Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
At the end, I think, the other poster was right saying that you're confused.
After the latest, maybe "obsessively argumentative" would be more appropriate.
When somebody asks a simple question, all they require is a simple answer or direction to an official site which can provide them with same, not a confusing litany of, "but if's". It's like me asking for directions to the nearest bakery. Give me the directions. I don't need to know that I should watch out while crossing the road so I don't get knocked down by a 'bus. Nor do I need directions to the next bakery in town on the off chance that the owner of the bakery I'm headed for might have had a flat tire en route to work which could delay the opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
After the latest, maybe "obsessively argumentative" would be more appropriate.
When somebody asks a simple question, all they require is a simple answer or direction to an official site which can provide them with same, not a confusing litany of, "but if's". It's like me asking for directions to the nearest bakery. Give me the directions. I don't need to know that I should watch out while crossing the road so I don't get knocked down by a 'bus. Nor do I need directions to the next bakery in town on the off chance that the owner of the bakery I'm headed for might have had a flat tire en route to work which could delay the opening.
In short, according to you, **** and listen to me only.

Got it.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
In short, according to you, **** and listen to me only.

Got it.
Not at all. I have no need to resort to expletives in order to make a point. I simply don't see the point of muddying waters where simple questions are concerned.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
I want to visit to Canada. What do I need???

My cousin from Fort MC Murray invited me for her wedding on June. I'm planning to stay there for a week. My problem is, my passport from my country is expired. But I'm a permanent resident here in the United states. I'm a green card holder. I don't want to renew my passport since i am planning to apply for American citizenship this coming August, 2012. My question is, Can I still go to Canada using my green card? Thanks!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM

24,572 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinaysamerica View Post

My cousin from Fort MC Murray invited me for her wedding on June. I'm planning to stay there for a week. My problem is, my passport from my country is expired. But I'm a permanent resident here in the United states. I'm a green card holder. I don't want to renew my passport since i am planning to apply for American citizenship this coming August, 2012. My question is, Can I still go to Canada using my green card? Thanks!
Your Green Card identifies your immigration status in the US. It is not a passport replacement.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Quote:

If you cross by land, yes, your green card may be all you need.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,994 times
am visiting new york from guyana,can i drive over to canada for a day or two..?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelstone1973 View Post
am visiting new york from guyana,can i drive over to canada for a day or two..?
If you're a citizen of Guyana you need a visitor's visa to go to Canada. The information you need is right here:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...aspx?menu_id=2

Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
To the OP: make sure you cross a border that has immigration facilities, i.e. room for secondary inspection. Make it clear to the border people that you are only visiting for less than 6 months. Be prepared with the address and phone number of your girlfriend. If you plan on leaving any gifts or expensive products like electronics, a car, or lots of new clothes, be prepared to state the estimated value of these items and pay duties on these of up to 20%. Canada is much more anal than the U.S. about enforcing these rules because taxes tend to be higher in Canada than in the U.S.. Make it clear that you have enough money either through a bank statement or your girlfriend offering to pay for everything. They want to make sure you won't try to get a job in Canada, which is illegal for Americans. If you want to have permanent residency in Canada, apply for that and get it before trying to move to Canada, even if it's only for a year or two. If you have lived with your gf for at least a year, that shouldn't be a problem as long as she can prove that she has enough money to support you if things don't work out.

Quote:

I think you need proof of citizenship to Canada, however this doesn't have to be a passport. Now coming back to the U.S. you might get grief if you don't have a passport.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
I have a U.S. permanent resident card (no expiration date, came to the U.S. since I was three) and want to travel to Vancouver by car. What would I need to show proof besides my card? I never traveled outside the U.S. before and it would be my first vacation road trip. I never had a visa or passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration