Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,019 times

Advertisements

immigration help. California

I don’t know what to do?
this is towards my dad/grandfather something that was never taken care of
its causing a problem now. I’m looking around for advice from different forums or just people in general that might have been thru or know what steps would be best to go about any way of citizenship or green card

I was adopted by my grand parents but I was born in the united states and so was my grandmother mother and real dad. Most of the paper work has my grandmother on it for obvious reasons.
The problem is with my grandfather he is a Canadian illegally living in the united states for many years 40 years. This is long before I was born. My grand parents where married in las Vegas we are talking 30 or more years ago with that Another problem my grandmother remarried to my current grandfather so he isn’t blood even thou I was raised by him and call him dad my whole life Before he got married to my grandmother he was deported twice in 1940s also he has a social security card I guess back in the day they were not so hard to get.
I read that there is a five or ten year wait to apply for citizenship after deportation but I know it’s been way past that point.

3 Years ago we went down to the social security office to see if he was able to get the benefits since he payed into it for all the years of work. They said everything is a go once it gets a green card or becomes a citizen he has no criminal record but everything took a turn for the worse when my grandmother passed away in august this year. Wasn’t able to get the death benefits but , I read that he has 2 years to partition for citizenship after death since he was married to a us citizen. I just don’t know what loop holes or areas I need to go down to try to get just a green card. And he can’t go back to Canada hes over 85 that would be a death sentence. This all came to light for me 4 years ago a dark secret that I hope I can fix

thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,775,163 times
Sorry for your loss.

Couple of questions:
- Did your grandmother ever petition for your grandfather when she was alive? If so, how far did that petition get before she died
- Are you legally the son of your grandfather though adoption?
- Are you living in Canada or the USA?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 AM

my grandmother never did anything. he was never petitioned by her.
there are some papers with my grandfather name on it for my adoption but i dont know how far can that be used
we are in the usa thanks for the reply

Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Canada is a death sentence????

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 AM

if your deported with no where or no one to go back to? and your over 85

Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,775,163 times
If you are legally the son of your grandfather, you can petition for him as a parent. If he came here legally and can prove this, and never "snuck over the border" later to visit Canada, he may be able to adjust status. I say may because the law changed several times over the many years your grandfather has been here, so there may be stumbling blocks from years ago that affect him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration