Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
It will be the silicon valley California, probably San Jose or Campbell or Santa Clara, maybe another near by.

Whats the terminology for this limit, is it "insurance limit"? This is quiet stupid, capping the amount they pay. I want to find something that doesnt have this limit, or at least at as low as 10k, but as high as the most expensive emergency surgery.

I looked up these, but they dont seem to mention these limits:

Blue shield of california
https://www.blueshieldca.com/
(888) 568-3560 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST
plan name: Shield Savings Plan 3500, $116/mo, 0%coinsurance, $3500deductible
plan name: Essential Plan 1750, $265/mo, 0%coinsurance, $1750deductible

Kaiser Permanente of california
https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/
1-800-245-3181
plan name: Deductible 0/1500 with HSA, $249/mo, 0%coinsurance, $1500deductible

Found them on the previously mentioned (by penguin_ie) website :
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/ifp/all-plans (broken link)
As I mentioned earlier, the NHS starts to look pretty good once you start researching what's available in the US. What you perceive as "stupid" is the norm here and to obtain the amount of coverage you're fantasizing about will entail that you get a second full time job in order to pay the premiums. Nor will you find that anything offered by an employer will come close to matching your wants.

As far as insurance caps are concerned, nobody here can tell you what the companies you're looking at are providing. You have all their information so call them or email them directly. I'm sure you can't be expecting that someone here is going to do that for you. As mentioned by another poster, a telephone calling card is all you need if you want to speak with the agents directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What you perceive as "stupid" is the norm here and to obtain the amount of coverage you're fantasizing about ...
You are saying that $10k cap on emergency surgical procedures is the norm? Some people suggested otherwise, but I am not sure.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
You are saying that $10k cap on emergency surgical procedures is the norm? Some people suggested otherwise, but I am not sure.
I didn't say that. What I'm saying is that whatever cap there is depends on what premiums you're wiling and able to pay and what you're looking for is likely to be realistically way beyond your means. Get in touch with some of these companies and talk to them directly because I doubt that anyone here can tell you what you want to know. Based on what you can afford to pay in premiums the insurance carriers themselves will be able to suggest a package and then you can compare and decide.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:35 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I didn't say that. What I'm saying is that whatever cap there is depends on what premiums you're wiling and able to pay and what you're looking for is likely to be realistically way beyond your means. Get in touch with some of these companies and talk to them directly because I doubt that anyone here can tell you what you want to know. Based on what you can afford to pay in premiums the insurance carriers themselves will be able to suggest a package and then you can compare and decide.
You don't need a telephone calling card---just use email and the web to shop and compare. But, OP, how long do you plan to stay? Try a travel agent, they oftentimes have suggestions for medical insurance for travelers. And check out American Express----the Gold Card reimburses you, I think the Platinmun card pays the expenses for you. At leas that was our understanding when we went to Russia---both had air evacuee benefits. No way was i getting sick and staying in Russia when their own citizens run as far as they can from their health care system! But you won't have to worry about that!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
But, OP, how long do you plan to stay?
He's been successful in obtaining a spot in the immigration lottery so is emigrating to the US not coming on a vacation. See his first post.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Criticising Russian Healthcare do not answer the question that how ineffective and horribly expensive American healthcare system is. Do you have any idea how many americans travel to countries like India for surgeries. and travel agents/platinum card cover nothing for a new immigrant. most hospitals in US do not recognise foreign bought insurances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You don't need a telephone calling card---just use email and the web to shop and compare. But, OP, how long do you plan to stay? Try a travel agent, they oftentimes have suggestions for medical insurance for travelers. And check out American Express----the Gold Card reimburses you, I think the Platinmun card pays the expenses for you. At leas that was our understanding when we went to Russia---both had air evacuee benefits. No way was i getting sick and staying in Russia when their own citizens run as far as they can from their health care system! But you won't have to worry about that!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,283 times
If I were the OP I would start calling around and ask questions. Each company have a lot of different plans and I think it would be hard to find the right one and get all your questions answered online. It really isn't that expensive to call overseas at all. It used to be but prices have gone down significantly. I get calls from Sweden all the time and it's very cheap. I pay 8 cents/minute to call there. I'm sure you can get a phone card if your prepaid phone won't let you call. Or borrow someone's landline.
I think calling an independent agent in California is a good idea too. Just call the agent and tell him exactly what you're looking to get and how much you can spend and he can suggest a few plans for you. An insurance company could suggest a few plans for you too but an independent agent can choose between several companies.

What you want is "catastrophic health insurance". Those are plans that only pay major things. They may pay some minor things too but the deductible is high for those things. Here is some info about it: TLC Family "How Catastrophic Insurance Works"
I don't know if catastrophic insurance is available on a short term basis but I don't see why not. You can find out more by Googling it.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
How did you get a green card on the diversity lottery? People from the UK don't qualify for it.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times
"People from the UK don't qualify for it."
-You are the 10000000000th person complaining about it. stop it! Obviously I am not a UK citizen. There are citizens from ALL countries living in the UK, its very diverse.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
"People from the UK don't qualify for it."
-You are the 10000000000th person complaining about it. stop it! Obviously I am not a UK citizen. There are citizens from ALL countries living in the UK, its very diverse.
Cool your jets. One person questioned it and nobody "complained" about it. If you're so quick to take offense you may not enjoy settling into any new country, health insurance or no health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration