Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 18,421 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

greencard through employement/sponsorship:

spoken to many lawyers I basically always got the information that depending on your education you fall into different categories.

Bachelors Degree: EB3
Masters Degree: EB2

following that I also was told that if you belong to EB3 it will take 5-6 years.
EB2 can be done in 12 month.

Good... fact is... I know someone who got his greencard within 6 month and he never went to college or university and doesn't have eiter a bachelor or masters degree or any other specific degree.

Does someone know on what special law he could get his greencard within 6 month ?
He is working for a big world known company in the US - art and design.

Thank you very much for any little hint !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM

832 posts, read 1,418,835 times
There's no special section of law.

It's an alien of exceptional ability or a national interst waiver.

If I google your real name, what would pop up?

If the 1st 20 hits aren't about how wonderful you are, you've changed lives and make a corporation a lot of money, and a book has been written about you and you've won awards in your field... it's pretty well not going to happen.

Here's how you show exceptional ability/national interest waiver:

* Official academic record showing that you have a degree, diploma, certificate, or similar award from a college, university, school, or other institution of learning relating to your area of exceptional ability

* Letters documenting at least 10 years of full-time experience in your occupation

* A license to practice your profession or certification for your profession or occupation

*Evidence that you have commanded a salary or other remuneration for services that demonstrates your exceptional ability

* Membership in a professional association(s)

* Recognition for your achievements and significant contributions to your industry or field by your peers, government entities, professional or business organizations

* Other comparable evidence of eligibility is also acceptable

Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,135,571 times
EB2 is a specialty occupation, education isn't the deciding factor but goes a long way. In short, you have to be an expert in your field and your position has to be advertised to ensure there are no Americans who can do the job.

An EB2 in six months sounds like a bit of a stretch. The perm application comes first which takes a few months THEN you put in the GC app which can be done in six months with premium processing all the way and a little luck. ALL your paperwork better be in order and hope you don't get pulled for an audit along the way.

Of course, if you're from India forget it.

Could be your friend was a company transfer? I hear that's pretty quick.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM

sounds pretty good becuase I am in absolut expert in my field....
but what about this: what is a national interest waiver ?

thx a lot

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,432,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
EB2 is a specialty occupation, education isn't the deciding factor but goes a long way. In short, you have to be an expert in your field and your position has to be advertised to ensure there are no Americans who can do the job.

An EB2 in six months sounds like a bit of a stretch. The perm application comes first which takes a few months THEN you put in the GC app which can be done in six months with premium processing all the way and a little luck. ALL your paperwork better be in order and hope you don't get pulled for an audit along the way.

Of course, if you're from India forget it.

Could be your friend was a company transfer? I hear that's pretty quick.

I would agree with the company transfer. No educational requirements- just need to be a "manager" (project, process -any manager will do) but- EB1 status! No requirement for labor certification.

This is the only employment visa where you don't have to prove there isn't an American out there who meets the requirements and this is how many from India and China get GCs so quickly.
EB3 - I would agree , actually more like 7 years. My petition was approved Jan 2008 and at current rate I have around a year to go. Longer if you're from soem countries.
Husband is on H-1B and we are waiting for final part of labor cert -about 2 months to go and so far it;s taken 4 months, but attorneys aren't exactly sharp, plus had to repost job as his work address changed half way through. Hopefully no audit.
If you are a RN (or other shortage occupation) with a Masters then maybe 6 months may be possible for EB-2 as labor certification isn't required, but you do have to have all your nurse educaton verified by CGFNS , get a visa screen, pass the English proficiency exam' and then sit the US licensing exam if you trained outside the USA. That's about a year onto the process and costly too.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM

or u r a refugee and get all for free in a couple of weeks... with no education, no job, no money, no english, no future..... god bless the US.... lol;

Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM

983 posts, read 1,635,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brox View Post
Hi there,

greencard through employement/sponsorship:

spoken to many lawyers I basically always got the information that depending on your education you fall into different categories.

Bachelors Degree: EB3
Masters Degree: EB2

following that I also was told that if you belong to EB3 it will take 5-6 years.
EB2 can be done in 12 month.

Good... fact is... I know someone who got his greencard within 6 month and he never went to college or university and doesn't have eiter a bachelor or masters degree or any other specific degree.

Does someone know on what special law he could get his greencard within 6 month ?
He is working for a big world known company in the US - art and design.

Thank you very much for any little hint !
Most likely he got a national interest waiver. EB-1 or EB-2 NIW, reserve for people with exceptional abilities. I also know a fashion designer who got hers via that route. Professional sport players coming to the US of A and some scientists tend to use this one.

Some precisions about EB2 and EB3. The POSITION is the one that should require the masters degree. You can have a masters, but if the job you are taking only requires a bachelors, then it's EB3. Also, normally 5 years of relevant experience will count for EB2 if you don't have a masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration