Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times

Advertisements

This article in the local news paper the RJ covers the extent the universities are going to have to take to be able to work with the budget they have been given. Right now it doesn't matter if you have a degree or not people of all walks of life are losing their jobs in and around Las Vegas:
Proposed budget cuts would eliminate 315 jobs, 33 degree programs at school
To meet proposed budget cuts, UNLV would eliminate 33 degree programs with more than 2,000 students in them, killing 315 jobs, UNLV President Neal Smatresk told school employees and students Tuesday.

And in case you haven't heard the Sahara is closing and there will be 1000 employees to be laid off, MGM claims they will help some of those employees to find jobs as well. Workers react to closing of Sahara

I don't bring this up to be a downer but to show that if a person intends on moving to Vegas to look for a job it's going to be a hard road. We are number 1 in unemployment, foreclosures,that should be enough for anyone thinking of moving here to find a job to think about it twice before they come. This is not the time to just pick up stakes and move. A person moving any where right now is taking on a financial risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 07:55 PM

20 posts, read 8,562 times
Hi everyone, was doing a search for government jobs in Nevada and saw this old thread so I thought I post here.

Anyone with experience working with NDOT or DPS of Nevada? I often check from time to time and noticed that these two agencies often hire. I'm guessing it's revolving door like most government agencies.

Strange question coming from someone living in East Coast but for some time I've considered moving to Nevada due to my aging mother who's retired. She has plans to move out of Nevada but I don't think her economic situation is allowing her to move and she never gives me the whole truth to her living situation.

I've visited Nevada several times and familiar with Las Vegas and Pahrump area. I don't mind the slow pace and desert life. I find it to be a good change if the opportunity is there to do so.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:50 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Federal jobs are listed at this site: https://www.usajobs.gov
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:23 PM

783 posts, read 839,527 times
I have past experience working for the State of Nevada, just not at those particular agencies.

My experience was in Northern Nevada.

As far as I know NDOT has a good reputation, Public Safety depends on the division. Overall, the State can be a very good career. The State of Nevada government has its own retirement system and does not collect Social Security, this can effect your Social Security benefits if you do not have enough quarters. Decent health insurance.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:05 PM

20 posts, read 8,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
I have past experience working for the State of Nevada, just not at those particular agencies.

My experience was in Northern Nevada.

As far as I know NDOT has a good reputation, Public Safety depends on the division. Overall, the State can be a very good career. The State of Nevada government has its own retirement system and does not collect Social Security, this can effect your Social Security benefits if you do not have enough quarters. Decent health insurance.

Thank you. Good information to know. I assumed Social Security is collected no matter what state you are in so thats a revelation for me.

Well I'm from NY and work here all my life did well once I got into union construction (10 years) and now working for city government. NDOT would be in line with m construction experience. So far most reviews Ive read on sites like Indeed has been somewhat positive. So I continue to search to learn more about construction and government jobs opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas