Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM

257 posts, read 295,655 times

Advertisements

I know of a few [mail order] brides from Ukraine or Russia that changed their names upon immigrating to US. In these cases, they did not take on the US husband's last name, but did change an "i" in their name to "y". For instance, Irina is now Iryna. I thought that was odd.
It could be a coincidence, or perhaps a method of avoiding a match on a name search, or a code that they're now in US, or [I know, too many mystery movies...].
Anyone have any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 03:11 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Change the settings on your TV :>)

Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 PM

257 posts, read 295,655 times
This was a serious inquiry. I've seen the "i" changed to "y" on more than one occasion, in a first or last name. It seemed more than a coincidence - even if 3 is not statistically significant. If anyone has an insight, it would be appreciated..

Old 10-20-2013, 06:39 AM

442 posts, read 800,925 times
Crap, he knows.

To the mayl order mobyle!

Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM

832 posts, read 1,418,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
I know of a few [mail order] brides from Ukraine or Russia that changed their names upon immigrating to US. In these cases, they did not take on the US husband's last name, but did change an "i" in their name to "y". For instance, Irina is now Iryna. I thought that was odd.
It could be a coincidence, or perhaps a method of avoiding a match on a name search, or a code that they're now in US, or [I know, too many mystery movies...].
Anyone have any insight?
It's a translating issue. It's phonetically the same name, and whoever translated it thought that it would be better spelled with an American "i". People come to the US and have their documents corrected.

In their passport it's spelled with a Y, but on their birth certificate it's with an I. Depending which agency they are getting their US documents from, will usually determine how their name is spelled. The Department of State will recognize the spelling in their passport, but USCIS only recognizes their birth certificate translation.

It's very common and not at all shady.

Getting the US to recognize your true name can be a real headache for new immigrants from around the world because naming convention rules are unique to each country, then to each territory within that country, then religion in that territory in that country, and then clan in that religion in that territory in that country.

The Indian surname "Gill" is so common to Northern India that they don't even use it as a family name anymore. That's resulted in most Americans not even knowing that "Gill" is an Indian name. When really, it's the "family" name of something crazy like 20% or more of Punjabis. Same with Koreans, Vietnamese and all those countries that formed from one great leader upon which everyone is named after because they're the descendants.

That's part one.

Part two.

Ukrainian and Russian women don't usually take the married man's name. And it's not uncommon for the man to take the female's family name. It's not a big deal there like it is in the states.

Nothing shady about that either.

Here's another tid bit about Ukrainian and Russian women... their middle name is the female version of their father's first name even if they don't know it or use it.

Aleksandr = Alexandrovna = Alexis = Lexa

It's all the same.

For example, an German, who by all accounts is German, has Austrian ancestry from back in the day. Sounds simple enough to determine the correct spelling. But oddly enough, they come from that niblet that was Poland at one time, Ukrainian another time, Russian at one point, Romanian at another time and is now Austrian.

Each one of those country occupations will have an effect on their name. How it's spelled, who translates, what languages the translator is fluent in, the first language of the person who taught the translator their second language, and even the age of the translator.

Translating is an interesting topic...

But this is why a good one makes so much money.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,656 times
Arrow Immigration Name Change: Coincidence or Clandestine

Recently looked into my friend's former Mail Order Bride situation... and I believe
BraveHeart10 Hit the Nail on the Head; It AIN'T NO COINCIDENCE !!!

Although, MrsKay662000 has some good excuses for the occurrence.
My friend's bride went down to the Drivers License Bureau soon after arrival and Filed a Different name just before the Wedding without telling him.
As pointed out, she changed the 'y' and 'i' in the first name and somehow got an entirely different last name.

She staged a phony assault by smashing dishes, forcing him to grab her arms to restrain this activity,
just hard enough to leave an impression for the police to see upon a quick arrival. They hauled him off to jail.

In preparation for her exit, she had even graduated from an ID to obtaining a Driver's License in the
'Alternate Name' without his knowledge. In both cases, she used an address other than his and the one on
the marriage license.

As for 'Not taking the Husbands name', I think that relates to avoiding the need to ask a judge for
permission to do a name change, when she already has it covered and is under the radar with an unknown name.

Right now, feeling kinda stupid, not knowing what was on her passport. You see, she had free run of his
house while he was in jail, and managed to remove most all traces.

Any ideas on demonstrating or proving the Intent to Deceive or Defraud would be appreciated.
My friend should not have to be labeled a 'Criminal' for this pre-planned act.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:26 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
I've seen it on TV where a few men explained how they were scammed with similar things as you describe. Mail order bride claiming to be abused and therefore getting a green card under a program for people who are in the process to get a green card but being protected and not having to stay in the marriage and the men dealing with legal issues.

I guess not many have watched that program and fall for the internet scams and nice pictures.

I wonder why USCIS is allowing this. I guess they are smarter then many who came here legally and went through years of dealing with USCIS to do it legally without false claims.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,656 times
Yes.... after telling some people of this situation, another friend spoke up and said he had a vary similar experience.
But, reading the USCIS info, they practically tell them what to do to bypass the system. Another party who was the victim of the 'spousal abuse' card, said he reported it, but nothing was done about it.
Not sure how we get attention to those who are and have been overstepping the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration