was born I worked 70+ hours a week and my wife also worked full time on a different shift. I averaged 3 hours of sleep a night (not straight through), worked 12 hours a day, and came home and cared for my infant son by myself most days. I don't wear it like some badge of honor because it was my duty.

Quote:
I'd also like to add that if you do not believe that the level of education here in LV is sub-par, then I question YOUR involvement as a parent in your child's education.
Of course you would as that would deflect the issue and take the heat off of you, wouldn't it?

So, for the record (and for those whose comprehension is not up to snuff) I never said that the CCSD was not sub-par. I simply said that if the child's education is sub-par then a lack of parental involvement was likely the cause. Still don't get it? Parental involvement, aka supplemental education. Wherever the school or district is dropping the ball, pick up the slack.

As far as my involvement in my child's education (or sport's, or fitness, or manners, or work ethic, or core beliefs and ideals, etc.) I assure you that you would be hard pressed to find someone that puts as much time and energy (my own, not expecting someone else's) into their child's life as I do. Regardless of my circumstances, I make time for him. The only reason I bring this up (or how I cared for him as an infant) is because I was called out on it. I say none of this to brag as frankly I could care less of what you or anyone thinks of me as a father, but a lack of credibility would take validity from my remarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
All what you said and then some. I'm not a stay at home mom, but I am as involved with my kids education and supplementing it at that!

My oldest daughter found college more challenging than she ever had in HS. My younger daughter now a freshman wants to be a doctor. She is a straight A student in Honors/AP classes. My son is A/B and doesn't even have to apply himself! I am constantly reviewing other educational materials to supplement their learning.

Apparently, "Daddy" needs some education on education.
Apparently you like to argue for arguments sake as this was my point the entire time (and has been ever since I started posting here regarding parental involvement and education in the valley). The only reason that a child's education would ever be below standards would be if parent's allowed it to be so, regardless of how a school district or state ranks in education. It's called personal responsibility (as opposed to nanny statism) and I am a huge proponent of it. Even if there was no school district as a government entity (and likewise do DoE) my child would be receiving the same level of education that he is currently (he is in 4th grade and currently reads at an 8th grade level as well as math at a 6th grade level).

FWIW, it sounds like you do a great job with your kids. I would definitely make sure that they are being challenged. I was a gifted student in a southern CA school district and even in advanced classes nothing was challenging. I got bored and thus got involved with other things that had a detrimental effect on said education.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post

FWIW, I do applaud you for doing what you have to do. Just bear in mind that you are not the only one and the fact that you do accept your responsibilities does not make you special. When my son was born I worked 70+ hours a week and my wife also worked full time on a different shift. I averaged 3 hours of sleep a night (not straight through), worked 12 hours a day, and came home and cared for my infant son by myself most days. I don't wear it like some badge of honor because it was my duty.
I sincerely commend you and your wife for that. You two are great parents and it shows.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I sincerely commend you and your wife for that. You two are great parents and it shows.
Thanks LVD. We all have to do what we have to as you are well aware. I know we have had our disagreements but I do have a great bit of respect for you as well. Keep your head up and keep plugging away, one foot in front of the other.

I do want to reiterate to both medc11 and sierramadre44 that I'm not necessarily trying to question their parenting skills or dedication. I simply am saying that it is up to parents, regardless of the location or circumstance, to make sure that their children are receiving the necessary food, shelter, education, discipline, guidance, and so on. It is not up to government entities and as personal responsibility is a huge hot button for me, to see others lay blame on a government institution for not being big enough or providing enough just irks me to no end.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM

49 posts, read 123,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Thanks LVD. We all have to do what we have to as you are well aware. I know we have had our disagreements but I do have a great bit of respect for you as well. Keep your head up and keep plugging away, one foot in front of the other.

I do want to reiterate to both medc11 and sierramadre44 that I'm not necessarily trying to question their parenting skills or dedication. I simply am saying that it is up to parents, regardless of the location or circumstance, to make sure that their children are receiving the necessary food, shelter, education, discipline, guidance, and so on. It is not up to government entities and as personal responsibility is a huge hot button for me, to see others lay blame on a government institution for not being big enough or providing enough just irks me to no end.

I am not blaming anyone, I am simply stating the obvious - that the education here is terrible and it is one of the things that if improved, would make Vegas better. I believe that was the original intent of this thread.

I do many, many things with my children to supp. their education & make up for where CCSD is lacking. And, BTW - just because I am a SAHM DOES NOT mean that I have "all this time on my hands". If you are as dedicated & devoted as you say you are, you would never make that kind of statement. It is an insulting, rude, ignorant & outdated thing to say.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
[/b]

I am not blaming anyone, I am simply stating the obvious - that the education here is terrible and it is one of the things that if improved, would make Vegas better. I believe that was the original intent of this thread.

I do many, many things with my children to supp. their education & make up for where CCSD is lacking. And, BTW - just because I am a SAHM DOES NOT mean that I have "all this time on my hands". If you are as dedicated & devoted as you say you are, you would never make that kind of statement. It is an insulting, rude, ignorant & outdated thing to say.
I will argue that point. CCSD is a large southwestern school district. Among large school districs it does OK. Better than say NYC or LA.

On balance it does not compare well to the much smaller US average school system.

But be careful. If you loped off the top 20 per cent of CCSD you would have a very nice and very effective school district. If you loped off the bottom 20% you would have as dysfunctional a school district as exists in the US.

End message? Nothing wrong with CCSD if you keep your choices to the top 20%. No way anybody in their right mind should send their children to the bottom 20%. In between use some judgement.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:13 PM

232 posts, read 676,569 times
I agree with the posters who said we need Ikea! I'm not much into their furniture, but I like a lot of their shelving units, which would come in quite handy. I bought a plastic bag holder many years ago in CA, and it is by far my favorite Ikea purchase. It's the little things in life!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
[/b]

I don't see what my level of dedication to my family has to do with what I would or would not say to you, and it's no more rude than implying that I am not involved in my child's education because I don't agree with you. FWIW, I guarantee that you have MUCH more free time than I do. I did not mean it as a disparaging remark, and I apologize if it came off that way.

Back to the subject at hand, olecapt hit the nail on the head. It's a very large school district and as such it does comparatively well. Trying to compare it to a smaller district that lacks the distinct challenges that a urban populace of nearly 2 million does is apples to oranges. Also realize that the district does poorly in many areas due to such factors as many parents and children that don't give a rat's ass like a previous poster mentioned. The rankings themselves are not definitive in what type of education a school district can provide for a willing and able child and parent. As such, in my opinion, the rankings prove nothing and are no more than a rationalization to bash another aspect of this city.

I get that this city isn't for you. I don't have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is your implication that because it doesn't meet YOUR standards in specific areas (which are actually quite sufficient) the city is not up to snuff. Perhaps if you qualified things with certain phrases like "in my opinion" (see above) or "I personally feel" than the criticisms may be taken a little better. As it stands, you state your opinion as fact and that will always result in confrontation from those that believe differently.

That said, I do commend you on being a parent to your child. All internet debate aside, I believe we can agree that the most important thing in life is to raise our children to the best of our ability as we see fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas