Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times

Advertisements

Become an American Citizen and retain your Brit PP.

Don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Hey

I've been living in America for 7 years now. I received my 10 year green card around Feb 2009. I was married to an American.

I want to apply for American citizenship but I still want to keep my British citizenship. I keep hearing two different things about dual citizenship being allowed/not allowed.

Are there any Brits here that have gone through this process? How did it work out? How long did it take?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Fanx
Please help me help you. UK is part of EU correct? My wife is Czech, part of EU, and she just got her American Citizenship and kept her Czech, which should be similar to you, if UK is in EU, which I believe it is.

The Czech government allowed it because she married me a US citizen therefore, she didn't have to relinquish the Czech. It was quick 4 months, she had a green card for 8 years.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM

442 posts, read 800,247 times
You better Czech yourself before you wreck yourself.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Here's a recent story about this. John Taylor, the bassist for Duran Duran became an American citizen and held on to his British citizenship as well. I know he had been going through the process for years. Duran Duran

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 AM

Yeah, and Craig Ferguson still has his Scottish. It can be done. Why any country would allow it is beyond me, though.

I mean, if a young person has one country's birth citizenship and another via their parents, who cares, they shouldn't be made to choose but after becoming a naturalized citizen? Come on.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Yeah, and Craig Ferguson still has his Scottish. It can be done. Why any country would allow it is beyond me, though.

I mean, if a young person has one country's birth citizenship and another via their parents, who cares, they shouldn't be made to choose but after becoming a naturalized citizen? Come on.
Why?

I mean, it's predominantly a bureaucratic thing, has little or nothing to do with actual allegiance.

Example: I'm a Norwegian born citizen, I live in the US and I'm married to a US born citizen. I currently have a green card.

If we decided to move our family to Norway either for a few years or permanently for any reason (family comes to mind for instance) my Green card would be considered renounced and re-entry to the US later on would include a year+ long, expensive paper mill. By getting a US citizenship in addition tot he Norwegian one, I would sidestep that entire problem.

I don't really see why it would be an issue?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I mean, it's predominantly a bureaucratic thing, has little or nothing to do with actual allegiance.
Precisely.

I don't know, those citizen-of-the-world types are usually pretty annoying.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Precisely.

I don't know, those citizen-of-the-world types are usually pretty annoying.
Well again, if there were other ways to achieve the same result I would certainly be perfectly happy having only one citizenship.

That being said, why are we annoying?

It's a means to an end, I really don't see any issues with it.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is not allowed in the US. You will have to give up UK citizenship.

However, if you were an American citizen acquiring a UK citizenship, I heard you can get around.
You are wrooooong

Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 PM

154 posts, read 197,720 times
If you were born in the UK, you can never lose your citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration